• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Firefox Beta now available
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/beta </div></div>

Save your time. 44mb footprint and Force Close city. When it does work it's not even as fast as the stock browser. I like some of the ideas and knowing Mozilla it has promise but it's just not quite ready for prime time and IMO it's not even beta worthy. I've tried Fennec and now Firefox and it's still a LONG ways from being useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone else getting ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE battery life on their Droid since the install of FroYo? </div></div>
What do you consider "absolutely terrible" and what phone do you have? </div></div>

1st off I have an original Moto Droid. As far as terrible goes last night I went to sleep with the phone at 100% charge and woke up this a.m. at 70%. Low/no use standby should be longer than depleting my battery by 5% per hour. When I actually use my phone during the day I am lucky to start my day off at 8:00 a.m. and get home at 6:00 p.m. without having to get the phone on the charger.

I don't have any extraneous apps running on the phone all the time.

Will probably get it over the the VZW store sometime in the coming weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone else getting ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE battery life on their Droid since the install of FroYo? </div></div>
What do you consider "absolutely terrible" and what phone do you have? </div></div>

1st off I have an original Moto Droid. As far as terrible goes last night I went to sleep with the phone at 100% charge and woke up this a.m. at 70%. Low/no use standby should be longer than depleting my battery by 5% per hour. When I actually use my phone during the day I am lucky to start my day off at 8:00 a.m. and get home at 6:00 p.m. without having to get the phone on the charger.

I don't have any extraneous apps running on the phone all the time.

Will probably get it over the the VZW store sometime in the coming weeks. </div></div>

Are you running 2.2?
Yeah that sucks. Do you use the battery saver mode in Battery manager? If I go to bed at 100%, it.s basically 100% the next morning. In this mode it stops data service 15 min after you last use it, the phone still works.

Right now my battery shows 30% and its been 1 day, 17 hours 46 minutes and 17 seconds since it was unplugged. The app on my phone estimates my battery life at 49 hours. I would rate this at moderate use, and am really happy with it.

You can set the times that the battery saver mode is in effect, say 10 pm -5am, it is very customizable. Found under settings/battery manager/battery mode/custom battery saver.

Is there a comprehensive guide to overclocking the moto droid?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the keyboard on the Droid 2? </div></div>

I just got the Droid 2 the other day.. The keyboard isn't bad, it taks a bit to get used. I still make mistakes typing on the dam thing..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to get viruses in Motorola Droid X?? </div></div>

Yes. Any computer operating system is subject to viruses. That includes Apple, Linux, Windows... all of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to get viruses in Motorola Droid X?? </div></div>

Possible? Yes. Likely or even probable? No. I refuse to run a virus app on my Droid because they're resource hogs and pretty pointless at this stage of the game.

Just got an email today that the Otterbox Defender series is out for the Incredible..... a few keystrokes of the credit card number and it is on its way!!

For all you speed freaks, 2 new apps today in the market to over clock a rooted droid. Some people who can hack these phones won't need thies apps. But for dolts like me an easy app with a good GUI is worth the .99 cent each cost. I have em both and like the Droid X/2 Overclock the best. I'm running 1.35 GHZ on my Droid X and getting a Quadrant score of 1730! Waiting on the effect on battery life tho, may have to back off a bit. Here they are.

Droid X/2 Overclock

DX/D2 Overclocker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB3506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got an email today that the Otterbox Defender series is out for the Incredible..... a few keystrokes of the credit card number and it is on its way!! </div></div>

Post back your opinion of it once you've received it and installed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB3506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got an email today that the Otterbox Defender series is out for the Incredible..... a few keystrokes of the credit card number and it is on its way!! </div></div>

Post back your opinion of it once you've received it and installed it. </div></div>

I LOVE the OB Commuter series. I had it for my last two Blackberries. Not available for the Droid X yet. I'll buy one when it is tho. The Defender is a bit tougher, but for my taste added too much bulk. But if you need bulletproofr it should fit the bill. Not waterproof tho.

Ok I have a question has anyone had any luck tethering their phone to their laptop? I have heard its not exactly kosher and that you may get charged just like if I was using my wifi hotspot. FYI I have a droid x {running version 2.3.15} and I'm looking at using pdanet version 2.45 to usb tether my phone to my laptop without getting charged extra. Thanks in advance

Wireless tethering is easily accomplished on rooted phones, and there's not extra charges from the provider.
I use the app called "Wireless Tether" on my rooted Incredible.

Your best bet is to start on the forums at XDA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Having gone from a G1 to a iphone for a brief time period and now with a Droid X, the Android operating system is just more user friendly and a hell of a lot more customizable then Apples operating system.

Droid does!

Incredible owners may want to give this ROM a shot.
It's based on the EVO software and it screams on the INC.
Also has built in wifi hotspot functionality (the kind you don't pay for).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809985

WarmTwoPointTwoDisplay.jpg

I got great scores on my Incredible with it.
lCML1.jpg

Holy hell that's smokin.

I was loving my Droid X until I upgraded to Froyo, then it got glitchy as hell. Camera and video wouldn't work without rebooting half of the time, music wouldn't play, etc. I was about to call Verizon about it when a friend recommended a factory reset using the instructions here: LINK. It's now running like it did before the upgrade only faster. I love it again.

Tucker;
You and Sean (the author of Shooter) got me to the point where I was comfortable with rooting.
Thanks; to both of you. Sean gave me the details, but your exploits were a big help.

My original Motorola Droid became a POS when they pushed the two updates after 2.1.1.

It went from a phone I really liked to a dog-tired slow POS in no time.

I have not run any custom roms so far....the stock 2.1.1 has been awesome for me. I dumped some of the standard apps and it is, once again, lean and mean. Google and Motorola should have stopped at that version for the Droid-1, if you ask me.

Just picked up a droid 2 love this thing so far. Only problem with it, it will not connect to wifi, version said its a moto problem, they know about it and are working on it. Anyone else have this kind of problem???

Have had my X for a week now, and I love it. Have note had any issues with it. Working on getting some good apps loaded. For those new to the APP phone, how does one write an app...is there a specific developer kernel or SDK that is available for android?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My original Motorola Droid became a POS when they pushed the two updates after 2.1.1.

It went from a phone I really liked to a dog-tired slow POS in no time.
</div></div>

This could explain why I have noticed mine getting slower too. Am I the only one who doesn't like the Droid phone (I have the original one)? Granted I'm not very tech savy going from a flip phone to this thing, but I am not impressed with it.

Many web sites are a real PITA to navigate, and it's always going to the wrong link I try to select, even Google which this phone is supposed to support. One of my biggest peeves with the phone right now is I can not change the screen time out time. No matter what I select, it keeps going back to 30 seconds, and it's pissing me off.

I also think the camera takes pretty crappy pictures, my g/f's BB takes much better pics.

Yes, the camera is poor on the original Droid.
I got a Droid-X for my girl and that camera is much better.

I never had a problem with screen-timeout.
I had numerous problems with the Alarm-clock being reliable after the 2.2 updates came out...both of them.

I may not be on the cutting edge, now, but at least it is reliable.

Need help with the Shooter app. I've had this app for a good while now, and I really like the app accept for one problem. I turn the auto atmosphere on and at a 1000 yards it will tell 22.8 moa. which is right for my rifle.
Exit the program and come back 10 min later it will tell 1000 yard moa 13.8.
I know what's causing, but don't know to correct it. The density altitude box is the culprit I think. It's putting this number and text in the box. 9.223372036854776e1. Besides switching off the auto atmosphere what can I do? This happens on a regular basis.

astro, contact the app developer.
Rumor has it that he's a member here.

Had an over air update on my EVO today and when it was done my Swype wouldn't work. Low and behold, it was installed on my phone with the update. I uninstantiated the beta version and rebooted and all works fine now.

If you have the original Droid and you're rooted, then you've mist likely been seeing a message prompting you to install the latest update from Verizon.
Trying to install it typically fails, because your phone is using a non-stock recovery method that protects itself from being overwritten.

If you want to get rid of the annoying reminder, get fully up to speed on the updates, and keep root, overclocking, etc., you'll need to follow the directions on this link for applying the update manually.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/104030-rooted-stock-odexed-deodexed-frg83d.html

I chose, for now, to stick with 2.1 update 1.
I got rid of the reminder by renaming the SystemUpdate.apk and .odex files, rebooting, and then uninstalling the System Updates App via the Application Manager.
I used this method to remove many unwanted apps from my phone without problems. Calendar, Facebook, Gmail(I use the regular e-mail app for that), and many others are gone from my phone.

SystemUpdate.apk becomes SystemUpdate.kpa, and so on.
This makes it easy to return them to the original name should you decide you need the files at a later date.

Rafael,
Do you have a link to detailed instructions on doing that?

Sorry, no. I just started messing around with it and found those items I was looking for. Dumb luck.
laugh.gif

I had reverted back to 2.1_update-1 a while back because Froyo fucked me on accessing my corporate stuff when it killed certificates.

I used EasyRoot to root my phone.
Purchased and installed Root Explorer.
Then I just started messing around with the files.

When you start Root Explorer, scroll down to the "system" folder and open it. Then open the "app" folder. All the apps I have removed were in this folder. Press and hold on a file and you can select "rename".....and just rename it.
Be careful what you remove!!!!!!....you could possibly trash the OS if you are not careful.

I will post a list of the apps I have renamed without problems.
Give me a few minutes.

Warning! This is your phone, not mine. If you break it, don't blame me.

The following files have been renamed on my original Motorola Droid. Just reverse the letters in the file extension(Calendar.apk becomes Calendar.kpa, Calendar.odex becomes Calendar.xedo). When you rename them the system does not run them because they are not recognized as an executable file. Reboot the phone and these apps will appear in the "Applications" list in phone settings....just like any app you got from the Market.....though sometimes the names are not what you expected. I removed all of these apps. I left the renamed files in place just in case I want to go back....just in case I screw anything up. The system simply ignores them. Been running like this for a month without problems, though I just removed the SystemUpdater about a week ago.

Calendar.apk (I only use my one corp calendar, from Touchdown)
Calendar.odex

com.amazon.mp3.apk (Amazon MP3)

CorpCal.apk (No use for it, I use Touchdown for Corp stuff)
CorpCal.odex

Facebook.apk (No use for it)
Facebook.odex

Gmail.apk (The regular e-mail app works fine for this if you set it up with your Gmail account, why have two apps?)
Gmail.odex

GoogleBackupTransport.apk (I don't want my info synced to the cloud)
GoogleBackupTransport.odex

GoogleGoggles.apk (pretty useless if you ask me)
GoogleGoggles.odex

SystemUpdater.apk (Removing this stops OTA updates)
SystemUpdater.odex

Talk.apk (Never used it, don't want to)
Talk.odex

UserDictionaryProvider.apk (No need for it)
UserDictionaryProvider.odex

VoiceDialer.apk (I almost never used it and it was always running)
VoiceDialer.odex

VpnServices.apk (Don't need it)
VpnServices.odec

I also totally deleted the Latin stuff and the stupid little tutorial. They are worthless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of apps worth a look. Both are now free.

Google Voice Action
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGbYVvU0Z5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGbYVvU0Z5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Vlingo - Was $10 before Google released theirs for free.
Now it's free too.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7cNlIeQNl8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7cNlIeQNl8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Ok maybe it only understands queer words like Guggenheim or I'm not really excited when I talk. When I use Google voice actions it doesn't ever get it right. Is there a way to calibrate it to how I talk?

Anybody want to tell me how to root my Samsung Acclaim?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anybody want to tell me how to root my Samsung Acclaim? </div></div>

This is where I have picked up some knowledge:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-acclaim/
That link takes you to the section dedicated to the Acclaim.