• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

Didn't say it was easy.
smile.gif
But after a few of them you get used to what you can "use a little more force" with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't say it was easy.
smile.gif
But after a few of them you get used to what you can "use a little more force" with. </div></div>

Now you admit that?
laugh.gif

When I had it fully broken down I was thinking I would never be using this phone again.
I got it together but it was a challenge.
I didn't break anything but one of the little plastic covers on the back that is held in place by glue.......it suffered a small crack that you can only see in bright light. Does not affect function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Casio Commando website is up.
I had heard it would not be rated for submersion, only driving rain. The specs show it is rated for 1 meter of submersion for 30 minutes.

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/
</div></div>
That means it will take a toilet drop.
smile.gif

I got to fondle the Casio Commando today at a Verizon store.
It is built just like the GzOnes we have seen before.....rugged.

The glass on the digitizer is reported to be 1mm thick.
I tapped on the screen with a fingernail, and then on my original Droid. The Casio sounds like you are tapping on a piece of marble, and mine sounds like it should....very thin glass.

The touch and app response is very fast......makes my phone seem quite slow in comparison. Screen brightness and clarity are excellent.
Weight is what you would expect.....not too heavy.

This would be my first choice in a current phone given my tendancy to be rough on them. I don't see any negatives other than the lack of LTE(4G) capability....but my area won't have that for some time.

Just put Gingerbread (OS 2.3.3) on my Droid2 last night. Anyone else running it yet? I really like the changes so far, but I am struggling to get swype working again
mad.gif

For a good free gps app, use gps status. You can mark one spot, go to another (doesnt have to be a straight line), and it will give you the distance. I used it before I had a rangefinder, then when I got a bushnell fusion, I checked it against the gps status, got the same distances from both.

I have an incredible unrooted, whats to really gain by rooting it? I know nothing about that type of thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have an incredible unrooted, whats to really gain by rooting it? I know nothing about that type of thing. </div></div>

The biggest benefit for me is that I now have a free wifi hotspot everywhere I go. I'm also able to overclock the processor and increase the phone's performance.

I found a way to hack the hotspot, without root, you have to edit a the si.dun and something else.

How hard is it to root?

It is not hard at all. Which phone have you?

I have another I am trying to unroot at the moment...anyone knows how to do it on a D2, let me know. My problem is it is the r2d2 and I haven't found a way to maintain that....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcat Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not hard at all. Which phone have you?

I have another I am trying to unroot at the moment...anyone knows how to do it on a D2, let me know. My problem is it is the r2d2 and I haven't found a way to maintain that....</div></div>

Z4Root or SBF back to stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcat Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not hard at all. Which phone have you?

I have another I am trying to unroot at the moment...anyone knows how to do it on a D2, let me know. My problem is it is the r2d2 and I haven't found a way to maintain that....</div></div>

Z4Root or SBF back to stock
</div></div>

yeah....in the middle of reactivating the phone so I can use z4root.

I got it to work. for some reason it took like 4 tries, but we are good!

Side note.....anyone know of an R2D2 rom for OS2.3.3? I lost all the R2 features when I installed gingerbread.

About to make the jump from the blackberry world to the android world.......going with the droid 2x any objections? I am on the verizon net work if it makes any difference!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About to make the jump from the blackberry world to the android world.......going with the droid 2x any objections? I am on the verizon net work if it makes any difference! </div></div>

Im pretty new to this but getting ready to make th switch....any reason you wouldnt go with the 4G?

As I understand it you can get an unlimited plan for $69.99 but have to add a $29.99 package which makes the total right at $100.00p/month. That would be nice as you also get full unlimited internet access. I hate to keep spending the money to keep my laptop going....does anyone know of a way/app to go wireless from the droid to the laptop for watching movies etc. Or even a cord would be ok. Is this possible?

4G would be nice, but I have not had a problem with the speeds of 3G, so far.

Were I buying new, right now, I would seriously consider the Casio Commando.

I have already suffered a broken screen which I replaced, and had my phone get whacky from sweat.

I miss the ruggedness of my last Casio ruggedized (non-smart) phone.
The new Commando (Android based) is water proof as well as shock resistant. Verizon has it.

Easy Tether Lite in Android Market works without root on most with a USB cable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy Tether Lite in Android Market works without root on most with a USB cable. </div></div>

Thanks

Goldie, pda net, tether also work. Depending on the phone you get, sometimes you can "hack" the phone a little bit by changing some dots and letters in the settings menus, thats what I did to my htc incredible, and now I can use it as a 3g hot spot.

4G is nice but the 4G cover is so scattered right now at least in my area the extra $100 for 4G capaible phone is not really worth it for me now. Heres my main issue WHICH PHONE!!!!
Droid 2x
Droid Incredible 2 by HTC
Droid Charge (4G)
HTC Thunderbolt (4G)

Regarding the question about running the laptop from your phone: You can buy a 15 dollar a month service from Verizon that adds "hotspot" capability. Your phone already has it, but you have to activate with Verizon. I use it when we travel for the winter, and use the phone as a hotspot. up to 5 Gig, and it is month to month, so you can activate/deactiviate without a service or connect/disconnect fee. Internet is free on your phone, and unlimited (as long as you have the mandatory data fee) and anything OFF the phone (a laptop) requires the hotspot fee.
Up to 5 computers can hang on your hotspot.
In actual use, I found that signal was piss poor in most areas on Ft Sam Houston (where I used it the most) so it was not very useful there.
I use the phone alone to check email, and browse the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4G is nice but the 4G cover is so scattered right now at least in my area the extra $100 for 4G capaible phone is not really worth it for me now. Heres my main issue WHICH PHONE!!!!
Droid 2x
Droid Charge (4G)
HTC Thunderbolt (4G) </div></div>

If those are your options: HTC Thunderbolt and it's not even close. It's a MUCH better phone than the others you've listed. WELL worth whatever extra money it costs. Pro Tip: Amazon sells them MUCH cheaper than the providers and you should be able to get them to price match. That's what we did with our Evo 4G's when we switched to Sprint. We got three of them at $119ea when Sprint wanted $299 minus a generous $100 mail in rebate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the question about running the laptop from your phone: You can buy a 15 dollar a month service from Verizon that adds "hotspot" capability. Your phone already has it, but you have to activate with Verizon. I use it when we travel for the winter, and use the phone as a hotspot. up to 5 Gig, and it is month to month, so you can activate/deactivate without a service or connect/disconnect fee. Internet is free on your phone, and unlimited (as long as you have the mandatory data fee) and anything OFF the phone (a laptop) requires the hotspot fee.
Up to 5 computers can hang on your hotspot.
In actual use, I found that signal was piss poor in most areas on Ft Sam Houston (where I used it the most) so it was not very useful there.
I use the phone alone to check email, and browse the Internet.

</div></div>
Do they have any type of "gig tracker" that you can get to see how much u are/have used on your data plan? Seems like someone would have a app for that or something along those lines!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4G is nice but the 4G cover is so scattered right now at least in my area the extra $100 for 4G capaible phone is not really worth it for me now. Heres my main issue WHICH PHONE!!!!
Droid 2x
Droid Charge (4G)
HTC Thunderbolt (4G) </div></div>

If those are your options: HTC Thunderbolt and it's not even close. It's a MUCH better phone than the others you've listed. WELL worth whatever extra money it costs. Pro Tip: Amazon sells them MUCH cheaper than the providers and you should be able to get them to price match. That's what we did with our Evo 4G's when we switched to Sprint. We got three of them at $119ea when Sprint wanted $299 minus a generous $100 mail in rebate. </div></div>
+1 love my Thunderbolt Hate the battery life but I will manage. I get 4G everywhere I go and it is amazingly fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apps I like so far:
Store Finder
Stocks
Color Capture
DirecTV
Craigs Notification
Shotgun
BuzzBox
DivX Player
Shazam
Bar Code Scanner
Google Maps
Bubble Level </div></div>

Don't forget Angry Birds lol.

Verizon shows data usage on my home screen keeps it updated and recycles it to zero each new monthly cycle

Funny thing i went to the Verizon store and they just rolled out 4G last week in my area!! So i got the Samsung Charge, at least i thinks that its called! Love the change and all the stress of going from a blackberry to a Droid style phone is over!

Running a Casio Commando now.
My Droid-1 was dying a slow death.

I like the Casio.....Great phone!
The GPS is VERY fast. Shooter runs well on this device.

I like not having to worry about sweat or rain.....the Commando manual tells you to rinse off the phone if it gets dirty.

Of course, I already Rooted mine and dumped all the bloat-ware.

My original Droid had been getting slower and slower. Monday I pulled all the extra apps and files off that I haven't used in months. I then did a data, cache, and Dalvik cache wipe 3x and installed a rooted FRG83G (last version of Froyo) rom from Peter Alfonso. I've got it running with the kernel it came with at 700MHz and have <span style="font-style: italic">much</span> better battery life and performance. This little thing is still going strong, but I am admittedly already looking for what I'm upgrading to in November (sigh).

Is there a way to get all the factor installed apps off of your droid? I have 3 pages of apps that i never use and i am sure it is eating up my speed and battery life, any help?!?!?

It does take a little time and effort. Rooting is your first stop, and if you're not careful with taking some of those preinstalled apps off you can really screw up your OS and get to start from scratch.

I have removed 76 original apps from the Casio Commando so far, after Rooting.
There is a ton of bloatware on the Casio.

It's nice to have an Android phone that can take rain, sweat, and some pretty good knocking around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have removed 76 original apps from the Casio Commando so far, after Rooting.
There is a ton of bloatware on the Casio.

It's nice to have an Android phone that can take rain, sweat, and some pretty good knocking around. </div></div>

Does Rooting affect your insurance converage on your phone or warranty? My Commando should arrive today and I've never heard of the term rooting before this thread... Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does Rooting affect your insurance converage on your phone or warranty? </div></div>

If your phone bricks to the point that you cannot get it back to its original state then there may be a problem with warranty/insurance.
But that's a very narrow window of circumstances.

Most warranty/insurance is going to come into play of the phone stops functioning or is crushed, etc.
In those types of cases, if they can't get it running then they can't tell it's rooted.

I'm impatiently awaiting the release of the Galaxy Nexus. It's about time to upgrade my "dumb phone"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm impatiently awaiting the release of the Galaxy Nexus. It's about time to upgrade my "dumb phone"! </div></div>

I am awaiting this one as well.

So Rafael, whats the easiest way to root my commando? Im writing this from it right now. Overall I like it but I hate how I cant adjust my touch screen sensitivity... least I cant figure out how like I could on my old incredible... and remember im not very tech savy lol

Rooting, especially on the commando, is not for beginners.
No offense.....I am no expert either.

This site has the most info on the Commando:
http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando/
Look in the "All things Root" forum for Rooting info.
I suggest you do lots of reading at that site until you feel comfortable with trying out rooting this phone.

Many phones can be booted to a recovery screen if you screw up the operating system. The Commando has no such feature. If you brick the phone....it stays bricked until it goes back to the manufacturer as an exchange for a replacement. This may cost you!

I do not know of any way to adjust screen sensitivity, even after rooting.
The Commando screen is less sensitive than other phones, but it should be....the glass is almost twice as thick as most phones screens. Give it time....you will adjust to it. I adjusted to it just fine.

The Commando gives up a few things to be tough as it is. In my opinion the tradeoff is well worth it. It's funny to see the reaction people have when you hold it under running water.

If I had to gripe about anything it would be the software. The hardware is excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><--- wishes he would've stuck with his Blackberry. Do I like my Droid? Sure. Functional? Yes. Love it? Not really... </div></div>

That is a typical initial reaction from a Blackberry user.
I never had a Blackberry and only messed with them in a limited manner when friends would share theirs. I couldn't imagine having to switch from my Android phone to something as counter-intuitive and clunky as one of those things.