• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

I had to use a Blackberry for a while for work. It was alright but now that I have free reign to choose whatever phone I want there's no way I would go back to BB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rooting, especially on the commando, is not for beginners.
No offense.....I am no expert either.

This site has the most info on the Commando:
http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando/
Look in the "All things Root" forum for Rooting info.
I suggest you do lots of reading at that site until you feel comfortable with trying out rooting this phone.

Many phones can be booted to a recovery screen if you screw up the operating system. The Commando has no such feature. If you brick the phone....it stays bricked until it goes back to the manufacturer as an exchange for a replacement. This may cost you!

I do not know of any way to adjust screen sensitivity, even after rooting.
The Commando screen is less sensitive than other phones, but it should be....the glass is almost twice as thick as most phones screens. Give it time....you will adjust to it. I adjusted to it just fine.

The Commando gives up a few things to be tough as it is. In my opinion the tradeoff is well worth it. It's funny to see the reaction people have when you hold it under running water.

If I had to gripe about anything it would be the software. The hardware is excellent. </div></div>

No offense taken, everybody has to start somewhere. I am getting used to the screen... although it seems the one I handled in the verizon store had a more sensitive screen than this one. Might be the screen protector on it as well...

Before I try anything I'll read up on it and feel like I grasp the concept...

I want to ask though, are the benefits worth the hassle? My old incredible was slightly faster screen to screen and with apps than this commando. Though I still enjoy this phone and don't have any REAL complaints so far...

".... are the benefits worth the hassle?"

That really depends on how much control you want over the phone you purchased.

If you look up all the reveiews of the apps like Bing search, VZW Navigator, and the like you will see that the bulk of the reviews are negative. Most are complaining that they cannot remove these apps from their phones.

Until the recent update my phone was much faster and battry life was much improved by rooting. It seems they found a way to negate some of the benefit in rooting in the this update. Who knows what the next update will bring.

Also, someone just figured out a way to actually apply a custom ROM to this phone. We may see some significant improvements with a custom ROM once one is engineered.

It is worth it to me. You may not agree.

The Commando is no speed demon, but it is pretty capable.
It is a compromise.

True story:

I still have my original droid from launch date Nov' 2009.

Its been dropped, beat, run over, fallen from a low altitude uh60 blackhawk, lost on a mountain covered with UXO's (goddamn Ft Irwin), survived a motorcycle wreck with me, and was once left in my freezer for a couple days.

The damn thing still works. and still has all the OEM parts.

I just installed CM 7 on my INC and my wife's Droid. Good grief, why did I put that off for so long? They both are running like rabbits with jalapenos up their asses!

What's new in cool apps?

So I've had my new Casio Gzone for a few weeks now. Not a big fan I think I got a lemon. The clock continues to freeze up, the text inpute sucks, some areas of the screen I have to push REALLY hard sometimes for it to read, the text scroll doesn't show up sometimes, and the other day it froze up to the point where I couldn't bring up the display while playing from Slacker radio. Had to take the battery out and reset the phone. I probably shut this thing off every third day or so to reset some features that freeze up on me.

I don't like the camera settings, and you can't adjust your screen sensitivity. It does seem bulletproof though I might try to take it back and see if I can't get a newer Gzone as this one is really "buggy".

Coming from the Droid Incredible, I'll say that the Incredible was 2X the phone this one is as far as having a smart phone. If I just wanted a phone I would've bought a non-smart phone, but this Gzone is lacking in the smart phone category.

Mike

While the camera on this phone is no contest winner, it does sound like you got a dud.
I have not had clock problems.
Text input works well on mine though it is certainly less sensitive to touch than my last Android phone.

I'm really liking the looks of the Razr.
Kevlar case...gorilla glass...dual core CPU.
It's been rooted and custom ROMs can't be too far away.

So Im looking to upgrade from my dumb phone soon. Im with Verizon and love the coveraage, esp. since my wifi is with them as well. I actualy booked a hotel room while in the middle of the Arizona desert with my girlfriend driving...quite handy if you travel. My only hesitation is that I remember reading in one of these threads that in the newest phones they have some sort of tracking? or something that keeps tabs on what you do, where you go, etc, (Seems it was a bit sinister, but dont remember what exactly it is. Not that I do anything wrong, but I just dont trust big brother as far as I can throw one Shankdster's heftys. The more they want, the more threatened I feel and the less I want to give. Does anyone remember this topic? Can you up date me with out having to look through a zillion posts on many threads. Any help would be appreciated.

Razr looks like the one, Tucker.

Android now has 53% of the market share.
Article

The latest cool app I've used is one called Locus Free.
It's a GPS navigation app that lets you download maps and cache them to the phone's storage card so that you navigate without a cell signal.
You can also lay out a track and record tracks.

Locus Free

I got the new Razor Max and it truly does have the best battery life. I use my phone for business emails calls text all day long and can go 15 plus hours and it will not even be half way down.

Maggot, all cells have been able to be tracked since 03 or 04 I think. Look at this way, they can track the PHONE all they want, doesnt mean they are tracking YOU!