• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drone Shooting lessons

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
When my sons were young...I was a good father and enrolled them in a sporting clays league. We learned how to shoot skeet and had a ball.

If the next generation were concerned about drones flying where they shouldn't be flying....where would one get drone shooting lessons? Obviously a 20 ga over and under Beretta Silver Pigeon is not going to be the tool of choice

this gets me back to the ol' college days when we would sit around and scheme how you might do this or that - all kinda crazy scenarios.

we would also watch American Gladiator and hypothesize the best strategy to win each challenge.

hypothetically, there would be 2 ways to clear the air.

One way to deal with a drone would be to fly another drone and drop some lightweight stringy stuff into a propeller / rotor blades. I don't know anything about drones, but we all may need to know more about them pretty soon.

I guess a drone has four or more helicopter-type rotors/blades that blow air downward. So, they would be drawing air in from the immediate vicinity above them. Any stringy stuff that does not sink too fast could be wafted just above a fan. I am thinking like the ribbon on a birthday gift.

Once one strand got wound around one prop, the deal is pretty much done.

I guess you could develop a new kind of shot shell to shoot confetti strands in the air once the drones showed up.

The other way would be to interfere with the radio signal - jam the frequency. i have seen stories of people using drones, and it seems like the drones have some way of handling things when they get out of range - somehow they drone themselves back home and get themselves back into range. So, if a drone can drone itself back home if out-of-contact, you would have to jam the frequency for a fairly long time - like a minute or more - to discourage the operator. If you knew the frequency, you could fly a drone up there with a jammer to interfere/jam for a while. A jam of a few moments would not work cuz the drone would turn home, then pick the signal back up, then get back to work.

We fell for the helicopter toy scam at Christmas, and got one of those small RC helicopters that a well-trained person can fly really well. It seemed like once it got out of range, the blades spun slower and it just descended. If you were quick, you could catch it in your hand. It was a fun time for the 3 or 4 flights until yet another crash landing jacked it up for good. That was a fun $50.

Shooting at a drone would be incredibly amazing or stupid--
Getting a bird on the wing is well within the ability of many a dove-hunter within 100 yards. The bird shot is not going to travel much farther than your target zone. So, you can pretty much follow the shooting rule abt don't point the gun at anything unless you plan to destroy it.
A rifle could certainly open the drone range up a lot - if you were lucky enough to be challenged by a hovering drone. Many riflemen could certainly hit a drone at 300 yards and farther if conditions are right...

If the game is moving predictably but quick, a good hunter might get it at how many? maybe 300 yards. If the target is walking, a hunter or sniper, with great skill and favorable conditions, and one shot, might peg a target at what? 500 yards? Sure, there are 1-mile kills, but we are talking a drone here.

But imagine you are trying to get a drone at 500 yards. You shoot a .308 into the air. You really need a lot of clear real estate to be confident abt where that bullet is going to come down. Plus, no insult to snipers, but the air currents 20 yards up are different from ground level up to 10, then 20, yards - if you are trying to hit something at an altitude of 400 yards, you have no tree limbs to look at.

Imagine 500 yards is the hypotenuse. The drone might be 300 yards away from you, and 400 yards up in the air.
And it is moving a bit, even if hovering. You would have to totally know that a great deal of real estate beyond the drone was free of anything you might not want to destroy.

i hate to rain on the parade. Shooting a drone out of the air sounds like fun. As long as you have enough money to use them instead of clays. That is the zone of the wealthy friend who brings you and a couple buddies along for some fun you could never afford.

It is great to have friends like that. Go ahead and practice shooting drones if your friend is independently wealthy and thinks it sound like fun.

Overall, I think the specialty confetti-string round would be the best.

You could fire such a round out of potato gun. Once the drone operator saw that the air was strewn with stringy stuff, they would back off. You could figure out a way to do this that would pose little danger to those in the vicinity, if a shell or debris landed on them. I have had debris from an official firework display land on me - including neighborhood display, with the stuff still ember-orange. No real harm from that ember or cardboard.

--On top of all of that, I have heard ppl say that drones really operate out of rifle range, anyway. To conduct any kind of surveillance, or drop a load on you, they can do this from a distance beyond 1,000 yards. It is scary to think about. Satellites in outer space have the resolution to allow you to see your house and car, so a drone can have the resolution to survey your property with a lot more accuracy than your $150 Walmark digital camera.

So, in my sci-fi imagination, jamming the frequency or temporarily polluting the airspace with strands of something -mylar? wold be an answer.

I have no idea how to jam a frequency. i am just drawing on the movies and such. You would have to have a drone on an unlikely frequency, then use a broad-range jammer.

I have actually thought about this, from a little reading it sounds like average drone speed is 50 mph, police drones average altitude is 400 feet, you would need roughly a 29 mil lead to connect with a 308. Hit probability would be pretty slim, at least for me anyway

Get a video game programmer and a chemist together. Not going to say more than that...

Any thing you do would almost certainly be highly illegal, and would end up getting your but sued.

My buddies uncle doesn't have a drone problem, he has an airfield in his back yard, his own personal one, as such things can't be flown within a certain high and radius.

Any thing you do would almost certainly be highly illegal, and would end up getting your but sued.

My buddies uncle doesn't have a drone problem, he has an airfield in his back yard, his own personal one, as such things can't be flown within a certain high and radius.

In tn harassing wildlife with drones is a crime. However using a firearm to stop a crime is not. I'm paraphrasing here but that's the gist of it.

If his airfield is registered with the FAA, he is actually less protected from .gov drone intrusions under the current laws (assuming our 'leaders' even care about that). According to recent court ruling, the airspace over OUR property is OURS up to the point where FAA controlled airspace begins. On airfields, even private ones (R symbol in the charts), the FAA jurisdiction goes all the way down to the soil - where airplanes stop being aerial vehicles. Having registered his own air field would also preclude him from flying his own drones there unless he gets FAA permission to do so.

I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV but I do fly airplanes - FWIW.

Last edited:
Interfere with the drone's datalink.

Not sure of the legalities, or the how-to (a laser?), but it would be safer than trying to shoot it down in a populated area.

Sooner or later, someone with the skills and knowledge will put forth (sell most likely) plans for a control jammer, of course it would only be for educational purposes only, and may very well be illegal to actually build or use one.

20mm vulcan, stinger, patriot missile, an old I Hawk will suffice, the patriot will be most effective in dealing with a stealthish drone, but you have to think where they are coming from and who is sending them, there lies the ultimate solution to the drone problem, vote the order givers out. Also have to ask yourself why you have drones flying overhead???

A good 26-30" 3.5" 12GA/10GA flavored goose gun would be a good start.

A shotgun/rifle "may" deal with the little Amazon-style toy-like drones that are soon to come, like the ones you could carry in a backpack.

However, for serious drones, like a fuggin Predator or something, Id say you would want to start learning everything you can about the radio frequency spectrum and jamming comms.

Another deal would be if you could take this puppy below, put a larger diameter lens/aperture on it for longer distance focus, and set it up zeroed to a high-powered scope and put the beam directly on the cameras/visual system of said drone. It may need a higher power output to do some real damage to the optics, but thats not so difficult:

4.4W Worlds most powerful handheld laser burning - YouTube

Needless to say this is all hypothetical and likely illegal as all hell.

Ever been to knob creek, Kentucky? They shoot them down pretty quick there.

drone_loads.jpg
Here is your answer!!!

I cant find the direct example, but this article alludes to the Chinese using lasers to blind surveillance satellites. So IMO, if it can be done to a satellite then a drone shouldnt be very hard:

US Wants to Defend Satellites From Laser Attack

Its gonna take some type of very steady tripod-mount or similar though. Not to mention laser beams can do strange things depending on atmospheric conditions. A clear day shouldnt present too many problems at the ranges were talking about though.

Again, this is illegal as all hell and completely hypothetical. They have massive fines and punishments for pointing lasers at airplanes due to the obvious consequences. If we got an infestation of rogue out-of-control drones though ;) then Id say it might be a good place to start until good radio jamming techniques can be learned. One could then use this as a combined Electronic Warfare effort. AAA would obviously be welcome as well. A good crew on a BMG M2 with high-angle ability might even be able to do the job with specially selected terrain.

These threads always crack me up! All this talk about busting drones, but you do realize you can't see or hear it, no? I have had CAS from a predator on a couple occasions, and you could neither see, nor hear it, yet it was close enough to do some serious damage.

These threads always crack me up! All this talk about busting drones, but you do realize you can't see or hear it, no? I have had CAS from a predator on a couple occasions, and you could neither see, nor hear it, yet it was close enough to do some serious damage.

What's so funny? The Remington Drone Loads are hot and capable of de-droning shots with my 870 up to 2270 yards? Don't hate:)

By the way I do see them all the time, they follow me everywhere I go.....

LOL Drone shooting lessons with a shotgun...LOL

I was half a mile aw ay and none of the runners even saw or heard me.

THAT SAID - I don't carry high optical gear for sp ying, a GoPro keeps things low eno ugh resolution that you cannot make out the names and faces.

My fixed wing fly much higher and you would never even know they were there.
Novel concept but to properly shoot one down invest in some 1.3, 1.2, 2.3, 2.4, and 5.8 Ghz video transmitting equipment and 433 ham jamming devices :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx22qnPCN-k&list=PL9B682BC9B659F299

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhiniANi-E

What's so funny? The Remington Drone Loads are hot and capable of de-droning shots with my 870 up to 2270 yards? Don't hate:)

By the way I do see them all the time, they follow me everywhere I go.....

People still don't believe me that they follow me around all the time but I got a photo of one trailing me in Seattle the other day.

a9v9er.jpg

What's the problem with drones? PETA sponsored some surveillance drones recently and I picked one up cheap...............................it's great for deer scouting, saves me lots of legwork!