• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drones for personal use

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Im thinking of getting a drone to film us on ATV rides. Anyone have experience with them? My budget is between 1k-2k. I know some have a function that will follow you around based on facial recognition. But obviously if im in my Side by Side, that option wont work. But what about vehicle recognition?

So will I need to have someone always piloting this thing while im driving? What options do you guys suggest?

There are many options, the DJI Mavic Air amongst them and possibly the most easily available (Costco has them at times). I follow some YouTubers that have them and they track vehicles just fine.

There is (at least) one - I forget if the Mavic has it - where you can carry a transmitter, like a car key-fob, and the drone will follow that even more accurately, through (for example) cluttered terrain like woods and such. Used by cyclists and runners.

No, you won't need a pilot. You will need to register it for personal use, or a license if you plan to (say) put video on YouTube and get compensation.

It'll track you. Not based on your face, based on the device you are using to run it. It's that a phone on tablet, you'll have that with you and it'll follow that. You'll launch it via that device, turn the tracking on (more or less), and then get in your side by side and ride.

Reactions: madppcs
    My Yuneec Typhoon had a “wizard” that you wore on an armband, and it would track you based off the signal from that

Im thinking of getting a drone to film us on ATV rides. Anyone have experience with them? My budget is between 1k-2k. I know some have a function that will follow you around based on facial recognition. But obviously if im in my Side by Side, that option wont work. But what about vehicle recognition?

So will I need to have someone always piloting this thing while im driving? What options do you guys suggest?
    Why do you want to look at how you relate to the landscape around you? Is it because you cannot "get it" from inside the SxS?

Here is a radical idea. When you come to an interesting area, stop, shut the SxS down and explore the area on foot.

Get yourself some hiking boots, a backpack and explore nature at a pace and soundlevel that puts your brain and body at ease. This will release endorphins and you will not feel the need to document and brag about your adrenaline injections on wheels.

Spending thousands of hours with dirt bikes, ATVs, jeeps, snow mobiles, boats, airplanes, etc. made me realize that the adrenaline highs derived from pushing these contraptions to the limits of physics are analogous to the sugar high we get from certain foods. It makes me feel more alive in the moment but at the expense of enduring nutritional value.

What I remember decades later, fondly and vividly without needing a video refresh, are the sights, sounds, and smells of the places I explored on foot after parking these contraptions.

In short: Slow down, simplify, and "smell the roses".

Last edited:
    Why do you want to look at how you relate to the landscape around you? Is it because you cannot "get it" from inside the SxS?

Here is a radical idea. When you come to an interesting area, stop, shut the SxS down and explore the area on foot.

Get yourself some hiking boots, a backpack and explore nature at a pace and soundlevel that puts your brain and body at ease. This will release endorphins and you will not feel the need to document and brag about your adrenaline injections on wheels.

Spending thousands of hours with dirt bikes, ATVs, jeeps, snow mobiles, boats, airplanes, etc. made me realize that the adrenaline highs derived from pushing these contraptions to the limits of physics are analogous to the sugar high we get from certain foods. It makes me feel more alive in the moment but at the expense of enduring nutritional value.

What I remember decades later, fondly and vividly without needing a video refresh, are the sights, sounds, and smells of the places I explored on foot after parking these contraptions.

OP- “Hey any of y’all have a good recipe for pizza?”

You- “Here’s how I change the brakes on my 99 Corolla”

Dude, you got my intentions totally wrong.
    Im wanting to film me and my riding club mud riding at mud parks. If you think thousands of drunk coonasses cooking, drinking and tearing up mud holes (Being one with nature) then Nature sure has a sense of humor.
    However, I do understand your point and in your context I agree.

Here's my Side by Side. It's sitting on 40" tractor tires, Portal 45% gear reduction, JL Audio roof, 12" kicker solobarics, rear view camera, air conditioning and heating and a bunch of other shit

Attachments

• 20211122_103822.jpg
      20211122_103822.jpg
      505.5 KB · Views: 79
    You realize it's going to fly for about a half hour at most, then land wherever it happens to be, good or bad when the battery dies. That may or may not be a big deal depending on where you're riding. (trees, water, mud or other riders to run it over, it won't care)

You realize it's going to fly for about a half hour at most, then land wherever it happens to be, good or bad when the battery dies. That may or may not be a big deal depending on where you're riding. (trees, water, mud or other riders to run it over, it won't care)
    No I dont realize. Thats the point of asking questions... But thank you for this insight

Maybe a 360 cam would do some of what you want

Own a DJI Mavic that I use at work for flying my jobsite on a weekly basis. Great little drone and the picture quality is amazing. I have also flown it inside of buildings when certain shots where required. A mentioned above battery life is an issue and will be the limiting factor on its use.

Not entirely true. Some models will land within proximity of you with the correct accessory to allow tracking. The real issue is you have to find one that will avoid obstacles in the way. Most will fly at the designated elevation you set it at the beginning of your flight. They will follow you right into a tree if you are not careful, especially if riding on trails in the woods.

Reactions: lariat
    Not entirely true. Some models will land within proximity of you with the correct accessory to allow tracking. The real issue is you have to find one that will avoid obstacles in the way. Most will fly at the designated elevation you set it at the beginning of your flight. They will follow you right into a tree if you are not careful, especially if riding on trails in the woods.
    This is true. Also be aware that the features you are looking for will begin to push you out of your price range. Long(ish) battery life, low battery alarm, low battery landing options, obstacle avoidance, HD daytime camera, SD or other recording capability, follow me option and MORE BATTERIES.

^^^^^^^My typhoon batteries used to be 100 bucks a piece, so that eats into a budget pretty quick. Don’t forget a multi station charger unless you want to wait forever. If your out and about, you’ll probably want a DC capable charger you can run off car/ATV batteries as well. I can’t count the number of chargers and batteries I have.

^^^^^^^My typhoon batteries used to be 100 bucks a piece, so that eats into a budget pretty quick. Don’t forget a multi station charger unless you want to wait forever. If your out and about, you’ll probably want a DC capable charger you can run off car/ATV batteries as well. I can’t count the number of chargers and batteries I have.
    I forgot about this and I have no idea how. Mobile multicharger is a must unless you want 5+ batteries charged and ready to go for the day and that's all you plan to use. There are plenty of good ones out there for fairly reasonable costs.

Off the top of my head here are the things you will need besides the drone:
    batteries - all of them.
    rotors - at least 4 full extra pairs
    rotor mounts (if they are replaceable)
    recharger
    equipment to use the charger with a vehicle
    repair/replace warranty
    SD cards
    WIFI hookup for your phone (if needed/wanted) for all kinds of things (map downloads, etc).
    laptop if you want to run something like Ardupilot
    Wrenches for the things you can adjust/remove/attach/detach
    2 of everything that is replaceable.
    Snivel gear for when your fingers or face get involved.

I know I'm leaving something out of the kit. Someone will chime in with the rest Im sure. My point is that you can buy a drone but its like buying a rifle - you need the scope, rings, ammo, range bag, etc.

Last edited:
    I forgot about this and I have no idea how. Mobile multicharger is a must unless you want 5+ batteries charged and ready to go for the day and that's all you plan to use. There are plenty of good ones out there for fairly reasonable costs.

Off the top of my head here are the things you will need besides the drone:
    batteries - all of them.
    rotors - at least 4 full extra pairs
    rotor mounts (if they are replaceable)
    recharger
    equipment to use the charger with a vehicle
    repair/replace warranty
    SD cards
    WIFI hookup for your phone (if needed/wanted) for all kinds of things (map downloads, etc).
    laptop if you want to run something like Ardupilot
    Wrenches for the things you can adjust/remove/attach/detach
    2 of everything that is replaceable.
    Snivel gear for when your fingers or face get involved.

I make and develop drones on the daily in my shop but I know I'm leaving something out of the kit. Someone will chime in with the rest Im sure. My point is that you can buy a drone but its like buying a rifle - you need the scope, rings, ammo, range bag, etc.
    Sometimes it’s worse than a rifle I think. But you got a good list of things going there. Rotors and motors will always leave you up shit creek fast.

OP——not a huge deal, but also need to consider most drones out of the box are LOS and range can get shortened by terrain and trees very fast. You can upgrade, but realistically that usually requires a Ham radio certs to be legal. Most drones will RTH when they lose connection with the radio though, so not a big deal. I could get just shy of a 1/4 mile from my launch sight here in the flatlands of estern NC. I could keep eyes on that far, I’d lose my video connection because most are bluetooth for video.

Most will fly at the designated elevation you set it at the beginning of your flight. They will follow you right into a tree if you are not careful, especially if riding on trails in the woods.
    Yep, right up until it runs out of batteries. lol

My most recent "return to home" , low battery "this is as far as I'm going" landing, it decided it was going to do it in the middle of the road. Luckily it was a dirt road with little traffic, but it did make it exciting, running to meet it, half way from it's "RTH" spot.

I'm FAR from a drone expert, only owning a simple mavic mini. I had this great video idea for up north where I hunt. I was going to fly it chest high through the woods along some of the trails that eventually lead out into our meadow. Once there I was going to take off skyward finally revealing the whole thing was shot with a drone. Planned out in my head where I would go, how it would look. Went to do it and the drone wouldn't fly into the woods. I stopped dead like it was hitting an invisible wall. I wasn't getting any on screen warnings or explanations, it just wouldn't do it. (I was standing right next to it) Even tried a running start, no go. lol I guess it's because the trees where blocking GPS signal? 'I can fly it indoors with no signal, but I can't fly it into the woods?" I guess maybe you have to start off with no signal and agree that you know you don't have it, like when you fly inside.

Last edited:
    Yep, right up until it runs out of batteries. lol

My most recent "return to home" , low battery "this is as far as I'm going" landing, it decided it was going to do it in the middle of the road. Luckily it was a dirt road with little traffic, but it did make it exciting, running to meet it, half way from it's "RTH" spot.

I'm FAR from a drone expert, only owning a simple mavic mini. I had this great video idea for up north where I hunt. I was going to fly it chest high through the woods along some of the trails that eventually lead out into our meadow. Once there I was going to take off skyward finally revealing the whole thing was shot with a drone. Planned out in my head where I would go, how it would look. Went to do it and the drone wouldn't fly into the woods. I stopped dead like it was hitting an invisible wall. I wasn't getting any on screen warnings or explanations, it just wouldn't do it. (I was standing right next to it) Even tried a running start, no go. lol I guess it's because the trees where blocking GPS signal? 'I can fly it indoors with no signal, but I can't fly it into the woods?" I guess maybe you have to start off with no signal and agree that you know you don't have it, like when you fly inside.
    Yeah that is the problem with some drones. They will not fly without a gps lock. Most of that has to do with the geofence programming. I can fly my Q500 without a gps lock, but probably not a good thing as it would have no idea where to RTH if it needed it. That and I’m not sure how well the flight telemetry would work, or how solid it would hold itself in position if I let got of them controls. I imagine it would end up like my little race drone, and be one squirrely sumbitch.

Now we got some great tips and ideas coming! You guys are awesome. I see DJI has some new models.
    What this mean to most buyers is the older ones are cheaper.

Most don't need the latest, greatest.

I would stay away from DJI. Now that they have been blacklisted by the government and parts are getting hard to find it may be best to look elsewhere. Or you may be able to pick up a used one super cheap as suggested.

I would stay away from DJI. Now that they have been blacklisted by the government and parts are getting hard to find it may be best to look elsewhere. Or you may be able to pick up a used one super cheap as suggested.
    Please educate yourself.

The "blacklist" prevents them (and a few other manufacturers based in China) from obtaining tech from the US. It has no impact on consumers buying their products.

There is no gub'mnt imposed "shortage", what has been seen is common across virtually every other industry due to the pandemic, and even the Suez incident a while back hit the supply chain on Asian-sourced products. Parts and products are not "restricted" or being banned.

I've heard DJI described as the Apple of drones. In that they may not necessarily be the best drones, but they have the best/easiest user friendly interface , especially for new users.

I've heard DJI described as the Apple of drones. In that they may not necessarily be the best drones, but they have the best/easiest user friendly interface , especially for new users.
    They also have the biggest support network, which matters when it comes to parts and such.

Simply been around and established that network by supporting retailers.

I don't own one. I have no need. A good friend owns and operates a company that effectively saved him financially when the chinese flooded the market with cheap RC models and parts, and DJI has been instrumental in that.

Please educate yourself.

The "blacklist" prevents them (and a few other manufacturers based in China) from obtaining tech from the US. It has no impact on consumers buying their products.

There is no gub'mnt imposed "shortage", what has been seen is common across virtually every other industry due to the pandemic, and even the Suez incident a while back hit the supply chain on Asian-sourced products. Parts and products are not "restricted" or being banned.
    You are only half correct. Do you work in this industry? Do you sell this tech to the USG? Are you talking to the end users in those agencies?

I never said there was a government imposed shortage. You made that up in your head.

However, do your homework and think about next steps in this process. The blacklist doesn’t stop the security breaches resident in the consumer technology that is being sold stateside by DJI and others. There are only a few options available if they are to stop it. And those actions are coming since those consumer sales are then used for infrastructure inspection and analysis, etc. Think Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) - water, power, etc. Legislation may soon follow that regulates the type of drones that can be used on all government contracts, I’ll help you with the info but won’t lead you to the conclusions.

And then of course, there is Skyfund which is a VC firm backed by DJI here in the US. There will be some fallout there from this blacklisting as it landed directly in their wheelhouse. But there is more to this. Looking back at the secon article you see that DJI itself is being funded by the Chinese govenment, which means that Skyfund is operating on US soil with the ability to funnel US cutting edge technology straight into the Chinese war and control machine.

This trade blacklist is a convenient PR move to do what they have been going toward while maybe getting some approval points from their voting base. It would have happened without the Uighurs and it is not the last action.

I supplied the data, connect the dots.

Last edited:
    DJI is the easy choice and probably best for your mission, the smaller ones folks and can go in a backpack.

If you like to tinker

Reactions: Thumper580
    DJI had been on the shitlist for a long time. If they actually did blacklist them and start import restrictions, that would be a surprise. Probably end up just finding a way to get the “California” part enough to stay busy. Unless something crazy has changed since I really paid attention to drones.

your money your choice best of luck either way try not to be a dump ass like my friends that had them uber expensive ( to me ) first drones one took a high speed crashed into a tree and most of it stayed 80 foot up in that tree the other under water near a dam in the area it went down under the water it never came back up great video's .