• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drop charts on rifle?

What is the use case? What works in a match doesn’t necessarily translate to a hunting scenario, and visa versa.

What is the use case? What works in a match doesn’t necessarily translate to a hunting scenario, and visa versa.
Hunting so 25 or 50 yard increments out to about 7-800+ yards.

Have just been printing it out and clear taping to rifle

Not a lot of room on some rifles

D9F3CEC4-4C55-4A20-A265-FE8B2392D737.png

Reactions: JRosson and 96C
For hunting, I went to a wrist coach. With 3 clear vinyl panels, there is a lot of room to display data. On my match rifles I use a home made “sidewinder” hanging from the scope.

I don't hunt any more. But if I did I would put the dope in my wrist coach.

You could also use one of those ID holders with a clear window that hang from the neck, among many other things.

Reactions: deersniper
I use a wrist coach...a single panel..didn't like the file folder looking things...but I use the wrist coach for everything....unless I'm at the bench...then I just use my phone app.

I use a wrist coach...a single panel..didn't like the file folder looking things...but I use the wrist coach for everything....unless I'm at the bench...then I just use my phone app.
Old school freezer tape, on the scope. Won’t last much more than 25 yrs

Reactions: DirtDart

I've been please with the Hawk Hill unit for matches. It keeps the data in your view, so no breaking cheek weld to view a rifle side or wrist coach. I keep it in the low position for a better field of view. The unit comes with the dry erase board, and (I think) velcro for each side. It wouldn't be too tough to make a card for it. I just used 2" painters tape for each stage, and remove them all at once after the match.

For hunting, I'd go with the wrist coach or on the side of the rifle.

Last edited:
I just keep a laminated drop chart in my bino harness front pouch.

Reactions: jbuck88 and Secant
I dig the McNett tape on the diopter adjustment. That is definitely something I'll takeaway and use on my own setup. Nothing more frustrating that having that come loose when adjusting magnification.

Re: DOPE - I have used an arm board while hunting. It's not ideal and I'm also searching for something "better". It holds a dope chart by default.

If I'm in a fixed position, I will get an idea of where I expect things to poke out or expected shots and make a range card and fill it out (using Rite in Rain notebook).

I then tear out that range card and add it to my arm board for quick reference.

Probably a good thing....the powder formulation probably changes in that time frame...so you'd have to re-dope it ;)
Chase the lands, tip the can. Stay on the node . Maintain MV. External ballistics stay the same. New Tube, tune it, check MV. Apply a new piece of tape. Price is right. Never gets left behind

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I usually have a couple of small, laminated cards with me in various places (backpack, pocket, truck, etc). I also have one tapped to the cheek riser of my T4A. It doesn't bother me comfort wise, and its pretty easy to reference.

Has anyone experimented with different color text/backgrounds for those low light conditions critters love to get shot in?

Has anyone experimented with different color text/backgrounds for those low light conditions critters love to get shot in?

Not really...if I'm shooting something at the end of the day...it's going to be really close...because I can't see crap in the dark....if they don't drop right there..I ain't finding them until the next day. I have shot pigs and coyotes at night...but thermals are a different discussion.

I bought a roll of glow in the dark tape off Amazon. Stuck it to an index card and wrote dope on with a marker. I remember reading someone else printing dope on clear adhesive labels and putting that over the tape.

Reactions: Boltyboi
I bought a roll of glow in the dark tape off Amazon. Stuck it to an index card and wrote dope on with a marker. I remember reading someone else printing dope on clear adhesive labels and putting that over the tape.
How does it work for you? I looked at that stuff a while ago and the reviews said it didn’t work well

I'm surprised someone hasn't said, "I don't need a dope chart....my gun shoots LASERS!!!" OR the old curmudgeon saying "If you need a dope chart, it's not an ethical distance to take our majestic game!!!"

I'm surprised someone hasn't said, "I don't need a dope chart....my gun shoots LASERS!!!" OR the old curmudgeon saying "If you need a dope chart, it's not an ethical distance to take our majestic game!!!"
LMAO

I used to have an employee who would say things like “that gun they use is so akirit they don’t even need to hold over”

Would use the lightest bullets he could find for a 7mag to hunt deer.

I just keep a laminated drop chart in my bino harness front pouch.

For hunting I keep a laminated card in my range finder case. It has a slot for idk what, but its perfect for a range card. Keep a spare with my extra ammo in my bag.

Drop chart in 25 yd increments to 500 yds on hunting rigs. Just printer paper taped on with packaging tape. Works well and easy to replace if it gets messed up. Use the phone with StrelokPro for further shots
80EB0B88-5C92-4458-8A42-BC81272A42F8.jpeg

Drop chart in 25 yd increments to 500 yds on hunting rigs. Just printer paper taped on with packaging tape. Works well and easy to replace if it gets messed up. Use the phone with StrelokPro for further shots
View attachment 7341753

I use the same method, also works on AR style stocks. I have the Velcro Stick-Ons on a rifle as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 86
I made a template in Excel. Print it off on heavy card stock, print it out, and laminate it with the heaviest laminating plastic I can get. Attach to the rifle with velcro.

I've quit using them in favor of a Kestrel HUD now, though.

Garmin's 701 in range card mode. Worked perfectly for hunting deer in the fall, and PDogs in the summer. Fairly long battery life if not in GPS mode, is NV compatible for moving into an area when it's dark, and is on your wrist, so it's easily accessible, but out of the way.

For you guys that draw up range cards from your stand or blinds, do you write out the distance or the adjustment required in mils? Seems like it would save time to just show how many mils you need for an animal popping out near a predetermined location.

If you shoot a rifle enough it’s not tough to remember your data to 600 m in 50m increments. My Mk 262 is basically in 1/2 mils all the way.
If you change loads or rifles it gets complicated. I then carry a laminated card in my pocket.
Not sure how much actual hunting folks are doing with stuff stuck on their wrist? In hot environments it will gall and in cold it’s under your cost or jacket?

Has anyone found a resource that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to do a turret sticker. There are a couple companies that will make a laser etched turret or a sticker but they are environment specific and expensive. Seems like a dope chart on your turret is logical in its simplicity but I am fairly new to long range and dialing for dope. I like to hunt in a fairly wide variety of elevations so am hesitant to cover up my original turret for a single locations dope though.

I printed a drop chart based on previous engagements at the range. I laminated it and attached it to a champagne cork (prosecco cork will do the job as well ;-)) . Using an existing hole in the chassis I screwed it onto the same, using black round plastic feet from an old maschine that has been dumped. Being cork, the roll can easily be rotated but nontheless sticks to the chassis due to its friction. Sole expense I got was the bottle champagne, which I do not regret anyway. Pics attached.

I associated the respective distance to each and every click down range, as I use this rifle for hog surgery as well. I do have another roll which goes from 20 m out to 801 m, done the very same way, every click related to the distance from where the adjustment applies. I am happy with this diy solution. I hate to spend a lot of money for things I easily can make by myself. In the days to come, when the full moon will be gone, I'm gonna turn a nice peace of black coated aluminum with nice end caps on it on my mini lathe, just to better fit the nice scope.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Reactions: Eddystone
If you shoot a rifle enough it’s not tough to remember your data to 600 m in 50m increments. My Mk 262 is basically in 1/2 mils all the way.
If you change loads or rifles it gets complicated. I then carry a laminated card in my pocket.
Not sure how much actual hunting folks are doing with stuff stuck on their wrist? In hot environments it will gall and in cold it’s under your cost or jacket?
I have gun and rifle add. One day il be shooting a 223 with 50s. The next a 6.5 with 95s. Or maybe the 6.5 with 140s. Or the 7 with 162s. Or a 223 with 53 SuperPerformance.

I make things complicated

Reactions: supercorndogs
Clean look .

I 3D printed this slanted pice that attached to my scope then I use black 2” painters tape and a silver sharpie. I have my dope for standard condition written down and then I put a layer of tape over it that I can write down target dope on for multiple engagements or for hunting a mini range card. I don’t do distance I do my hold to target cause I don’t care how many yards exactly I care where I need to hold or dial. I also have a Garmin fenix 6 pro watch with Truflite ballistics on my wrist so have data there with my current environmental data. I also carry my kestrel... my sig rangefinder binoculars also has my dope in it so I have plenty of backups...
E29BAA52-F29D-486A-9E84-FFD582CF7DFD.jpeg

Has anyone found a resource that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to do a turret sticker. There are a couple companies that will make a laser etched turret or a sticker but they are environment specific and expensive. Seems like a dope chart on your turret is logical in its simplicity but I am fairly new to long range and dialing for dope. I like to hunt in a fairly wide variety of elevations so am hesitant to cover up my original turret for a single locations dope though.

Too easy. I’ll give you two methods assuming You already have your dope and just need to put it on your turret?

Cave man method:

Dial your turret to 0.

Wrap masking tape around your turret, write “100” or whatever distance you have zeroed at on the tape and draw a line to the index mark on your scope.

Dial elevation to your second yardage, write the distance on the tape and draw a line to the index mark on your scope.

Dial elevation to your third yardage, write the distance on the tape and draw a line to the index mark on your scope.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Make several pieces of tape for different atmospherics and keep them as a Master so you can use it to mark future pieces of tape as conditions change.

—————————————————

Caveman with a computer method:

What’s the circumference of your turret? That is how long you need your strip of paper to be.

How many mils per revolution of your turret? That will set your linear spacing along the strip of paper.

With your software of choice use that information to create a strip of numbers you can print out and stick to your turret.

Make several strips for different atmospheric conditions. You should easily fit 100+ strips per A4 page so just cut out and stick on whichever works on the day and bin it when your atmospherics change.

You could even do the same for comps or hunting except instead of marking distances, mark particular targets or features around your blind.

Reactions: Seymour Fish