• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drop-in barreled action or custom build?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Hello, I am about to begin a shorty 308 build, and could use some advice on how I should accomplish it. I have 2 options:

1) Buy a remington 700 16.5” 308, drop it into my chassis, and go to the range. No trued action, sub-premium barrel, rougher action, etc.

2) Stripped/virgin 700 receiver, Shilen blank, action trued, cut and chambered by a gunsmith. Obviously a much higher quality firearm in the end, but at just over 2x the price of my other option.

Intended uses are weekend paper punching out to 200yds, steel ringing out to 500yds, and hunting medium sized game out 250-300 yds max. Im not a competition shooter, I don’t shoot 1,000 rounds per month or anything like that. If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Thanks for any help!

Custom barreled action. Could get a good remmy or could get a turd.

I don't know if this is a question anyone can answer for you. Either you need it to be accurate and smooth or you don't. Either you have the extra money to spend or you don't I think most people on here would rather have a custom regardless of need, but most people would also rather have more money rather than less.

Buy an FN SPR. Shoot 308 until you are bored. Re-barrel in .260 Remington. Enjoy your extra shekels.

Buy an FN SPR. Shoot 308 until you are bored. Re-barrel in .260 Remington. Enjoy your extra shekels.

I came into a free chassis for a 700, otherwise I may look at other options...plus I really like the after market support.

Check the for sale section and post a WTB (want to buy) a 700 short action. you might be surprised at the options that present themselves. Dont be afraid of buy a quality barrled action that has a few thousand rounds down the tube either. You'll end up with a much higher quality rig than a factory 700. I landed a fantastic rifle (trued remmy action, krieger barrel, HS precision stock) in 308 that had just over 1000 rounds down it for just under $1k.

Matt

For the intended purposes listed in the OP any off the rack 700 will more than suffice.

I think a brand new Remington action is almost always capable of being a great shooter out of the box without modification. Pretty sure they are using CNCs and heat treating before final machining now.....just like customs. The new Remingtons I have trued really did not need it: little to no material removal from the face, threads, or lugs. My last two, dispensed with truing: barrel shoulder squares up perfect to the action and they both shoot awesome.

Sooo, I'd try to find a well-priced new Remy at Walmart or some other retail outlet, sell off the barrel and stock for a few bucks and have it rebarreled. You'll be getting a great action for very little cash.

PS. Older Remys typically need a lot of work, I am referring to new manufacture only.
    PPs. As mentioned above, an off the shelf unmodified Remington rifle, complete, will be more than sufficient for your needs.

Last edited:
    It all depends, custom your going to blow a lot of money either way you could have a good shooter out of the box or like 1 above said turd.... unless you can tweak it yourself and diagnose problems, your taking a shot in the dark. Ive had awesome 700s used, custom,worn out, built in my shop and 700s that wont shoot no matter what i did. there for re barreling hand lapping ect, its up to you.

three things bedding,barrel,optics

I think a brand new Remington action is almost always capable of being a great shooter out of the box without modification. Pretty sure they are using CNCs and heat treating before final machining now.....just like customs. The new Remingtons I have trued really did not need it: little to no material removal from the face, threads, or lugs. My last two, dispensed with truing: barrel shoulder squares up perfect to the action and they both shoot awesome.

Sooo, I'd try to find a well-priced new Remy at Walmart or some other retail outlet, sell off the barrel and stock for a few bucks and have it rebarreled. You'll be getting a great action for very little cash.

PS. Older Remys typically need a lot of work, I am referring to new manufacture only.
    PPs. As mentioned above, an off the shelf unmodified Remington rifle, complete, will be more than sufficient for your needs.

How new is new?

Option two with a Bartlein barrel. Shekels are overrated.

Or

Option #1 with saved Shekels spent on better glass and rings. You can always rebarrel later.

Either way, forget about saving money. Getting into precision rifles is like dating a stripper. You know you are going to have fun, but you can kiss goodbye to your savings.

Buying a 16.5 " model and dropping it in will be the least expensive and probably do what your stated intended use is and allow you to invest in more ammo. Option #2 will result in a much better performing gun with a higher resale value, where as your drop in will ultimately only be worth the price of the 700 action if yo decide to sell it.

+1 with off the shelf remy, that way you dont have to wait on any lead time and you can go out shooting. And down the line you can always true the action and get a custom barrel

I think what I've decided to do is split the difference and go with a higher end factor rifle and sell off the stock.

I was in this boat not to long ago.
    Bought a Rem 700 AAC-SD in 308. 16.5 inch Barrel. Went this for a few reasons. Its a good deal for just the barreled action. Its a 10 twist so it'll handle any bullet I sling down it. Medium contour so it won't heat up to quick for extended firing strings. But light enough to carry around all day. Plus its already threaded.

Bad thing is the stock. Lets face it that stock sucks. So i called around a few custom gun makers and got a 700P stock for cheap. Then got the PTG bottom metal.
    Had the local custom gun guy put it all together.

For me it was a good balance between custom and budget. This is my do anything rifle from hitting steel at the range to hunting anything in Tx.