• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Drop in Stocks for 700 .308

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm trying to put together a list of stocks that are pretty much drop in that don't require any bedding and are inletted for DBM. I will be using a LTR type 20' fluted barrel (not sure what the contour would be).

Any ones that you can think of off the top of your head that are inletted for Badger DBM and don't require a smith?

Re: Drop in Stocks for 700 .308

Check out Bell and Carlson stocks. I have the A5 model, it's nice but on the heavy side.

Looking for a lightweight tactical stock.
I will check them out.
Any other stocks that are newbie friendly?

Your best bet for lightweight, no-bedding, and AICS mag ready is a stock from
Manner's. Get the mini-chassis and carbon shell and you meet all of your requirements.

Oubeta....the only stocks that come with a DBM ready to go that I know of are the:

AICS 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
Manners T series with their Mini Chasis Installed
McMillan already inletted for the Badger M5

I like my MCREE very much. No work needed on those stocks. They are ready to accept AI mags. Scott is a great guy to work with.

Any idea on who will have these stocks in-stock?
I can't view the MCREE website for some reason.
Might be a MAC issue.
DO you have contact info for Scott?

Mcree and AICS are great, but can be heavy. Also, the AICS can not be user friendly with some shooters. If you prefer a traditional style stock, the Manners mini chassis is probably the way to go.

Before you commit to the AICS, try one out. The Mcree is a solid aluminum stock and the feel turns some people off.

I'd say if you are going into it "cold bore" and not able to try any specific stock, to go for the Manners.

Also, the Choate Tactical does not require bedding. I have it and for the money is a very nice stock. (not the sniper one, this one looks similar to the McMillen)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jman841</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the Choate Tactical does not require bedding.</div></div>

Epic_Fail_Boat.jpg

Just because Choate says that doesn't mean its true.

Try bedding it, see how it improves, and then try saying that it doesn't need bedding. I'm speaking from experience.

oubeta:

I've got some statements at home with his # on it. I'll send that to you. I tried his website and couldn't get on it either.

Im starting a similar project. Anyone have experience with the AICS vs McMillan? Ive shot the AICS with a .338 Norma, never fired off a McMillan, Love the AICS so far.

Sorry to butt in oubeta
grin.gif

Not that my input means much, but I have got to fondle both the AICS and the Mcrees and preffered the mcrees

I Did have to use sand paper to get the barrel to free float but the bedding in mine is an aluminum V- Block and once properly tightened holds it securely. I get .5 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with hand loads with the rifle after changing to that stock and have been very pleased with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners Mini Chassis is really good... </div></div>

I am glad to hear it because i just ordered a T4 with the mini chassis. Now i wait.

The basic HS Precision short action stock pretty much drops in and is a good sturdy shooting platform. I've replaced two of the Hogue stocks on the 700 Tactical rifles. One in .223 and one in .308 and am real happy with the way they perform. It's light weight in comparison to most other "tactical" stocks.

Indiansinger

Someone say McRee???

mcree_adjustLarge.jpg

mcreeFolded_adjustLarge.jpg

I love his products. And it doesn't suck that Scott McRee is one of the coolest guys in the industry. Just stay out of his way if he is pounding coffee though. The boy gets wound up. LOL.

its a pity that Mcrees are not available in the EU. they were for a while and then everything stopped abruptly...

Anyone know when the JAE stock will be available? I would definitely like to fondle one of those...

For the 700 that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jman841</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the Choate Tactical does not require bedding.</div></div>

Epic_Fail_Boat.jpg

Just because Choate says that doesn't mean its true.

Try bedding it, see how it improves, and then try saying that it doesn't need bedding. I'm speaking from experience.

</div></div>

My first stock was the choate tactical, while it shot fine unbedded, it got better after the bedding job was complete.