• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Drop leg holster

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
What is your rec for a drop leg holster. I carry a VP9 and at times an FN 5.7. I have the usual concealed carry holsters, but would like to add a drop leg holster as well. I would only use this when hunting, so to needs to be secure and quiet!

Moving to a drop leg, you’re going to lose some security compared to a belt mounted holster. It will move around more and get caught on more stuff, and be more difficult to draw inside vehicles. My duty gun rides in a Safariland ALS/SLS that I mounted to a Safariland 6004 single-strap leg shroud. only 2 inches lower than my old belt ride. I like it, but I’d still be using my old mid-ride holster if I hadn’t switched to a load bearing vest. The new carrier made smoothly drawing from the mid-ride more difficult.

Such was the cost of getting a few pounds off my hips...

For a hunting rig, I’d stick with belt mounted. If you’re dead set on a drop leg, the combo I provided is about as good as it gets.

I bought a ScentLok Tactix jacket at my local Gander Mountain’s inventory liquidation sale before this hunting season. Very warm, quiet, comfortable, and has a small pocket built in for CCW if you wanted to. Just another option.

Reactions: theLBC
If you’re talking about a true drop leg / thigh rig save your money. They’re a pain in the ass to run w/ because they flop around & they catch on shit. A lot.

I have one & I've used it in the past but it’s purpose driven. If you’re planning on wearing because it looks cool, then it’s a hard pass.

I’m 6’3 & I wear my holster (SafariLand ALS/SLS) on a 2.5” drop & it’s perfect w/ plates, etc.

I'm too old to worry about being cool. I was thinking more in terms of having a holster ride lower than my belt, because of all the crap I wear in the winter. I don't hunt with a pistol, but use it as a back up when I trap, shoot an animal, but don't achieve a quick kill (with my rifle) and believe it or not, i have been charged by badgers, mangy coyotes, and an occasional hog when I was preoccupied with another animal and had put my rifle down....

If you’re talking about a true drop leg / thigh rig save your money. They’re a pain in the ass to run w/ because they flop around & they catch on shit. A lot.

I have one & I've used it in the past but it’s purpose driven. If you’re planning on wearing because it looks cool, then it’s a hard pass.

I’m 6’3 & I wear my holster (SafariLand ALS/SLS) on a 2.5” drop & it’s perfect w/ plates, etc.

This x10. Honestly, any other option beside a thigh rig is better imo. I use the same 2.5 drop now, but started out with a full thigh rig. Mostly because that's what the team used and the other part because I didnt know any better.

Running or in heavy outdoor clothing, I use a hill people gear chest pack. Blackpoint tactical makes a pretty cool chest rig that might be worth looking at.

I bought a rig last spring.

I went with the GCode Optimal Drop.

I just noted a day or two ago they updated it.

This would have been ideal.....

Have you thought about a good chest rig, something like the gunfighters inc. kenai, or leather options like the diamond d? May still keep it out of your way but without hanging up on things as much, easier access.
I believe gunfighters inc has a drop leg option as well.

Shoulder rig perhaps...

I think it's good to remain armed when you de-escalate.

Stuff hanging off your shoulders or bearing on your upper body is pure pleasure to take off when it's time to take a breather.

It's nice to take the upper body stuff off and still have the pistol at hand.

Carry the bare essentials on the belt and have your shit hits the fan stuff on the chest rig or plate carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC
also recommend safariland als. i like the security of active retention for any open carry.
even if out in the boondocks, not losing it in a slide fall down a steep embankment is an added benefit.

I think it's good to remain armed when you de-escalate.

Stuff hanging off your shoulders or bearing on your upper body is pure pleasure to take off when it's time to take a breather.

It's nice to take the upper body stuff off and still have the pistol at hand.

Carry the bare sentías on the belt and have your shit hits the fan stuff on the chest rig or plate carrier.

i've heard about a hunter in bear country that stripped off his chest rig (and sidearm) after taking a deer, and wasn't able to retrieve it fast enough when a bear showed up.

also recommend safariland als. i like the security of active retention for any open carry.
even if out in the boondocks, not losing it in a slide fall down a steep embankment is an added benefit.

Safariland ALS is like a 5 gallon pail when you reholster.

Keep your eyes down range and drop the gun anywhere in the vicinity of the ALS it will fall in nothing but net.

Agree with everything above. Don’t waste your money on a drop leg, they suck. Safari land sls/ als and g code both make good stuff

If you have a bunch of stuff on the belt then get a chest bag like a hill people gear or condor (for cheaper option). I ran this when deer hunting this year. Kept my phone, wallet, 1911, extra mag, knife. Frees up belt space and keeps things right in front where you can reach them on the outside of your layers.

gunfighters all the way best hunting holster i have ever worn, only wish they made one for freedom arms revolver, as far as a leg drop i use them for work hate them they are always hitting on something, you have to get them as close to the belt as possible to be out of the way. if your hunting and have to carry your gun on a sling which you will you cant carry it on that side as it will be hitting you rifle even if you carry it on the oppiste side what about when you traverse down a steep hill and you have to change sides. if you do get one make sure you get one where you can adjust the holster close to the belt as you will find out sucks if you dont.

gunfighters all the way best hunting holster i have ever worn, only wish they made one for freedom arms revolver, as far as a leg drop i use them for work hate them they are always hitting on something, you have to get them as close to the belt as possible to be out of the way. if your hunting and have to carry your gun on a sling which you will you cant carry it on that side as it will be hitting you rifle even if you carry it on the oppiste side what about when you traverse down a steep hill and you have to change sides. if you do get one make sure you get one where you can adjust the holster close to the belt as you will find out sucks if you dont.

Linky McLink?

I would suggest chest holster. There are a few around. While not perfect, not much better way to tote a short gun hunting. Its out of the way for swinging arms, with time can be adjusted for pack wearing, doesn't catch on stuff and can be drawn with either hand.

I took guy out wearing a drop leg, what a pain it was in the backcountry of Alaska.

1577280290717.png

Check out 2A holsters. I had a chest rig for my 10mm and loved it. Great company, veteran owned.

Linky McLink?

For the Gunfighters Inc Kenai Chest Holsters:

Ready to ship...

For custom...

I carried a Hill People Gear chest rig while elk hunting last fall. It had my “bear” gun and basic survival gear that I never took off until pretty much getting in my sleeping bag. Super comfortable and worked great with a pack. Check them out. Can draw pretty quick from them if needed.