• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dropped rifle on scope, impact shift

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
Ok so here is the set up first. The rifle is a R.E.P.R. with a Nightforce 20 moa scope base holding a USO SN3 3-17x44. Bipod is a Harris 6-9 with Larue QD Swivel mount, in 6" configuration. I had the rig sitting on top of the concrete shooting bench at the range (the ground was muddy and icy, I need a shooting mat) when some how it tipped over clock wise, impacting the right side of the scope including the windage turret (#3), the objective bell, and sunshade (it had been raining). It gouged all three locations through the anodizing and left some concrete residue that I wiped off. The only force of the impact was from the rotation of the bipod, only roughly 8 inches of travel. The next round at 300 yards impacted a few inches to the right of POA. Going back to 100 yards I milled it was impacting about .5 mills right. I pushed the windage knob .5 mills left and corrected the POA-POI difference. The group size seemed to not be affected. So I am wondering if such an impact to the scope will normally cause that much of a change in POI, or POA depending on how you look at it. Or should the equipment have stood up to such an impact? During installation all mounting hardware was torqued to specs with a torque wrench. I am also wondering if any damage could have been done to the turret adjustment internals? Some exercises will indicate any repeatability problems in the windage adjustments. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
"Box test might tell you something."

Yes that is what I was thinking of I just couldn't remember the name. Thank you.

It could be worse, much, much worse.

See what she does with a quick box test. Also keep an eye out for loss of nitrogen, visible condensation. Check to see (if illuminated) if it gets cloudy or a hazy with illumination on. Red will look like a light pink blush, edge to edge.

At least you didn't :

Run it over.

Fall off of your truck onto concrete.

Fall off the back of your 4 wheeler and your buddy runs it over.

Good luck.

977/2man I don't expect there could be that much damage to the scope. After all, its a USO but I'll keep a weather eye open for those things. I was primarily surprised and dis appointed in the half mill shift. It seemed too much of a shift for such a light hit. But I've never really banged a scope to know what to expect.

Last edited:
Spray it with soapy water and watch for bubbles......

This is not a bad idea but first unscrew the ocular adjustment out, then put soapy water around the turrets, power adjustment ring, ocular and objective areas and then screw the ocular back in all the way and see if you see any bubbles. However it is worth mentioning that most well built scopes have o rings that not only keep the nitrogen in the scope but also have a set of o rings that keep moisture out of the scope and that is what is most important. As long as no moisture can get in the scope is still well sealed.
After you do the water test, let the scope dry before you unscrew the ocular to adjust to your eyesight so you don't suck water into the scope if there is a leaky o ring.
Best of luck,
Paul

Out of curiosity, did it tip over and land on the bench, or did it tip over and land on the concrete floor?

A half mil jump sounds excessive. You didn't change ammo between shots right?

BTW, on cold days, the shooting mat isn't enough... my pee pee still freezes. :(

hk dave it tipped over and stayed on the bench. A half mill seems like a lot of jump for such high dollar equipment. Im not so worried about the scopes seal since it is a USO. And everything was tightened per nightforce instructions during initial installation.

This is when you are glad that you have a high end scope like USO, I wouldn't worry a thing.