• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry Firing Rimfires

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
How do you guys feel about dry firing your rimfire rifles/pistols? Specifically the Ruger 10/22's.

Re: Dry Firing Rimfires

I try to dry fire every gun I own for cheap training. If the .22 you are dry firing will peen the chamber use a fired case/snap cap and keep rotating it to prevent the peening of the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to dry fire every gun I own for cheap training. If the .22 you are dry firing will peen the chamber use a fired case/snap cap and keep rotating it to prevent the peening of the chamber.</div></div>
+1
I agree. I always used a spent shell if dry firing. Have not seen any rimfire snap caps thou. pm me if you find one lol

use spent cases, rotate them an 8th to quarter turn every pull of the trigger.

i've been assured by gunsmiths that today's materials used doesn't cause excessive damage to the firing pin in the short term of occasional dry firing, but long term for piece of mind use snap caps or spent cases.

put a dime on top of the barrel, when it stops falling off, you've achieved your goal of smooth trigger pull.

Never thought about using a spent case! I haven't looked hard, but have not run across anything similar to a centerfire snap cap for a rimfire. Thanks for the replies.

Per the FAQ's on Rugers web site it is perfectly safe to dry-fire.

Cooper Arms advises against dryfiring their rimfire rifles. Logically it seems like it could potentially cause damage especially if you are not using a snap cap or spent round to absorb the blow. I feel the same way about center fire cartridges.

I bought a Stevens 416 that had been pinged from dry firing I used a chamber iron to fix it.

Centerfires wont have the same issue as they punch to the center of the chamber. Rimfires will hit the edge of the chamber and this is where the issues are.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
put a dime on top of the barrel, when it stops falling off, you've achieved your goal of smooth trigger pull. </div></div>

neet tip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
put a dime on top of the barrel, when it stops falling off, you've achieved your goal of smooth trigger pull. </div></div>

neet tip </div></div>
I remember that from Basic training.

You can use cheap wall anchors also. The extractor even ejects them. Just have to be gentle putting them in!
wink.gif

plastic_anchor.jpg

I have heard that with today's steels, a chamber won't be peened by dryfire in a rimfire... that said, I don't do it and here is why... when accuracy drops off, you will need to diagnose it. If you have been dry firing, it will nag in the back of your mind that your chamber is peened. Scratch that one off the list, and fire spent casings. A box of 22 LR comes with 50 free snap caps worth about 400 dry fires. That should be more than enough until the next box.

Don't waste your time/money on plastic snapcaps for rimfire rifles. After a few "shots" the plastic will split, and you're peening your chamber unwittingly. Don't ask me how I know this. I use spent shells. Even after dozens of uses, there is still brass protecting your chamber.