• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dry firing

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
Any concerns about dry firing my sig 226 or FN five seven - or any gun for that matter? I have read multiple recommendations about using dry firing to improve trigger control and with winter around the corner, this seems like a good indoor, wintertime activity. However, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that dry firing was hard on the firing mechanism of a gun. So am I damaging my guns by doing this?

Re: Dry firing

Dry firing is fine on a centerfire but not on a rimfire. If your really concearned pick up a snapcap for your centerfire.

Can't get to the range - pretty rural area - that and the fact that I am a wuss when it comes to the cold and I can't protect my fingers enough.

99.9999% of the things on this planet are perishable...in some form or another. I this case, we are comparing that of a firearm made of steel and synthetics (for the sake of argument) versus your skills. Human skills will spoil quicker than a month-old eggs left in the hot sun. Your rifle will degrade about as fast as the styrofoam the eggs came in.

To say that dry firing can't cause wear and tear to a firearm isn't exactly true. Springs are used, surfaces rub....thus wear and breakage is theoretically possible. However, this is incidental compared the stress that is put on your gun during live fire.

I can not imagine any breakage that would occur during dry-fire that would not occur during live fire. The only exception being with that of a rimfire. In fact, dry-firing tends to increase one's quality time with their firearms so you should be more in tune to when something doesn't "feel right", and can be investigated before becoming an issue.

The cost/benefit breakdown has proven time and time again that the muscle memory and familiarity accrued during PROPER* dry fire training is worth the effort.

*Proper dry firing means training as you should under normal firing conditions including (but not limited to):
- muzzle and trigger discipline
- over emphasis on fundamentals
- proper fighting mindset

Sitting in the lazyboy, gun in hand and clickin' off at the TV every time a tampon ad comes on the screen isn't going to offer much help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sitting in the lazyboy, gun in hand and clickin' off at the TV every time a tampon ad comes on the screen isn't going to offer much help.</div></div>

Well shit, there goes my training.

Granted, it does offer the most opportunity for training as there seem to be an abundance of them.

Dry firing is good practice, but I'd steer away from snap caps and dummy rounds. Just my opinion. I don't want anything that even remotely looks like ammo around when I doing it.

Had an old IPSC buddy about take his dogs head off with some "dummy" 38 super loads..

Like PointBlank said, dry firing will wear on your weapons, as will shooting. But it's extremely minimal, and should never keep you from dry firing or shooting your firearms. My firearms are bought to be used as tools. Tools are useless without a proficient handler.

i love dry firing...I do it to all my rifles, from benchrest and a 2oz trigger to just my standard hunting rifle with a 8lb trigger. muscle memory and familiarity and proper mechanics can go a long way without using live ammo...

when you are sitting in front of the tv...keep your gun in your shooting hand...then when something pops up on the tv screen...aim...pull the trigger(better make sure the gun is unloaded...tvs are expensive)

If your dry firing with your pistol its good practice to store all magazines and live ammo in a seperate room. It will save you some headaches.