• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Dry land fish??? (morrells)

Jerrrrstanley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
Lebanon, VA
Wondering if anyone here does any fry land fishing? Has anyone started finding yet? I used go with my grandfather and I swear he could sense where they were. I feel like a blind squirell looking for nuts when I go. Hopefully Monday I can get out and look around.

HA I thought I was the only one on the Hide. When you finally find one then is when you find a whole bunch it like they are all around you (something with you eyes). Havent found any in WV yet still to cold or has not been warm enought about the end of the month until mid June is when I go. GOOD LUCK

Although as a side note to a new guy I dont thing the Fieldcraft section is where this belongs. just looking out.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawson. Didn't know where to post it for sure but since there are stickies for survival and this is a wild food I figured what the heck.
Even tho I was born and raised in VA my lineage hails from McDowell county and that's where I have mushroomed 95% of the time. These warm days have me itching to go out. May even ride over to WV next weekend!

HAA thats where I work yeah you MIGHT find one or two but for actually getting a 'mess' of them i would wait another two weeks.

A few have been found in Kentucky near the Cumberland river...........This next rain should make it happen.........some call em' Hickory Chickens this way..........

We used to find them, and harvest them by the 'hatfulls' and also by the 'coatfulls' around the Premier Lake area, in the Kootenay's (SE B.C.). Good eats, for sure.

"Bearded Sam's" was another.

I like em too! I`m going sometime this week (Southeast Va) to try to find some. Never heard them called Hickory Chickens. Anybody want to give out
how they cook em?

cut the roots off, cut'em in half,wash'em,Risen'em,Dipp'em in egg, Roll'em in flour(with a little Season All in the flour), Then fry'em up.....then enjoy

I'm heading out after a long beard in the morning and looking for dry land fish after we bag a turkey (Hopefully). We are going way up on the mountain so I'm doubting we will find any that high this early but a stroll through the woods is never a bad thing for me.

THERE HERE!!!! After the warm weather this week and the rain the other day I found a few 'AVERAGE" sized ones yesterday. The big ones aint out yet but give it a week or two and the "palm of my hand sized ones" will be around

Good deal! I looked today while hunting but we were above 3700 feet all day. About what elevation were you at? I'm freaking training all next week. I won't be able to look until next Wednesday. Hopefully they will grow nice and big by then.

My ->GUESS<- as I live in WV would be look for them in the same place that they grow here...In the hills on the shady side where it is damp(but not soaked) at the edges of fallen trees and mossy areas...Most of the time the places where you see the most Turkeys bedding is the the same place. Turkeys have a special kinda love for them so look there first.

OH yeah another tip start at the bottom of the hill and look UP the hill side. They tend to poke out of leaves so on the hill side they maybe partly covered from view from the top side but when you look at them from the bottom side they will be less covered. Kinda think of it (for a larger example) like a piece to plywood laying on the up hill side of your mail box. The plywood covers the mail box from view from the top side but if you are BELOW the mail box you can see it just fine.

Cut in half rinse out the bugs dip in egg wash bread in Finely crushed cracker crumbs slow fry in butter Yeah MAN!!! serve with your last bag of crappie and your good to go!!! look around the "mushroom trees" as they always seem to grow around sycamore, elm, certain types of pine trees, apple orchards lots of the ones I find are along the slopes leading to creeks and rivers too. There are dedicated web sites that post on a map of the U.S. where folks have found them in each state they are the south working their way north now. Seems like I70 and South for now next few weeks they will be working their way up north! Good luck everyone!!!

They started showing up in Middle TN last weekend.
Nightime temps have to stay about 50, with daytime temps reaching 70. Add rain, they start popping up.
Look around elm trees, especially dead/dying elms.
I've been drying them this year.

I'd have to wear chest waders to look in my favorite spots and I doubt if the morels will grow underwater. A few were found before this last round of rain we just experienced. Doubt if we have much luck here as looking out the window, it is snowing right now and the weather isn't supposed to improve temperature wise for nearly a week. Another strange spring in Central Illinois coming on the heels of last year's 90 degree plus February followed by cool and rainy weather.

I've been itching to try a morel and leek stuffed ravioli with a white wine and butter sauce. seems like the turkeys have been getting to the shrooms before I do the past few years though. I've always just fried them in seasoned flour and butter before but I figured I'd try something new this year.

Tried morels for the first time today, boy have I been missing out. Found these right next to my jobsite in the suburbs of the Twin Cities. Guess I will be going out and try to find some more this weekend.