• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DSA Fal vs M1a

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Can you guys give me your opinions on these two rifles for a 308 battle rifle. Which one do you prefer ?

I had 2 DSA fal's, they were better than the Belgium gun. The first was a heavy barrel gun that the barrel was
cut to 16" with a vortex flash hider. The second was a STG-58 16" barrel with Austrian brake, metal forearms
had to be changed. The important part about metric fal's, is when the barrel is 16", the gas port hole should
be .118 so that it runs open on #7 while clean and lubed. However FAL's are a 1950 chevy, drive something
more modern; a 2010 chevy would be a FN SCAR 17----I have two.

What do you want to do with it?

1) Play Rhodesian commando with unlimited quantities of surplus ---> FAL by far

2) Play 1980 awesome shooter on sling and jacket high power line ---> M1A, enjoy redoing the glass bedding every season

3) Mount a scope and hit small things that are far away ---> get a quality .308 AR, or if you're made of money, a SCAR-17

4) Just want X because it's cool ---> get it, you decide for yourself what's cool for you.

I own a couple FALs and like them, but hardly shoot them. I used to own two loaded model M1As, they were cool too but I shot them even less. What I actually shoot - AR platform, both 5.56 and .308.

Owned several of each.
The FAL's are long gone and still have my M1A's.

Have a Dsa. Fal with a leupy mk iv mrt. It cycles all surplus well, but i have to set the gas system for different kinds. It started out as an 18" para. I added a suppressor and the recoil guide rod contained under the dust cover kept snapping from the increase in back pressure. DSA converted it back to a standard modle fixing the overpressure problem but it still had a huge POI shift from the light weight barrel. The DSA is much nicer than the surplus models with great fit and finish. The iron sights are shit. The 1913 dust cover is very nice at least compared to the M1A mounts I've seen. All that being said, I bought a LMT MWS/Nightforce 2-10 and never looked back: familiar ergonomics, good mags, runs surplus ammo, accurate, and hosts my AAC can well.

DSA Fal vs M1a

I'll be a smart*ss and chime in too: get a Scar 17. Man, I always hate when people do this too!

I've had 3 FAL's, love the ergonomics, they feel great, they shoot decent, I preferred the L1A1. Irons wiggled, gas system sensitive.

I've had 2 M14-style rifles. The first one, new from Springfield, held nice tight 5" groups, scoped or irons it didn't matter. The second was a Polytech with USGI parts. It shot fantastic but no scope mount would maintain zero, SEI nor Sadlak.

The Scar 17 is much lighter, good ergos, simple but adjustable gas system, easy to mount optics, Very accurate, and 5/8-24 muzzle threads which I wanted for running suppressed. So far 100% reliable with most of my use being suppressed.

My opinions here. If I HAD to pick, I'd probably have an L1A1 built by a reputable builder as I prefer the inch rifles over metric.

GregM

Last edited:
Depends on what you want. I've kept my FALs and sold my M1A. I'd recommend the full stock and pencil barrel.

Without a doubt the M1A. I have owned a couple. I have one remaining that comes out every so often when I want to shoot something totally different than my AR10's AR 15's.

Have fired several FNs including the FAL and the SCAR series. Didn't like any of them. Not saying they aren't well built and reliable but I could never get used to the ergonomics.

BR,

If your attitude toward sights is "set and forget" and you prefer to do everything (magazine changes and working the charging handle or bolt release) with your support hand, I'd go with an FAL.

It's also easier and cheaper to add optics to if you don't mind the non-traditional look of the DSA top-cover mount. If you want the rear sight to be more adjustable, they make a para-type rear sight with a windage knob and a dual aperture. If you want elevation adjustment too, get their Hampton lower. It has a full M16A2 rear sight. I think that might be overkill though. Railed fore-ends are available as well, if that's your thing. Same goes for folding stocks, and probably for a lower price than a chassis system for an M14.

If you want to shoot groups that are tighter than 4 moa on a regular and consistent basis, get an M14. They're much easier to accurize, and there's more help available on the subject.

The sights on a FAL are battle sights. They are not as precise as M14 sights but they work really well.

The M14 is a good, solid, reliable durable rifle. It's accurate and it self regulates with a wide variety of ammo. But it takes a little more specialized maintenance.

The FAL is also a good, solid, reliable rifle. It's not as accurate as the M14 but that hasn't stopped it from dominating on the battlefield. Gas regulation has to be set by the shooter but is a simple task. Maintenance consists primarily of clean & lube. Recoil management is better with the FAL

Milspec & OEM parts for both rifles are getting harder to find everyday