• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DSA FAL

simmy952

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2009
OH
Just picked up my first FAL and need a little help. I have been reading around that DSA makes a quality FAL. It is the SA58 Para with a folding stock. I only got one mag with it. How do I tell if I have the inch or metric mag? Any certain parts that I need to watch for wear/breakage? Where to pick up a few mags?

Re: DSA FAL

almost everything DSA makes is metric, they do special runs of Inch receivers form time to time. you can tell by the mags whats what, but for all things FAL head over to the Falfiles and check the refrence section where they have pictures of all the different variant of mags and such.

fal mags are not cheap any more, buy what you can afford when you can afford it.

What is a good price on mags? Are there certain manufacturer that I should watch out for?

Gun stores used to sell FAL mags cheap-that may have changed. The mags themselves are pretty robust so wear is rarely an issue. I bought a Para Tactical new from DSA and it took a while for me to break in (their tolerances are pretty tight.). Don't be put off by function issues with your gun (if new) they take a while to break in. Mine also does not like the cheap military ammo. For what it is worth.

Has anyone tried or heard about the Thermold mags? I found a few of them at a good price?

Hello , New guy here . I have been building / shooting Fals for the past 15 years and DSA makes some really nice rifles and parts. DSA's quality is way nicer than my NIB factory FN Herstal 50:00 . The tooling marks and finish are horrible on my FN compared to DSA . Inch mags will have a large " tab " on the front of the mag compared to a small little lip on the metric . I would stay away from poly mags but that is just me. Buy some good surplus mags , replace the springs and you should be good to go.If your rifle is new , adjust the gas port down low [ using more gas] for the first 100 rounds to break it in. If you have any questions , please email me as my buddies and I have built at least 50 fals over the years . Good Luck , kappes

Thanks for the help. Off to find some good mags for my FAL. Will let you know how this works out.

Thanks Jarod for the info.

I believe it is Falcon that makes mags with US made bottom plates. They also sell Bottom plates as well. I have assembled/built several Fals and DSA makes an excellent product. Sometimes they may be slow as hell but they make a top quality rifle. Also try gunthings.com. If you go the falfiles.com (like suggested above) they are great group of guys and you can usually find what you want.
Rad

Any word if there will be PMags available for the FAL? With Rock River LAR-8's using FAL mags, demand is on the rise!

Signature.jpg