• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DSLR camera. Nikon or Cannon?

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    I want a nice DSLR. I want a legacy camera. Not a 1 year pos. Package deal type. Couple lenses but with good glass and aftermarket support? @gr8fuldoug you offer packages? I don’t need a $2500 body minus lenses nor do I want a $200 cheapo.

what do you dorks use? Or recommend?

Reactions: The D and plong
    I’ve been pondering the same... love some expert advice!

For me personally, I have had the most experience with Canon products, beginning with my father's old film Canon SLR that has been in our family for decades. I am also running a Canon printer in my house and it is pretty reliable...

From my time selling electronics and camera gear at Staples, I have sold and seen more Nikons get sold than any other brand. We have a lot of professional sports photographers and other specific niche photographers come through and these guys are VERY specific on the brands of gear that they use and once they have settled on one, they almost exclusively stay with that one brand...

Reactions: Bender
    I think it’s Cannon that can use legacy lenses? As in older lenses from 20 years ago still fit?

I was thinking a Cannon EOS Rebel T6 looks about right? But I’m a newb. So.... I was in photography back in the film days. Still have my Pentax ME super I had professionally rebuilt. But who uses film? Lol

Cannon rebel is what I've been using for some time. No complaints, not top of the line, but not crap either.

Take a look at the Fuji X-T2 or X-T3. I have sold all of my Plastic Nikons along with their plastic lens. The Fuji is body metal and so is the lens. The lens quality is outstanding, Leica quality. Complete control of the exposure from the top of the camera without going into a menu. If you want Fuji information go here. FujiLove
    DSCF1400.jpg

Take a look at the Fuji X-T2 or X-T3. I have sold all of my Plastic Nikons along with their plastic lens. The Fuji is body metal and so is the lens. The lens quality is outstanding, Leica quality. Complete control of the exposure from the top of the camera without going into a menu. If you want Fuji information go here. FujiLoveView attachment 7398841
    Prices?

I have the 5D mark 1 (before it was called a mark anything) Mark two and three came along fast with video capability, in 1080P.
    Lenses in either platform are high dollar, with high value retention. The one pro I know went from a huge stock of Canon to a complete Nikon, set up, but it was because he was slighted one time way back when, by Canon.
    Kit's (body, and a couple lenses) are often one size fits some. Better to decide on a body, withthe features you want, and then lenses to suit your application. Portraits, scenery, moving objects, nudes.
    the supporting accessories such as ring-lights, filters, flash, tripods, reflectors, Battery belts, etc, are all universal.
    Talk to Camera Land, and get some guidance, and before plunking down a fortune, take a class in basic photography. If you are in a big city, rent a body and a couple of lenses, to take the class with. Join a local photography club.
    This is a large investment. Like buying a used car. Look at a catalogue, to get an idea of lens prices (wow!)

Reactions: Yasherka
    By DSLR, you're talking about traditional pentaprism cameras, right? Well, Canon has more innovative bodies but Nikon has better colors. Nikon has a lot of very good glass and there's a lot of compatibilty with the older stuff (assuming you get the right body). Canon also has some very good glass but more of their lenses are just average.

You looking for full frame or APS-C? For full frame, I'd go Nikon D850 (or a low mileage D4(s)). For APS-C, Nikon D500, or a D300s (which are dirt cheap) if you can live with going a little slower. D300s was last semi-pro APS-C with on-board flash. You can use it as the trigger for a wireless multi-flash set-up. The D500 (and the D850) will have you buying a separate controller.

If you want to try mirrorless, track down a used Fujifilm XH-1. Great glass, slightly muted colors compared to Nikon. Battery life sucks compared to a DSLR because your running an electronic viewfinder and there is always the possibility of pixels going dead in the display but you get to see exactly what your exposure looks like through the viewfinder.

I think it’s Cannon that can use legacy lenses? As in older lenses from 20 years ago still fit?
    No, Canon has changed their mount several times. Nikon F mount is backwards compatible from day one depending on camera body but you will lose exposure control a lot of times.

The Fuji ex3 looks amazing! How much are lenses?
    X-E3? They might have discontinued that and there might not be a X-E4. The rangefinder form factor is retro and cool but I find that I'm a lot more comforable with a more substantial camera body (and I only have medium hands) especially if you're going to put the larger lenses on it.

Fuji lenses are genuinely amazing across the board (with one or two exceptions) and the in-camera processing cleans up any visible distortion. The compact f/2.0 lenses would fit the X-E3 nicely. I'd have the 16mm f/1.4 as a general purpose lens, though. That's $850.
    The 80 macro is about $1000. The 55-200 is a bargain for $700. I have one and like it but am looking for a 70-140 f/2.8.

All about ergonomics and how the controls fit your way of shooting. try them both. most important thing is the glass. High quality lenses will truly open your eyes to what you can capture with a camera. I just jumped up to a full frame camera and a couple high end lenses . What a difference. Sony is making some real progress as well and will probably dominate the high end market in 5 years.

Personally, I shoot Nikon but only because I like the feel and controls. Canon & Sony make great gear as well

I was thinking a Cannon EOS Rebel T6 looks about right? But I’m a newb. So.... I was in photography back in the film days. Still have my Pentax ME super I had professionally rebuilt. But who uses film? Lol

Minolta XD 5 here,,even used to that IR film.
    Played with double exposure too.

No idea on new cameras.
    A good friend swears by Cannon,,now he's into night sky photos.

yeah no guarantee into the future, but nikon has or had generally made everything backwards compatible while canon did not, so if you have a ton of $$ invested in nice canon glass pre-digital, didn't work with their digital format.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i and stepped up to a Nikon D5600.

I was kind of in the same boat. I wanted something above a regular consumer entry level but wasn't quite ready to go "Professional" level which is a much higher grade.

For me, it came down to contols and features between them.

I like my old nikon d5100. If you spend more on a camera that has a focus motor you can buy less expensive lenses.

I’ve had a Canon 60d for several years that’s taken some decent photos. But in all reality, the major brands are good. Just like with anything, try to fondle a few different models to see what feels right

I’ll also second the mirrorless suggestion.

If you’re not looking to turn it into a side hustle, buy a used body and spend as much as you can justify on glass

Canon.......... I could write a book on the abuse I have given them and they keep on going..... It's not the camera, it's the memory that it captures.

Hobo

I strongly recommend the Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera. It's extremely user friendly, compact, good kit lens, amazing touchscreen that's fully articulating, excels at both photo and video, and is equipped with one of the best AF systems on the market. I picked up a refurbished unit directly from Canon for $380 shipped to my front door. Canon "refurbished" are known to be immaculate, and come with the same 1 year warranty as new units. Worth looking into...

Fuji makes some great 4/3 and Crop Sensor cameras. I have a canon rp and am very happy with it. Full frame really does expand your ability with shallower depth of field and more light. Go with a mirrorless Dslr is antiquated large and heavy. Unless you need fast shooting for action I don’t see a reason to go with a dslr.

Reactions: MJF and Bender
    Again, Canon for me. I’m slightly biased since I’m heavily invested in Canon lenses and been using them forever, but let me tell you why. In short, Nikon is good to, but I got tired of having to go through tons of menus to do the same things I could do on my Canon, on the fly. Canon seemed more user friendly to me and the controls were just right. No having to scroll through tons of crap to do basic functions. Another one you may want to check out is Sony! Some of their new offerings are spectacular. Whatever you get, you’ll want to invest in good glass. Like scopes camera lenses are you get what you pay for with the exception of a few, like the nifty 50! Great lens for the money. It may only last a couple years but given it’s image quality for the price you can simply buy another as they can often be found dirt cheap. Most of my stuff is L glass which is like buying a high end scope but totally worth it, if you are serious.

This, go one and done with the Sony RX-10 IV. I absolutely love mine, it really is one camera to do 95% of all photography, and the other 5% in really low light I run my RX-100 III with the F1.8 lens for then.

I have an RX100 Mk. V...

I researched the bejesus out of Cameras 3 or so years ago and settled into a Sony of some kind. I researched Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc... It took me like 5 months to decide on a camera...

Sony was CONSISTENTLY the better camera from everything I could find. I REALLY wanted an A7iii and a few lenses, but I couldnt convince myself that was what I NEEDED... I NEEDED a point and shoot that took phenomenal images... every other company treated their point and shoots like second rate garbage. I think Fuji was the only one that actually put out a point and shoot worth a shit. Canon and Nikon point and shoots were trash....then you jumped into DSLR type cameras... nothing in between. What I found out was that MOST people would stick with a Canon or Nikon body because it worked with their old lenses...that was a lot of peoples justification... They couldnt tell you Canon was ACTUALLY better than Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc...(place those names in whatever order you want)...

Here is an image from my Sony point and shoot at the Botanical Gardens in Leipzig, Germany...

No, Canon has changed their mount several times. Nikon F mount is backwards compatible from day one depending on camera body but you will lose exposure control a lot of times.
    Can second this. I have an older Nikon lens that still runs like a champ.

Since most of my budget goes to guns and ammo, I buy used camera bodies and lenses at KEH.

And you can pick up some killer older lens for Nikon pretty reasonable. But you be doing every manual but with focus conformation.....like we used to do in the old days....

Hey Bender, I'll be in Douglas week after next for work, let me know if you'll be around there too then and I'll bring down my Sony RX10 for you to tinker with.

Another Nikon fan here. I’ve had a few over the years. Like mentioned above, the menus can be a bit clunky until you learn them. The sky is the limit on glass budget, but that will be true of all the platforms.

Cameraland and Adorama and B&H are good places to look. I also second the notion of finding a photography class to get your feet wet, but the best thing is to just get out and shoot and play with settings.

When I got my first DSLR, I’d leave the camera on auto and when reviewing photos, examine EXIF data and use that information to adjust manually on future manual shots. For every 100 shutter clicks, you may only be happy with one shot, but that’s the beauty of not spending money on film. Memory cards are cheap so make sure you get a “fast” one or two. It’s definitely a fun hobby, enjoy.

I fell in love with the Fuji X-e3. Not only is it extremely capable and has wireless capabilities. It is stunningly beautiful.

i wanted to like the T-200 with the same internals but the reviews were not as good. They say the build quality on the larger/less expensive but newer T-200 feels cheap and plastic. Where as the quality of the 2.5 year older X-e3 feels amazing with highly recommended reviews. So far this X-e3 checks all the boxes in a highly capable mid range hobby camera. Plus. Just look at it! Wow!
    I found packages at in the mid 800s for it. But it seems discontinued. Fine by me.

711B4E35-BCCC-4956-8A57-F9F32C09D602.jpeg
    D9CB52BF-8416-4D6A-8F3B-54BD4C4D088D.jpeg
    B38DB42E-8B5B-498A-82C1-6FF9A08A200A.jpeg
    64CAECCB-F39E-4536-8A83-B13A17A0A511.jpeg

Take a look at the Fuji X-T2 or X-T3. I have sold all of my Plastic Nikons along with their plastic lens. The Fuji is body metal and so is the lens. The lens quality is outstanding, Leica quality. Complete control of the exposure from the top of the camera without going into a menu. If you want Fuji information go here. FujiLoveView attachment 7398841
    And Fuji’s 16-55, f2.8 lens. It’s spectacular and very flexible.

I had both Nikon and Canon. In particular, the Canon body and 24-70 lens were massive. Almost needed a hand truck to haul them around.

I have all Fuji now and am very, very happy. Will post up some images when I get a chance.

Reactions: Bender and MJF
    I think I’m going to do the Fuji Xe3 with the 16-55. Seems like it’s a very powerful compact set up.

What ever you do, do NOT go less than a full frame. I can not stress that highly enough. Anything less you will FAST outgrow it and find yourself wishing you had spent the money. And never shoot in anything but RAW.

I personally choose Canon way back, however the way camera companies (Canon especially) royally screw over their customer base by releasing limited feature cameras..... would make me reconsider had I to do it all over. But whatever, they do make some of the best.

I currently use the D3 and I have an entire range of prime and zoom lenses. Many of them NOT Canon. Save yourself some money there.... Sigma and Tamron put out some truly amazing lenses. Sigma's 35mm prime "art" lens is an example of that. When comparing anything camera related use:

And for lenses: https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses -- I found their in depth reviews to be spot on.

Increasingly a lot of my work can be done with a mobile phone. I'm about to take the plunge for the Samsung Ultra 20.

Welp. I did it.

Fuji x-e3 16-55 kit on the way. It was premature but it’s done lol. It’s a hobby/general use for random shots. Cheaper than shooting right now lol!

You wont regret it. Professional photographers all over the world use Fuji cameras. Check out Fujilove.com for a wealth of Fuji information.

Welp. I did it.

Fuji x-e3 16-55 kit on the way. It was premature but it’s done lol. It’s a hobby/general use for random shots. Cheaper than shooting right now lol!
    I have an x-T1 body, X-T2 and X-T3. I haven't sold the older ones as "digital rot" on all camera bodies really crushes resale value. Last time I looked, nice, low mileage X-T1's were going for around $450. At $450, it makes a hell of a back up body, or would make a good entry body for someone that wanted to get into good IQ on the cheap. Good glass like the 16-55 is a bit of a different story. It's great glass to begin with and with it being compatible across different generations of bodies, helps to retain it's value. I have the 50-140 also and it's just as spectacular. However, I use my 16-55 probably 80 to 85% of the time.

I'm thinking about buying an X-T4, but in no hurry to do so. I've also thought about buying some of the Fuji primes, but with as much use that I get out of the 16-55, primes might just end up being more load to haul.

Oh, and ditch the factory strap and get a good one;

Welp. I did it.

Share a link to said kit...?

Share a link to said kit...?

just under $1000 with tax. There are a few more to be had at Adorama because it’s no longer made, the X-a7 looks to be the new replacement but the X-e3 has a better build and all the features I wanted in the size I thought I would use. The more I thought about a full-size DSLR the more I liked the mirrorless size with tons of capabilities.

get ready to see Benders random picture thread!!

Reactions: plong and The D
    Welp. I did it.

Depending on what you already do/don’t know about photography I’ll throw out a suggestion to buy a few books about photography and a short cut guide to your specific camera.

Hi gayguns,

What ever you do, do NOT go less than a full frame. I can not stress that highly enough. Anything less you will FAST outgrow it and find yourself wishing you had spent the money. And never shoot in anything but RAW.

Could you please elaborate? I, too, am thinking about getting into digital. I am actually thinking about the APS-C format for the following reasons:
    1. Given the crop factor, e.g., 1.5, for Nikon, a nice fill frame lens, e.g., Nikon 55/1.2 will be equivalent to about 85. The cost savings is significant. The downside is, of course, on the low side of focal lenses, i.e. I will need 18/XX for 28/XX. However, I can solve this by buying a dedicated APS-C lens. (I do have a Nikon FE body and would therefor like to stay with Nikon.)
    2. Full frame lenses will be sharper due to the sensor being closer t the optical axes.
    3. The larger sensor (considering the same resolution) will have better low light performance. Coming from film cameras with limited ISO films available, I am not sure that I care.
    4. The quality of pictures at about 20x30 inch will be for all practical purposes indistinguishable.
    5. The body will be smaller, lighter.

Without any intent on offense, I also find rather contra-intuitive that you advocate for a full frame while lot of your "work can be done with a mobile phone."

Please correct any of my misconceptions.

Kindest regards,

M

One you go full frame, it's hard to go back to crop, unless you mostly deal in narrow shots and really want the magnification.
    Also number of pixels on the sensor is in large part a marketing issue and there is a lot more to a truly great sensor.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore