• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dt srs a1 vs q the fix

freediver474

Minuteman
Mar 1, 2013
Idaho
Looking to setup another coyote rifle for Nightime thermal/ day hunting. I just picked up a srs a1 but it’s chambered in 6.5 creedmore with 26” barrel which I don’t really want to hunt with. Looking to go either 22 creed, 243, or 6mm creed in a proof carbon barrel or light hunter taper. The weight is a big issue with the desert tech. I haven’t shot it or any desert techs before. I’m also looking at the Q the fix that I would get a proof barrel in one of the 3 Calibers I mentioned. Is it worth getting rid of the desert tech and picking up a fix?

Also considering the Christensen mpr... or just get a custom and drop it in a side chick chassis or the mpr chassis ..

I’m not sure I want to spend the money and wait time on a new barrel if it isn’t going to be an ideal setup. I’ve never shot it and don’t have dies or brass to load ammo up in 6.5 creed to try out. I bought it off a buddy with the intentions to sell but it’s a pretty cool setup so now I’m contemplating keeping and going with covert hand guard and The thinner lighter barrel. Just not sure if it’s worth just going with a different lighter weight option

IMO, the biggest advantage to the DTA (aside from the flexibility to go from .223 Rem to 338LM in a single chassis) is its overall length with long barrels.

If that feature doesn't do much for you in your use case then it's probably not the solution for you, as there are less expensive/lighter options available. Perhaps look for a Barrett Fieldcraft (production has been suspended on them, but they're still out there) or maybe even something like a Remington Model 7. Alternatively, building a lightweight Tikka T3/T3x would be pretty easy...

Reactions: freediver474
Oh I already have plenty (too many) coyote guns already lol 4 ar setups 223,204,6.5 Grendel, 22 nosler.. 2 tikkas in 243, 204, full custom proof carbon/ manners carbon 243, and a handful of remington 700s lol the short dta is definitely appealing especially for shooting out of the truck. definitely not lightweight though but I’m hoping a thinner or carbon barrel will thin it down a bit.

Attachments

• 8FA6E6D1-3E47-4288-AFF3-27983948CC39.jpeg
    8FA6E6D1-3E47-4288-AFF3-27983948CC39.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • 57F8DA95-8C41-4C45-AA8B-B4BF547CD49B.jpeg
    57F8DA95-8C41-4C45-AA8B-B4BF547CD49B.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 3CC95D19-B4A8-4D1A-A2B5-B0959DE96C31.jpeg
    3CC95D19-B4A8-4D1A-A2B5-B0959DE96C31.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 3EBDB117-2A03-4BF1-B0CD-7CABC34974B7.jpeg
    3EBDB117-2A03-4BF1-B0CD-7CABC34974B7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • 4F5519F7-8EA8-4D28-976B-5EAF042E5FD6.jpeg
    4F5519F7-8EA8-4D28-976B-5EAF042E5FD6.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 84
Is it worth getting rid of the desert tech and picking up a fix?
Completely different rifles.
DT is insanely accurate and can switch from 223 to 338 lapua.

The fix is light and a great hunting rifle. Can only shoot 308 based cartridges and is slightly less accurate.

Would def get the fix for what you are doing.

I would get the sig version

Ya missed this one I would have been all over it if I don’t have too many rifles already.

I’m assuming recoil impulse isn’t too much of a concern when it comes to a lighter set up, priority for ease of carry?

What's really scary is that it probably won't even wear a brake. I'm not sure anyone could handle the recoil impulse of a lightweight 22 Creed or 243 without one....

A carbon barrel won't save you much weight on a Desert Tech because of the all steel area for the barrel clamp. I hunted with my 22" factory barrel. It sucked but I got through it.

If you want lightweight, stay away from the SRS - it's really hard to make it lightweight. That being said, it's super handy if you run a Covert handguard, a 16" barrel and a lightweight scope. Still, it won't beat the weight savings you'll get from a Fix or Cross. Hunting with an SRS can be a giant PITA if you're going to do a long stalk and/or have to hump quite a bit to get to the spot. You can get short, thin profile barrels, but it's not that much of a weight savings over something designed to be lightweight. The big advantage of the SRS is in having many rifles with one good scope. Mine replaced six of my bolt guns over time; I'm running an early Gen 1 with 10 different barrel conversions and the two things I WON'T do with mine is hunt (anymore) or do PRS competitions.

I built a 7lb 6.5x284, and while it was lightweight, I could not drive it as accurately, as consistently as a 11ish lb rifle. Fundamentals become even more important the lighter you go, and in a hunting situation witj weird shooting positions, I decided a heavier gun would give me more confidence in a well placed shot.

Invest in the big butt pad for the Fix, I hear it makes a big difference

i have no time on the fix but i picked up a DTA about 6-8 months ago for the same reason

shorter lighter accurate tactical/hunting rifle

...needless to say it will be in the PX soon...

I have both and love both, if I could only have one it would be the DT.
I’ve had an A1 for a lot of years and recently added an A2 to the collection.
I have my A2 down to 10lbs even rigged out scope and all.

Last edited:
I personally love my Desert tech. don't have a problem hunting with it but I live in Kansas so no mountains to deal with. you can save some weight on them by running carbon fiber barrels and keep the rifle around the 10lb mark

Oh I already have plenty (too many) coyote guns already lol 4 ar setups 223,204,6.5 Grendel, 22 nosler.. 2 tikkas in 243, 204, full custom proof carbon/ manners carbon 243, and a handful of remington 700s lol the short dta is definitely appealing especially for shooting out of the truck. definitely not lightweight though but I’m hoping a thinner or carbon barrel will thin it down a bit.
Dear Friend - hunting for food or fur is always fine. But I respectfully urge you rethink the habit of putting dead animal corpses in certain poses for funny pictures. Thanks.

first precision rifle was the DT SRS, was clumsy. Liked bullpup semis, absolutely hated the bullpup bolt. Have 2 minifxes and 1 fix ... like them a lot