• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA 6.5CM Distance To Lands

918v

Range Physic
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Miserable CA
Does anybody know the max coal with 140 ELD-M in a factory DTA chamber? 2.850” ???

Do you have a modified case to measure it? You can also make a dummy round, make sure there isn't too much neck tension and load a bullet in there, close the bolt and then measure it. Back it off a few thousandths and you're good to go

The max coal will end up as the shortest of:
1. Whatever the longest that will fit in your magazine.
2. Whatever the length is when you have at least .264 (diameter of the bullet) of seating depth inside the neck of the case.
3. The measured length as detailed in waveslayer's post above

In a factory chamber, the first two will end up determining your coal. In a custom barrel, it'll probably be #3.

The max coal will end up as the shortest of:
1. Whatever the longest that will fit in your magazine.
2. Whatever the length is when you have at least .264 (diameter of the bullet) of seating depth inside the neck of the case.
3. The measured length as detailed in waveslayer's post above

In a factory chamber, the first two will end up determining your coal. In a custom barrel, it'll probably be #3.
Exactly,

But the nice thing with a DT.. you get nice long long mags so no issues with mag length, another nice advantage of a DT. Pros and cons to everything

Does anybody know the max coal with 140 ELD-M in a factory DTA chamber? 2.850” ???

It will all depend on the reamer and if those barrels were exact. You'll need to measure your own barrel

But I posted how to do it for yourself... or just load to book specs and you're fine of you don't want to measure YOUR barrel. Not all barrels are the same

Like others are saying, you should probably measure it if you want specifics.

Reactions: waveslayer
I’m asking a simple question. If you don’t have a DTA rifle and a 140 ELD, why are you posting?

I’m asking a simple question. If you don’t have a DTA rifle and a 140 ELD, why are you posting?
You mean this .. nope don't own a DT, nor a 6.5 Creedmoor nor use eldm... but look closely at the pictures, they might surprise you... just saying.. yes I have loads with the ELDM and all your questions, hence why I chimed in

And do as I said previously, your question was answered . Anything else I can school you on?

Attachments

• 20190801_074510.jpg
    20190801_074510.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190416_090843.jpg
    20190416_090843.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 27
It’s not a simple question. As others have stated, there’s no guarantee that the reamer used on your barrel matches any “standard,” and measuring for yourself isn’t exactly difficult. If you can’t figure out how to do it, reloading probably isn’t for you.

You mean this .. nope don't own a DT, nor a 6.5 Creedmoor nor use eldm... but look closely at the pictures, they might surprise you... just saying.. yes I have loads with the ELDM and all your questions, hence why I chimed in

And do as I said previously, your question was answered . Anything else I can school you on?

You can school me on how fast you can get the fuck out.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
It’s not a simple question. As others have stated, there’s no guarantee that the reamer used on your barrel matches any “standard,” and measuring for yourself isn’t exactly difficult. If you can’t figure out how to do it, reloading probably isn’t for you.

It is a simple question. Take a DTA and measure the coal with a 140 ELD-M. It’s that simple. That’s what I’m asking for.

It is a simple question. Take a DTA and measure the coal with a 140 ELD-M. It’s that simple. That’s what I’m asking for.
Obviously you aren't reading what others and I have said... or you don't get it, which is it?

Reactions: SRPowah
I have one...when I get home I’ll post my measurement. Will be late this evening.

Your profile says you are from "Miserable CA" which makes sense as you are a miserable motherfucker with a shit attitude who spit on people who actually tried to help you as you seem to be too fucking stupid to understand the answer and are too fucking lazy to measure your chamber yourself.

And aside from determining whether it will fit the mag, who cares about COAL. If you are looking to see if a chamber is eroded, you should be looking for base to ogive....CTBO...right?

Wow....I feel much better now.

Last edited:
Your profile says you are from "Miserable CA" which makes sense as you are a miserable motherfucker with a shit attitude who spit on people who actually tried to help you as you seem to be too fucking stupid to understand the answer and are too fucking lazy to measure your chamber yourself.

And aside from determining whether it will fit the mag, who cares about COAL. If you are looking to see if a chamber is eroded, you should be looking for base to ogive....CTBO...right?

Wow....I feel much better now.

I spat on people’s trying to help me???

Lol I asked for a simple fucking number. I did not ask for reloading advice. I don’t need reloading advice.

Do you know the difference between information and advice?

Are you both using the same CBTO measurement method and bullet?

No. He was saying his barrel was shot out and wanted a new barrel. I know that for a 6.5 cm barrel to be shot out the rifling would need to have eroded a lot, like .1” or so. So a base number like 2.850” would be sufficient for me to know that his barrel, which came in at 2.846”, was not shot out and in fact was hardly worn.

No. He was saying his barrel was shot out and wanted a new barrel. I know that for a 6.5 cm barrel to be shot out the rifling would need to have eroded a lot, like .1” or so. So a base number like 2.850” would be sufficient for me to know that his barrel, which came in at 2.846”, was not shot out and in fact was hardly worn.
Man, I hate to pile on, but you still don’t quite get it.

A bullet touches the lands at the very front of the bearing surface, where the ogive of the bullet first reaches full diameter. However, this is a highly inconsistent place to measure cartridge length (technically “cartridge base to ogive,” or CBTO), since that’s where the ogive angle is shallowest. At that spot on the bullet any slight diameter variation in the bullet or measurement tool would lead to a major change in CBTO measurement. This is why most CBTO measurements are taken at a markedly smaller diameter than bore diameter, but there’s no standard for what that smaller diameter is, so different tool makers end up with differently sized measurement tools, which would in turn lead to noticeably different CBTO measurements on the exact same cartridge. Add to that, every 6.5mm bullet should have the same bearing surface diameter measurement, 0.264”, but they will vary widely when it comes to how far away from the beginning of that surface a given CBTO measurement tool will rest on the ogive. For instance, at the same COAL (“cartridge overall length,” from base to meplat), my Hornady CBTO tool will measure a MUCH longer CBTO with a 127gr LRX than a 147gr ELDM, because the LRX ogive has a more gradual taper to the bearing surface.

So. Two different bullets seated to the lands in the same 6.5 CM bore would have the same TRUE CBTO, but would almost certainly yield different CBTO measurements using a sub-bore measurement tool (which is why they’re called comparators, not CBTO-meters). This is why it matters that you and @Graye2 didn’t verify that you’re using the same bullet and tool; your numbers likely have no relation to each other.

Finally, you obviously DID need to be schooled on this, and I hope I’ve given you the information you need to chase down your desired answer. The fact that you didn’t supply multiple pieces of mandatory information for someone else to answer your question made it obvious to multiple respondents on this thread that you didn’t fully know what the fuck you’re asking. You then proceeded to spit on some of them, as has been mentioned. Try to be less a prick the next time you ask for help.

Man, I hate to pile on, but you still don’t quite get it.

A bullet touches the lands at the very front of the bearing surface, where the ogive of the bullet first reaches full diameter. However, this is a highly inconsistent place to measure cartridge length (technically “cartridge base to ogive,” or CBTO), since that’s where the ogive angle is shallowest. At that spot on the bullet any slight diameter variation in the bullet or measurement tool would lead to a major change in CBTO measurement. This is why most CBTO measurements are taken at a markedly smaller diameter than bore diameter, but there’s no standard for what that smaller diameter is, so different tool makers end up with differently sized measurement tools, which would in turn lead to noticeably different CBTO measurements on the exact same cartridge. Add to that, every 6.5mm bullet should have the same bearing surface diameter measurement, 0.264”, but they will vary widely when it comes to how far away from the beginning of that surface a given CBTO measurement tool will rest on the ogive. For instance, at the same COAL (“cartridge overall length,” from base to meplat), my Hornady CBTO tool will measure a MUCH longer CBTO with a 127gr LRX than a 147gr ELDM, because the LRX ogive has a more gradual taper to the bearing surface.

So. Two different bullets seated to the lands in the same 6.5 CM bore would have the same TRUE CBTO, but would almost certainly yield different CBTO measurements using a sub-bore measurement tool (which is why they’re called comparators, not CBTO-meters). This is why it matters that you and @Graye2 didn’t verify that you’re using the same bullet and tool; your numbers likely have no relation to each other.

Finally, you obviously DID need to be schooled on this, and I hope I’ve given you the information you need to chase down your desired answer. The fact that you didn’t supply multiple pieces of mandatory information for someone else to answer your question made it obvious to multiple respondents on this thread that you didn’t fully know what the fuck you’re asking. You then proceeded to spit on some of them, as has been mentioned. Try to be less a prick the next time you ask for help.

I know how different bullets interact with the rifling. I also know the tolerances of Hornady bullets, having used them for decades. And for what I needed to determine, all your precision analysis was overkill.

I was looking for my bullet to hit the lands at 2.950” or something in that neighborhood. But it hit the lands at 2.846” which told me that there was little wear, even when factoring in the tolerances.

So no, I do get it and don’t need to be schooled.