• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA or Custom Build

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am currently in a position to spend about $4500 on a rifle. If I have to spend a little more than that, it's not a big deal.

I am considering building an all-out custom .308. I have been looking at various rifle builders. GAP, Beanland, ETC.

I like the GAP Crusader but would want to make a few mods to the desgin (add a Templar v2 action {which is just a Defiance Deviant}, Badger EFR, Flush Cups, Adjustable Cheek, Thread Barrel, etc).

I have also considered a DTA SRS. They are easy to find in stock, come with pretty much everything I would need, have a lot of rail modularity, already threaded, etc.

Give me your advice. I would like to start shooting competitively and am not afraid to spend the money on a good quality rifle and eventually new glass.

I was in your same shoes a few weeks ago. Ended up going with a Beanland custom rifle. Was going to have a 6.5x47 dra for comps but decided to save a little bit of money and get a great rifle with a decent scope. Could have done the dta but my budget would have been maxed and would have been stuck with a crummy Philippine made scope...

I would love to have gone with the dta but I had no wiggle room for my budget. I really dont think you can go wrong either way. Always wanted a surgeon action and always wanted Jon to build me a rifle. Now I have both... Win / Win?

Last edited:
I was in your same shoes a few weeks ago. Ended up going with a Beanland custom rifle. Was going to have a 6.5x47 dra for comps but decided to save a little bit of money and get a great rifle with a decent scope. Could have done the dta but my budget would have been maxed and would have been stuck with a crummy Philippine made scope...

I would love to have gone with the dta but I had no wiggle room for my budget. I really dont think you can go wrong either way. Always wanted a surgeon action and always wanted Jon to build me a rifle. Now I have both... Win / Win?

So he was able to build on a surgeon action? Do you mind if I ask the cost? I would prefer to go with a custom action but don't want to over pay just so it says GA Precision.

I have been using an competing with an SRS for years. I would highly recommend one.

I'm debating myself on a DTA! Anyone know weight differences btw an SRS 20" .308 and an AI AT .308 22" folder? Thanks

I'm debating myself on a DTA! Anyone know weight differences btw an SRS 20" .308 and an AI AT .308 22" folder? Thanks

I will see if I can get them on the scale today. I have a 24" AT folder in stock and an SRS w/ 22" .308 barrel. I am pretty sure that the DT is a pound or two lighter and when shot unsupported, will feel significantly lighter.

So he was able to build on a surgeon action? Do you mind if I ask the cost? I would prefer to go with a custom action but don't want to over pay just so it says GA Precision.

He has his shop fees posted on his site Home . I believe in his work and believe I will have a better product for the cost. His fees seem to be priced very well. I contacted a few guys that I know do great work and ended up with Jon.

I can give you some input, being a DTA owner. The DTA is a fantastic platform, it is the #1 choice for a multi caliber rifle IMO, easy and fairly inexpensive to go from 308 based calibers to belted mags all the way to 338LM in the same package with one optic and one rifle to acclimate to. The DTA is very well suited for prone, it even works fairly well for positional shooting. Shortcomings (a) the bolt is a little slow to operate during positional shooting (b) mag changes are a little slower and you need to change mags more frequently (6 rnds), forget about single round feeding the rifle unless you put the muzzle in the dirt and let gravity allow the bullet to find the chamber (c) shooting weak side is a PITA. I have shot the DTAs in a few matches and didn't feel like the rifle was a major handicap, but it is not the go to rifle I grab to shoot matches.

If your primary goal is to start shooting competitively, I feel the DTA is a good choice but maybe not the best. I would opt for a custom build on a more traditional platform, Rem 700 based action, composite stock or chassis is up to you. Not to discourage you from choosing the 308, but you will be at a disadvantage in competition shooting along side the 6-6.5s. Until you really get a grasp on ballistics, trajectory and reading the wind, a flatter shooting round would be advised. The 6.5CM is a fantastic round, considering the availability of match grade ammo.

I know its a convoluted answer, but I hope it helps.

I have a DTA with SAC barrel and shoots great. I my opinion just as good as a custom build, can hold 3/8 MOA. It's not as smooth cycling, you can't build it exactly the way you want it. The ability to change caliber is the big plus for me. I love mine.

I have a DTA and custom build. Both are supremely accurate with my Collier edging out the DTA (~3/8moa vs ~1/4moa). RMW is correct though- the perceived weight of an unsupported DTA is considerably less than a conventional build. I took mine to South Africa last year and everyone laughed at me for the weight until they shouldered it. They all commented on how light it felt.

The advantages of the DTA over the full custom are the monopod, rail for NV, and perceived weight. The only downsides are the caliber conversions/replacement barrels are more expensive than an AIAT/AIAX-MC/Surgeon switchbarrel setup and the 5rd magazines. Some competitors have lost time due to required mag changes in a stage. Barrel threading is a wash as all DTAs come with 3/4x24 threads which mean if you will need it rethreaded for smaller caliber non-DTSS suppressors. Other amenities such as canted bases, adjustable cheekpieces, etc. are features/on both.

So in summary- get the DTA... and then a custom, haha

Reactions: B.Wilker
I can give you some input, being a DTA owner. The DTA is a fantastic platform, it is the #1 choice for a multi caliber rifle IMO, easy and fairly inexpensive to go from 308 based calibers to belted mags all the way to 338LM in the same package with one optic and one rifle to acclimate to. The DTA is very well suited for prone, it even works fairly well for positional shooting. Shortcomings (a) the bolt is a little slow to operate during positional shooting (b) mag changes are a little slower and you need to change mags more frequently (6 rnds), forget about single round feeding the rifle unless you put the muzzle in the dirt and let gravity allow the bullet to find the chamber (c) shooting weak side is a PITA. I have shot the DTAs in a few matches and didn't feel like the rifle was a major handicap, but it is not the go to rifle I grab to shoot matches.

If your primary goal is to start shooting competitively, I feel the DTA is a good choice but maybe not the best. I would opt for a custom build on a more traditional platform, Rem 700 based action, composite stock or chassis is up to you. Not to discourage you from choosing the 308, but you will be at a disadvantage in competition shooting along side the 6-6.5s. Until you really get a grasp on ballistics, trajectory and reading the wind, a flatter shooting round would be advised. The 6.5CM is a fantastic round, considering the availability of match grade ammo.

I know its a convoluted answer, but I hope it helps.

He brings good points. About shooting weak handed and mag changes. A more traditional rifle might be better. It's a lot different running the bolt on a DTA, having it that close to your face..

I have a DTA and custom build. Both are supremely accurate with my Collier edging out the DTA (~3/8moa vs ~1/4moa). RMW is correct though- the perceived weight of an unsupported DTA is considerably less than a conventional build. I took mine to South Africa last year and everyone laughed at me for the weight until they shouldered it. They all commented on how light it felt.

The advantages of the DTA over the full custom are the monopod, rail for NV, and perceived weight. The only downsides are the caliber conversions/replacement barrels are more expensive than an AIAT/AIAX-MC/Surgeon switchbarrel setup and the 5rd magazines. Some competitors have lost time due to required mag changes in a stage. Barrel threading is a wash as all DTAs come with 3/4x24 threads which mean if you will need it rethreaded for smaller caliber non-DTSS suppressors. Other amenities such as canted bases, adjustable cheekpieces, etc. are features/on both.

So in summary- get the DTA... and then a custom, haha

You could buy the DTA chassis then have Mark at SAC make you the conversion kit and have the muzzle thread what size you want. Lol

I have shot mine long range but never in a tactical match so I don't know what it's like shooting off barricades or weak handed.maybe someone can talk about that part of it.

The monopod on the DTA is absolutely better than any other offering out there.

There are two downsides to an SRS in a PRS type competition. The first and most important is the lack of a 10 round mag. On stages there just 10 rounds is required, you are at a disadvantage as you will be forced to perform a mag change (srs non magnum magazine holds 6 rounds). The other is weak sided shooting (left handed shooting) will require you to lift your head to cycle the action. I have not come across many stages where shooting left handed was much of an issue. I keep hearing that the 10 round mag issue is going to be addressed. I hope it is soon, because I know it has cost me points at PSR type matches.

If Desert Tech would introduce a 10 round mag to the market, they would have a very viable PRS rifle. The SRS is a couple pounds lighter than most custom bolt actions with similar length barrels. It feels significantly lighter when shot offhand compared to a standard bolt action rifle of similar weight. It is much easier to move in, out, and around barricades. When in prone the Bipod is easily within reach for quick adjustments. The monopod is an amazing piece of kit and worth the expense in my opinion. The tubular forend allows shooters to wrap/tie shooting bags around the front of the rifle for use on barricades without touching the barrel.

Both the AT and SRS are incredibly accurate rifles. I like to ask my customers how things are going after they have spent some time with their rifles. When I ask them about accuracy on their rifles, the response that I get from nearly everyone is that they both shoot bug hole groups at 100 yards and do fantastic at distance.

FYI - the Desert Tech barrels have enough meat on the end of them that you can have the 3/4 X 24 threads changed to 5/8 x 24 without having to cut the barrel and start over.

All the SRS barrels that I have personal experience with shoot under half inch easily. In my opinion the only reason to go with a custom barrel for an SRS, would be to get a caliber that is not currently offered by Desert Tech. The factory barrels shoot incredible.

FYI - the Desert Tech barrels have enough meat on the end of them that you can have the 3/4 X 24 threads changed to 5/8 x 24 without having to cut the barrel and start over.

All the SRS barrels that I have personal experience with shoot under half inch easily. In my opinion the only reason to go with a custom barrel for an SRS, would be to get a caliber that is not currently offered by Desert Tech. The factory barrels shoot incredible.

This is a good point. My DTA (22" 308win) was rethreaded by Joe Collier without shortening the barrel.

I also agree that the cost of a bolt/mag/barrel-from-SAC is about $1750 with most of the popular DTA conversions at around $1450. Add on the cost of rethreading ($120 in my case) and you save money going with a DTA barrel. As RMW said, I don't see an advantage to SAC other than the availability of non-DTA produced calibers. But I won't knock you if that's the way you go!

Just to give you an idea of just how much of an advantage you have with the barrel length on the DTA, here is a pic of me shooting a DTA in a hybrid 3 gun match (precision rifle, carbine, pistol). The barrel in the pic is a 28" 243 barrel, with the muzzle brake it sits at 30". I can get all the velocity out of a long barrel (115 DTACs @ 3100), but try going through a tunnel barricade like the one in this stage with a traditional rifle and 30" of barrel. The rifle is about the same length as a standard 20" barreled rifle.

P4120772_zpsb2cdb121.jpg

wve1xv.jpg

If youre close by North DFW youre more than welcome to shoot/fondle my DT srs. Its truely a work of art and shoots lights out. Im almost ready to purchase the 300wm conversion. This ones a gen 2 w monopod and 27" bbl chambered in 6.5 creed.

He brings good points. About shooting weak handed and mag changes. A more traditional rifle might be better. It's a lot different running the bolt on a DTA, having it that close to your face..

Those are some of the same reasons why I've stuck with a traditional bolt gun. I really did enjoy the DTA I owned, but I found a traditional rifle just a bit more comfortable (and familiar) for me. And as great as the DTA trigger is, it could not quite compare to the better triggers I've owned. As for the caliber conversion, it is very simple and easy, but I found that, at least for my own use, I do all the caliber changes at home before I get to the range so, I could just as easily take a different rifle. The easy changing capability was never a huge factor (unless you're trying to save some money). I personally would rather just have another rifle.

Every time I see one of these threads it makes me want to try a DTA to see how they feel.

Check out Accurate Ordnance
I ordered a Custom Barreled action off of a Stiller Tac30 with a Rock Creek Barrel that they had to me in a week and half!
There prices are fair and there work is impeccable.

The DTA or AI battle is one the is completely dependent on the users shooting plans. I've heard that both are great! I think I'm gonna go with the DTA just simply because of
It's maneuverability and handiness to grab and go in a smaller lighter package!

I have both the DTA and AI AT, you can't go wrong with either. Versatility goes to the DTA ,and quality of construction goes to the AI. They both shoot very well, and incidently use the same barrel manufacture.

I have both a DTA and AIAE, I love them both especially the AI. The AI is really comfortable to shoot. But I still shoot my DTA a lot more. I like the compactness of the DTA. My DTA w/ a 24" 308 is the same length as my AR with a 16" barrel (stock extended).

Hard to explain, but the AI just feels a lot more solid. I love DTA and have had a SRS since the beginning, and this will hurt some feelings, but they have some Quality control issues. Just my opinion as a guy that has owned two SRS chassis and a HTI. Would I purchase a SRS again, absolutely.

I agree with Net65 on the AI having a higher quality of construction. The Action on the AI is smoother, fit and finish are better, 10 round mags are a huge plus for comps, the rifle just seems to be a little better thought out / refined.

That being said, I love my SRS and on my budget if I could only have one rifle I would lean towards the SRS.

I have heard that DTA mags are kinda cheesy in quality... input anyone? And any word on a possible 10rd mag? And how well does the DTA hold up for a throw over your shoulder and hike through the woods rifle? Thx for the input!! I am so torn between an AIAT or a SRS... so many trade-offs to consider! My main concern with the AT is un-supported shooting stability, and with the SRS is the mag capacity and overall durability... Thanks for the input, it is very helpful!

I have heard that DTA mags are kinda cheesy in quality... input anyone? And any word on a possible 10rd mag? And how well does the DTA hold up for a throw over your shoulder and hike through the woods rifle?

A. Mags are not cheesy at all, that is most likely an opinion you read of someone that has never owned or handled one.

B. They are working on a 10 rnd mag, no word on a release date but its coming.

C. The DTA is a fantastic throw it over your shoulder rifle, mainly since it is short and balanced very well. There are also multiple flush cup sling points

Ok.. thank you that clears the air for me considerably! And I really want to get the SRS in 260Rem... But cant seem to find a reliable source of ammo, any suggestions? I've heard of great results with the 139gr Corbon rounds and BH Match. Thx again

I have a DTA SRS and several traditional rifles including a AIAW. I shoot the DTA so much more than my others that it takes me some time to get comfortable behind a traditional rifle. If I could only have one rifle, there is no question that it would be a DTA SRS.

Now thats some ingenuity! I am pretty much sold on the SRS just anxiously awaiting a 10rd mag to be available!
SO.. 260Rem shooters, where do you get your ammo?? I dont have the time to precision reload, I just load handgun calibers.

Now thats some ingenuity! I am pretty much sold on the SRS just anxiously awaiting a 10rd mag to be available!
SO.. 260Rem shooters, where do you get your ammo?? I dont have the time to precision reload, I just load handgun calibers.

I have an SRS in .260, but I reload. If you are not a reloader, get the 6.5 CM. The performance and accuracy are just as good as the 260 and factory ammo is good quality,readily available and reasonably priced.

I shoot an SRS with the factory .260 barrel. I reload and use Lapua 139 Scenars and RL17 Powder. If you do not reload, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had a customer just pick one up locally and he is reporting that it is shooting 1/4 MOA single hole groups at 100 yards and 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yards.

I have both in stock too.

Ok thanks for the info.. I imagine the 140gr BTHP rounds shoot great! any specific manufacturer make a superbly accurate round?

I have an SRS in .260, but I reload. If you are not a reloader, get the 6.5 CM. The performance and accuracy are just as good as the 260 and factory ammo is good quality,readily available and reasonably priced.

Ok thanks for the info.. I imagine the 140gr BTHP rounds shoot great! any specific manufacturer make a superbly accurate round?

Im getting an avg of 2875 fps with winchester creedmoor factory ammo and good accuracy to boot. The slight b.c. nudge going to the hornady amax factory ammo though. You shouldnt notice a difference inside say 800 yards on a calm day.

from the brief research ive done it seems that the CM has about the same ballistics as the 300wm with less energy upon impact. As long as it delivers 1/2moa accuracy to around 800yds im happy! Assuming I can be that accurate that is...

I shoot an SRS with the factory .260 barrel. I reload and use Lapua 139 Scenars and RL17 Powder. If you do not reload, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had a customer just pick one up locally and he is reporting that it is shooting 1/4 MOA single hole groups at 100 yards and 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yards.

I have both in stock too.

I have an SRS as well as rifles in AICS chassis (GAP build). I just took the SRS on an elk hunt and harvested a bull at 525 yards. Would never consider taking the AICS.

The balance of the DTA makes the weight much more tolerable. I even hunted with my suppressor and it was shorter with suppressor and 26" barrel than some of my non-suppressed hunting rifles.

I have 2 DTA SRS A1s in 260, 308 and 338LM, as well as the new AIAXMC 260 & 308 and AI AT folder in 260 & 308. Both are phenomenal quality and have great triggers. I like the SRS length the best, but do feel the AI quality, mag capacity and 2 stage trigger is better. At their present price range, see no need to consider a custom rifle in one caliber and 9 month wait to acquire. One scope for multiple calibers is sweet.

Some guys would never consider anything but custom builds. Their choice, but I feel the SRS or AIs are definitely equivalent. I think if you can get behind an SRS or AI and do some shooting you would never consider another custom. Great CS from companies and spare parts easy and fast to get from DT, Orkan or RMW. Almost every time I'm at the range I let the interested guys shoot 5-10 rounds through each and no one has yet not been amazed at their feel and accuracy!

Last edited:
Every time I think my want for a DTA is gone someone has to bring this kinda thread up and start it all over again! The DTA is a great rifle, as is the AI. You can't go wrong either way you work it!

The DTA is a quality product, but as Chiller pointed out, you really need to try one out. I was considering one and got a chance to get behind one and shoot it. Glad I did before buying because it was just not a good fit for me. The bolt handle position, limited mag capacity, mag change mechanics, ergonomics, etc just turned me off to it. Wasnt terribly impressed with how it shot but to be fair, I didnt have a lot of time and rounds behind it either.

I considered another custom (already have 3)but didnt really want to wait. I am so glad that I didnt. I ended up getting an AIAX in 260 and couldn't be happier. Benchrest accuracy that is equal to any custom at any price with anvil like durability and reliability. For that price range look into an older AIAX or an AIAT. You just might fall in love. I know I did and am now spoiled for anything else.

DTA or Custom Build

I have a gap hospitaller in .308 me and a friend both shot 300-1000 yards last weekend. He could hit everything I could hit with his 5r mil spec. So there ya have it. My gun is heavy next build I'm definitely going a lot lighter. All I hear is the bad about the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor, shoot great but the brass sucks. I like my friends .260 but he can only get a few loads out of lapua brass too. Sac, bean land, crescent customs are some good shops. I am very happy with my gap

Never have had the chance to shoot a DTA. Has any DTA owner had a case separation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: