• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS 308 win. 22" bbl or 26" bbl?

par0thead151

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
im about to pull the trigger on a DTA SRS in 308 win. the only choice i have left is if i want a 22" or 26" barrel.
anyone who has experience with either of these, i would much appreciate your feedback
thanks

edited to add:
i have a friend who is strongly encouraging me to consider other manufacturers as they are more affordable but net similar or better accuracy. TRG, georgia arms, etc.
i have shot a 338 DTA SRS and loved everything about it.
i have not had much hands on experience with other precision rifles though...

Re: DTA SRS 308 win. 22" bbl or 26" bbl?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 for sure.</div></div>

Get the covert conversion and go 16" ignore CBM.
grin.gif

Ps. I would definately argue the more accurate point. They really don't get any more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ps. I would definately argue the more accurate point. They really don't get any more accurate. </div></div>

arguing that DTA is as accurate as they get?

basically im looking for reassurance that im not going wrong with the SRS. or that i could have gotten a better bang for my buck elsewhere.
call it buyers remorse, as this is one of the largest purchase i have ever made aside from my home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: par0thead151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ps. I would definately argue the more accurate point. They really don't get any more accurate. </div></div>

arguing that DTA is as accurate as they get?

basically im looking for reassurance that im not going wrong with the SRS. or that i could have gotten a better bang for my buck elsewhere.
call it buyers remorse, as this is one of the largest purchase i have ever made aside from my home. </div></div>

Yes, they are about as good as it gets. I dont think you'll go wrong with any of the kits, but given the choices I'd go 22. My preference also would be 16", bigsky has a shorty complex
grin.gif
I just know what works
wink.gif
LOL

22in.

Rest assured you will enjoy your DTA, they shoot extremely well and the fact that they are a bullpup design is just a bonus. Add to that the ability to change calibers, and its a very good deal.

What about GAP or TRG? Is the SRS cost worth the extra cost?

part, I have two of them....you can't go wrong with them if you like the bullpup and you can afford them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about GAP or TRG? Is the SRS cost worth the extra cost? </div></div>
yes

My SRS shoots better than I do! I have the 22" barrel and I've taken it out to 1000 yards in the summer in Texas with Southwest Ammo 175s so I wouldn't worry about the 4" boost you'd get with a 26" bbl.

I've taken my 16" out past 1000 and hit 6" plates at 500 with subsonics as has CBM
wink.gif
due to the 1 in 8 twist of the 16". Plus they're dead sexy.
wjji1t.jpg

Ok here's another question regardless of barrel length.

Covert or standard forearm and why?

Covert. A covert can do anything the SRS can do, but the SRS can not do what the Covert can.

PART it all matters how far you plan to shoot this thing. I too am in the same situation as you. But my choices are 16" or 22" I did not see the need for the 26" as this was the whole reason to getting the DTA for its shortness. 90% of the time my shooting is under 500yds due to range limits. I shoot subsonics 50% of the time another reason that I want the 16" 1-8 twist.

Its a hard decision but with the choices you mentioned I'd go with the 22". I have spent countless hours searching for another pullpup and NOTHING in my opinion comes close.

And with the 12% discount on a new one makes the offer even better.

I have a Covert with both the 16" 8-twist and 22" 11-twist barrels, as well as a brand new 18" 10-twist barrel from Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. I just had the new barrel out for the first time this past weekend. All these barrels shoot very well, generally in the 0.75 MOA range in my hands. If anything, the new 18 incher is even a little better than that.

My overall feeling regarding precision is that it is a more challenging for me personally to drive the Covert chassis to its full potential. I'm sure in the right hands, the Covert with any of the three barrels would be more like a 0.5 MOA rifle, or even slightly better. Although I find the bullpup design very comfortable and easy to use, the shortness of the foregrip and thus the location of the bipod close in to body of the rifle makes it more challenging for me to hold it as steady as a longer rifle system when shooting groups at 100 yd. YMMV.

My understanding is that foregrip conversions between the SRS and Covert lengths are currently (or soon will be) available. Obviously, the 16" barrel is much too short to use in the standard chassis, unless the foregrip is shortened. So if you go with the standard chassis, you'll need the foregrip conversion kit if you want a barrel shorter than 22". Regardless of the chassis, I'm not sure what a 26" barrel in .308 will buy you with this system. I've used both the 22" and 16" barrels out to 600 yd with ease. As mentioned above, others have taken both out to 1000 yd with no problems. So a 26" barrel might buy you somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-60 fps more muzzle velocity, but it will also come at the expense of mobility and ease of handling.

As far as the comparison to GAP rifles, I can say for certain that both of my GAPs are more precise in my hands than the Covert (regardless of the barrel used) by a fair margin. As I mentioned above, this could well be due to my shortcomings as a Covert driver. But really, having shot thousands of rounds through both types of rifle systems, my take is that their strengths and optimal usages are quite different. The strength of the SRS systems is their small size, lighter weight, ease of handling, and caliber exchange capability. Of course, very good precision comes along with that. In contrast, both of my GAPs were intended for F-class competition shooting and weigh in the neighborhood of 16-17 lb decked out. They are unbelievably precise and absolutely shoot bugholes, but I wouldn't want to lug one around through the woods all day. However, that is not why I purchased them. So deciding how you will use the rifle most often should help you determine which system's strengths best fit your intended purpose.

Frankly, you won't go wrong with either type of system, depending on your intended use. Below is a link to a little review of the Covert I did a while back if you're interested. Good luck with the decision!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597047&page=16

22" or 26"? I am quite please with the 22" .308 barrel which I shoot at a 1000 yds once a month as well as other distances works fine, this is my second barrel so I have shot quite a few rounds. IMO 26" is too long and negates some of the benefits of the SRS system.

There is a learning curve shooting SRS it takes some time to learn the rifle, it will point out any small errors in position , NPA, trigger etc. You really have to drive the rifle, AIAWs and alike are more forgiving do to weight.

Yes I do really like the system and it is great to shoot, best to try one out if you can

now the question is, black, FDE or OD for the cerakote
south eastern WI terrain....