• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dta srs barrel extension

gzitterspiller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2014
I have seen that they are sold separatedely but in their original barrels is it milled in the barrel or is it attached? (Are the barrels bought from their site a one or two pieces assembly?)

They come attached to the bbl. The option to buy one is for you to have a choice in who chambers your bbl.

LIke Jeff1383 said. The are attached to the barrel. If you happen to shoot your barrel out, be sure to keep your barrel extension as it can be reused. You can also buy extra barrel extensions if you need.

We have plenty of extensions in stock if you're needing an extra. :)

When you order a barrel for a DTA from DTA or from us, it comes with an extension already headspaced and ready to shoot.

Last one, can be the barrel extension be milled into the barrel? Where could I get that done?

Not sure why you would want to do that, its like building a ship in a bottle. There are extensions available, as long as the threads are cut properly between the barrel and extension, they essentially become one piece.

That's the equivalent of milling a barrel extension onto an AR15 barrel...

It's so much easier not to, why waste the $$$$?

That being said, I can see it being difficult to ream/chamber because of the added length...

Not sure why you would want to do that, its like building a ship in a bottle. There are extensions available, as long as the threads are cut properly between the barrel and extension, they essentially become one piece.

Not being disrespectful, why are everybody here trying to figure out "why", but I will tell you, I am a mechanical engineering student and we studied "Damped harmonic oscillator" that effect also exists at a metallic bonding between 2 atoms, that movement is best "absorbed" if the barrel ext and barrel are one piece at a molecular level and not threaded, (between the extremely small gaps there will be air and they'll keep bouncing making the whole structure vibrate).

Call me crazy, I DO KNOW that it will not change the accuaracy in a practical level, but I have money to spend and it makes me happy.

Thanks for your responses btw, and before you ask, english is not my main.

Not being disrespectful, why are everybody here trying to figure out "why", but I will tell you, I am a mechanical engineering student and we studied "Damped harmonic oscillator" that effect also exists at a metallic bonding between 2 atoms, that movement is best "absorbed" if the barrel ext and barrel are one piece at a molecular level and not threaded, (between the extremely small gaps there will be air and they'll keep bouncing making the whole structure vibrate).

Call me crazy, I DO KNOW that it will not change the accuaracy in a practical level, but I have money to spend and it makes me happy.

Thanks for your responses btw, and before you ask, english is not my main.

My comment wasn't disrespectful, I was simply asking why waste the $$$$...But, again it's not my money so, personally, no shits were/are given.

That being said, any gain in accuracy/harmonics is theory...It could go the other way and end up costing you accuracy as well...The vibration could very well be absorbed and dispersed to better guide the bullet down range...

Barrel extensions are incredibly tight...Not saying there aren't minute air pockets because any engineer will tell you that there are but, are they big enough to matter? IMO, no.

Ultimately again, it's not my money...So if you want to put lipstick on a pig, that's your prerogative.

I didn't call your comment disrespectful, I didn't want to sound disrespectful by asking you to stop asking "why".
In conclusion, do you know any gunsmith (quality one) that could accept this job ?

pd: "So if you want to put lipstick on a pig" good one hahaha.

I don't know of any smiths that will do this. They would need to have the blueprints from DT and I doubt they are willing to give those out.

I can tell you from 4 years of experience shooting a DTA SRS that their barrels are unbelievably accurate. Mine will easily shoot under 1/2" groups all day and will occasionally turn in single hole 1/8th MOA groups when I can do my part. I would not personally be worried about having the extension milled into the barrel.

I am a DTA dealer and would be happy to help you with any other questions you have about the rifle system.

There are some issues with your request, but if you want to discuss it, you can give me a call anytime.

Barrel extensions are typically hardened to ensure they don't stretch/move/wear and so are the bolt heads. What you are describing is "possible" but extremely expensive. The 3-lug interrupted thread hybrid type design on these bolts/extensions means there is some seriously complex geometry inside the extension. If you can only come in from one end, you are going to need some VERY expensive tooling and extremely capable machines and operators to do it. Then as others mentioned, it's tougher to chamber when you get a recessed space like that. Once that is done, the whole thing would likely need to be hardened... so perhaps it could be nitrided... but there's a lot to account for in this process. A whole lot.

I would bet it would take something on the order of $5000 just to get started. If that doesn't scare you... give me a call. We can work it out.

Definitely could be done but you would probably just be trying to make a better mouse trap in the end.

Gzitter
milling lugs into the barrel is a bad idea because you would have to heat treat the rear of the barrel and I'm sure the steel used for the barrel would not be suitable to achieve necessary strength for the lugs. It would create a Big safety issue.