• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DTA SRS covert 308 + 7wsm

Bob Roberts

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Hi all,

I’m new to long range shooting and I’m presently going to a club with a 1000 yard range to learn all about this interesting sport.

I quite like the idea of 7wsm but from my research I’ve discovered that it’s barrel life is not the best.

My plan is to use the 7wsm for 700 - 1000 yards and 308 for less than 600 yards unless it is very windy.
grin.gif

The thought of being able to quickly switch to 7wsm and f class open if the weather is bad makes me smile.
smile.gif

I like the look of the DTA SRS Covert, with its 16in barrel it looks like it could quite fun to use in the practical comps, most of which are 300 yards. Shame about there not being 10 round mags though.

But will I be at much of a disadvantage using this barrel at up to 600 yards F T/R?

For any further I plan on switching to 7wsm. That way I should only use 500 ish rounds of 7wsm a year. Hopefully making the barrel last at least two seasons, maybe even three with any luck.

That’s one of the reasons I like the look of the DTA, I only have to learn to use one trigger and only have to purchase one scope but I can use a cheaper calibre for most of the shorter range comps then switch out to 7wsm when the shorter barrel is a limiting factor.

Do you all think that this set up sounds competitive?

Re: DTA SRS covert 308 + 7wsm

A 16" bbl for FTR won't be competitive.

A 7WSM with no brake, in a 12lb package will be a big pain in the ass for several 20 round strings.

Hi, thanks for replying.
smile.gif

I know the 7wsm looks punishing but at my club we usually only shoot 22 rounds in a day.

There are a few at my club that use this calibre with outstanding results.
cool.gif

Sounds like you should just talk with regular shooters at your club, since they sound very experienced. Have fun.

Since I dont shoot FTR, I cant comment about suitability of one setup or another. But I will say this, I love my SRS Covert for competition shooting, the 16" .308 barrel is very accurate, and I shoot competitively out to 900-1000 quite frequently. If not for the .260 and 7saum barrels, It would have been difficult to understand something working any better. But they sure do! Put a brake, or better still a suppressor and you can bang that 7wsm all day. Both are excellent choices, and I chose them for the same reasons you've mentioned.

Seems like a reasonable setup, I say go for it. That's what maybe me jump into an SRS. Oh, and I don't know what progress has been made, but for a while DTA was talking about potential 10rd mags in the future. I just wish they weren't $100 a pop

I've seen a DTA in the local comps here but the points that can be earned past 600 are generally pretty low so the additional investment in a swtich barrel seems a little pointless. Perhaps that isn't the case with your local club.

For all the expensive gear I've seen at my local matches the best investment by far is the shooter mod. If you are familiar with your equipment and you're consistent and can work well and quickly under presure it seems that that is more important than fancy gear.

If you're already competitive with a cheap .308 rifle and you need to score more points in the longer ranges then spring for the extra gear, otherwise shoot more and pass over the gadgets, cool as they may be.

I've been shooting the local comps for less than 20 months and with my cheap DIY stick I place pretty well, a few podium finishes. I, personally, do not think that swapping over to a DTA would make me all that much better.

Bob, check my response to same post in "F-Class" section, if you haven't already seen it.