• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS or AI AE MkII?

daplague

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2007
Since I first saw an Accuracy International rifle I fell in love and swore that I'd buy one. Last year the time finally came and I bought an AI AE MkII 2.0 and I love it with a few minor exceptions.

Before I bought it I was really on the fence about going with a DTA SRS instead and I'm now debating on if I should sell a friend my AI and go that route.

I know many of you have experience with both platforms and was hoping you can give me some of your insight of which you prefer and why. Below are some of my reasons for considering this move:

1. Though I've never fired a DTA, from handling them at my shop the balance is amazing, I really feel shooting it off-hand would be about ten times easier.

2. Caliber changes. I can't say that I'll ever buy the .338 conversion, but I also can't say I won't. It's nice to know that I could get into that game without dropping 4-6k on another rifle.

3. I can't stand how loose the AI bolt is while chambered and safed. I know this isn't an issue with the AW and maybe I should've held out until I could afford an AW but I didn't.

4. I love the bullpup design and how compact the SRS is. I've toyed with having my AI "coverted" by the fine folks at Mile High but being able to just buy a 762SDN6 to swap between the SRS and my REPR would be a huge benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I love my AI, I just wonder if I'd love the SRS better. Please let me know if you've owned both or spent significant time on each platform, what do you prefer.

TIA,
DaPlague

Re: DTA SRS or AI AE MkII?

The only way you will know, and that's all that matters, is if you get a chance to drive one. Once you've done that, you'll know which way to go. There will be pro's/con's to any system, just depends on what works for you. Glad I could be of no help :)

both are awesome weapons, i have a SRS and LOVE IT. i now have 4 calibers for mine and it is my go to system. it is a expensive buy in and probably not the best if you bore with a rifle easily and get rifle fever every six months but if you want a reliable system that is rugged and you can put one piece of glass on and run any number of calibers through the DTA is hard to beat.

You can't go wrong with either rifle, to be honest. It sounds like the SRS interests you as a "One scope, one chassis, many rifles" solution - and it's excellent in that regard. The ergonomics are surprisingly good and they are very accurate out of the box - like AI. Some people have a hard time getting used to cycling the bolt from so far back, but I personally never had a problem with it. Also, the magazines are limited to 5-6 rounds vs. AIs 10 rounders, but have the advantage of being longer than normal, allowing bullets to be seated farther out.

I tried the DTA and didn't like it, you should try to get behind one before you buy it. No one in my area had one so I just bought one to try it out. They are a nice rifle but I just didn't care for/couldn't get used to the bolt cycling.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice and info.

My indoor range rents them so I could try out to 100 yds. Love to try one in it's natural habitat though so if any Northern Colorado members feel like performing an act of charity....

the bolt action on a DTA people need to go into with a open mind, if you are used to a standard bolt then it will obviously feel weird to you and you will need to reteach yourself to work it, same with the mag, now having about 2500 rounds through mine i can say you get used to it and i actually like it alot. Just be forewarned it takes some getting used to.

DaPlague,

I can't offer much assistance being that I do not own either the SRS or the AI; however, I find myself in a similar quandry. I also have a REPR that I have set up just the way I want it, but I am considering selling it to purchase an AW. For the last year or so I like you have been iching for the AI or a SRS! If you had to choose your REPR or your AI, which would you choose? Good luck with decision....the good thing is all these rifles hold their value pretty well, guess you can give it a try?

You really need to shoot both and decide. To me, they are rifles with different purposes. If I wanted to change calibers in the field or swap between magnum and short action then the SRS is the easy choice. I didn't need that capacity when I bought the AE. I just needed a bulletproof. 308. That is what the AE Mk II was designed to be. I am contemplating having a 6.5CM barrel turned for it so i can change calibers as I please. The loose bolt issue that you describe is irritating in the field, but its a non issue for competition or range use.

I do like the SRS, but I don't think I would trade my AE for it. If I were going to buy a. 338LM right now, the SRS would be at the top of my options.

I think the DTA is a great platform, I personally wasnt ready to jump back and fourth from the DTA to my standard rifles. There is a bit of a earning curve but I think if you fully commit you will be very happy, I just didn't want to commit 100% to the DTA.

I have both the AWAI is on 7th barrel, DTA SRS 4000 + rounds. Really like DTA SRS lighter weight, more compact, change barrels and cal. etc. As it has been pointed out there is a learning curve to the DTA SRS and IMO is less forgiving of position errors, more so than the AWAI, the trigger takes some time with to master ( for me lack of a trigger stop). The difference is kind of like shooting a gas gun( the DTA) to a bolt gun ( the AI).

The DTA still has a few kinks that they are working to resolve being a new platform; the AI has the kinks worked out. All that said I really like the DTA SRS and the rifle I am reaching for most often especially when movement or humping is involved, the AI gets really tiring to lug about ( ok so that a physical condition on my part ) but its still a log

If I could only have one I'd almost find myself leaning to the REPR just because of the flexibility. Don't get me wrong, the AI is the better gun in nearly every way but I just feel you can do more with the REPR.

With that being said, good thing I don't need to make that decision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DaPlague,

I can't offer much assistance being that I do not own either the SRS or the AI; however, I find myself in a similar quandry. I also have a REPR that I have set up just the way I want it, but I am considering selling it to purchase an AW. For the last year or so I like you have been iching for the AI or a SRS! If you had to choose your REPR or your AI, which would you choose? Good luck with decision....the good thing is all these rifles hold their value pretty well, guess you can give it a try? </div></div>

I love AI everything. Never tried a DTA, though I came really close once or twice to buying one.

Now to play devils advocate- I really think AI is the top of the heap, and you already own one. If you want to switch the caliber, as long as it is a .308 bolt face, it is only a phone call away.

Let me ask you this- what is your main motivation for looking at the DTA, if you have no intent at this time to shoot .338?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love AI everything. Never tried a DTA, though I came really close once or twice to buying one.

Now to play devils advocate- I really think AI is the top of the heap, and you already own one. If you want to switch the caliber, as long as it is a .308 bolt face, it is only a phone call away.

Let me ask you this- what is your main motivation for looking at the DTA, if you have no intent at this time to shoot .338? </div></div>

Look at you guys, putting this back on me
grin.gif

I'd say my biggest gripe with my AI is that I can't shoot it accurately offhand. Also, I feel pretty certain I'm going to get into .338 at some point, just not immediately.

I agree that in my opinion AI is the top of the heap and I'm sure I'd always question my decision if I do switch, but I love the versatility of the DTA.

You guys have given me a lot to think about and I think the logical next step is to test drive a DTA. I wish I could justify just having both, and I'm trying my ass off not to throw the MRAD into the mix.

If you would like a nice introduction to the AI line, we are located in Erie, CO. I would be glad to schedule a time for you to come down, check out the AE MKIII and we can go from there. I will not get into the DTA vs AI, we just don't do business like that, so I will say I am very pro AI.

^^^that is a hell of a offer, stacey is good people and will take care of ya. you really can't go wrong with either. i'm sure nick would be happy to have ya in utah as well and show ya some sticks.

I own both and I love both. Neither is perfect but nothing man can make will ever be perfect. If I had to only have one I don't know but I would say SRS just becuase I can have multi calibre in one package. I'm not saying it's a better weapon but it has a feature I perfer over the other.

What do you mean the bolt is loose when chambered ?

I too have an AE and my next upgrade will either be to 6.5CM or if i can make the stretch i'd love to get the AX in 6.5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean the bolt is loose when chambered ?

I too have an AE and my next upgrade will either be to 6.5CM or if i can make the stretch i'd love to get the AX in 6.5.

</div></div>

Chamber a round, safe it, then see how freely the bolt moves. If you ever plan on moving with your rifle chambered it could be a major liability. It's not an issue with the three position safety on the AW or AE Mk III.

Ah, tend not to move around with a chambered rifle but will have a look. Thx

AI for sure. Just about every DTA I have seen has had their fair share of problems. At leas 4 or 5 DTAs I have seen won't eject worth a shit. DTA said they fired the person that let those issues go through in QA, but yet, most of them have gone through several ejector springs and the problem keep on coming back after the bolt was sent back and "fixed".

I love both platforms. The DTA's primary advantage is its compactness. If you're the kind who prefers a perfect trigger, you'll probably prefer the AI. The DTA has a very good trigger, but it's still not as clean as the better triggers on a traditional (non-bullpup) bolt gun. You'll just have to get behind one.

"3. I can't stand how loose the AI bolt is while chambered and safed. I know this isn't an issue with the AW and maybe I should've held out until I could afford an AW but I didn't."

Your assumption that the AW does not have this issue and the AE has it is incorrect. The bolts and action internals are virtually identical.
If you have a problem with an AI rifle and you are in the USA then you should contact AINA in Fredericksburg.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"3. I can't stand how loose the AI bolt is while chambered and safed. I know this isn't an issue with the AW and maybe I should've held out until I could afford an AW but I didn't."

Your assumption that the AW does not have this issue and the AE has it is incorrect. The bolts and action internals are virtually identical.
If you have a problem with an AI rifle and you are in the USA then you should contact AINA in Fredericksburg.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

</div></div>The bolts and internals are almost identical, but for one key feature- the AW/AX/AE MKIII all have a third position on the safety which locks the bolt. The AE MKI/MKII doesn't and I would agree that the bolt is too easy to open in this position to carry the rifle loaded on safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI for sure. Just about every DTA I have seen has had their fair share of problems. At leas 4 or 5 DTAs I have seen won't eject worth a shit. DTA said they fired the person that let those issues go through in QA, but yet, most of them have gone through several ejector springs and the problem keep on coming back after the bolt was sent back and "fixed". </div></div>

+1 I had three problems with the DTA SRS I had before I lost all confidence in the rifle and sold it. I have had AI’s much longer with thousands more rounds through them and have never had an issue with any of them. Go with the AI and never look back.

I had the ejection problem also but DTA had it fixed shortly there after. They sent me a bolt kit, I replaced the ejector and it's worked perfect ever since. Love the platform, extremely accurate and far more versatile than the AI platform. One scope, one trigger, one cheekweld, many rifles.
wink.gif

I have shot friends' SRS rifles and came away impressed enough to order one for myself. I made the mistake of shooting a friend's DTA Covert and came away thinking that may be a better option for me right now. So, I am selling my new SRS Chassis to purchase a Covert Chassis.

When I first looked at the rifle, I thought it would be awkward to shoot. After one range session with a friend's SRS, I felt very comfortable manipulating the bolt and shooting the rifle.

The SRS is a more versatile platform. Changing calibers could not be made much easier. Offhand shooting is also much easier with the SRS. The SRS hides it weight very well. For example, the SRS in .308 weighs around 12 lbs before it is scoped. Yet when shouldered offhand, it feels deceptively lighter than my 20" .308 bolt gun that weighs over 4 pounds less.

You really can't go wrong with the AI or the SRS. Your decision should ultimately be based upon your requirements for the platform. If you want something than can easily swap calibers then your best option is the SRS. If you want something a bit heavier, but proven in battle, then an AIAW is the logical choice.

Good luck with your purchase.

Love my DTA but I don't think any of these 6kg rifles are super accurate offhand. Not because of the rifle, purely the weight. I guess it depends on what you call a "accurate" though. Certainly points and balances well for 6kg rifle (with optics).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my DTA but I don't think any of these 6kg rifles are super accurate offhand. Not because of the rifle, purely the weight. I guess it depends on what you call a "accurate" though. Certainly points and balances well for 6kg rifle (with optics).</div></div>

Good point. It should also be mentioned that a shorter rifle is likely to be harder to keep steady from an unsupported/partially supported position. Ignoring the weight and how quickly either will tire you, I'd rather shoot the AI offhand than the SRS, for the sake of controllability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my DTA but I don't think any of these 6kg rifles are super accurate offhand. Not because of the rifle, purely the weight. I guess it depends on what you call a "accurate" though. Certainly points and balances well for 6kg rifle (with optics).</div></div>

Good point. It should also be mentioned that a shorter rifle is likely to be harder to keep steady from an unsupported/partially supported position. Ignoring the weight and how quickly either will tire you, I'd rather shoot the AI offhand than the SRS, for the sake of controllability. </div></div>
It's the other way around: a longer rifle is harder to control offhand (unless you got gorilla arms
smile.gif
).

Regardless, neither one is fun to shoot unsupported.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Offhand shooting is also much easier with the SRS. The SRS hides it weight very well. For example, the SRS in .308 weighs around 12 lbs before it is scoped. Yet when shouldered offhand, it feels deceptively lighter than my 20" .308 bolt gun that weighs over 4 pounds less.</div></div>
I had exact same impression. SRS was "easier" than e.g., my AICS - better weight distribution. But I still find it (and most other precision rifles) too heavy to shoot offhand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTA's primary advantage is its compactness.</div></div>
Well, that's one of the two primary advantages - IMHO the following is equally important:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SRS is a more versatile platform. Changing calibers could not be made much easier.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really can't go wrong with the AI or the SRS.</div></div>
+1.