• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS - Talk me out of being scared of a bullpup...

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
Ok, maybe I'm a little too ornery...
But, bullpups scare the hell out of me.

I know that there shouldn't be any issue with my reloads or factory ammo...

but I do read of guns blowing up.

the thing is, most of these shooters are 100% ok after this happens... aside from some ego damage and wallet destruction.

Reading the 'kaboom at manatee' thread... I can't help but wonder what would happen if the shooter was shooting bullpup... face right over the chamber... am I being too crazy about this?

I ask because I understand all the benefits of the design and have shot them with the 6.5 cm barrel. They are very accurate, handy, well built rifles. I won't take that away from them. And being able to switch barrels, well, how awesome is that? I am seriously considering buying one...but I like to shoot .338 LM so I would use that barrel often; has DTA done anything to mitigate the risk of blowing someone's face off?

Have they overbuilt the chamber area? Have they done anything like this to help this risk? Is it an irrational fear? I can't help but remind myself that it only takes ONE time to mess up...and being that we are all human and to err is human..I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

Any insight to the rifle system would be great. If you have one, please let me know your thoughts...if you have had the same concerns, please let me know as well. I'm not trying to bash this system because it's brilliant with this one exception; and if this exception is moot for any reason let me know, otherwise I will probably stick with my long and cumbersome rifles.

I think you're worried about something that happens so rarely that its pretty unlikely to happen. Even if it does the chance of splitting the chamber on one of these is pretty low too. The barrel diameter at the chamber and for about 5 inches forward is 1.25". Larger than many of the other bolt guns out there and carried further forward. The bolt locks into the barrel extension via 6 lugs so its as strong as if not stronger than the remmies, savages, mausers and all the others. If you're shooting the largest round the rifle is capable of there is still a generous safety margin. I've been shooting mine for about 4 years now with 4 different cartridges- 6.5X47 lapua, .338BR, .338 Lapua Magnum and 12.7X48(a 510 whisper equivalent). The .338 LM is a hot round and yet I feel no concerns about the rifle blowing up in my face. In addition, if the bolt for some reason let go I'd be hit in the shoulder instead of the face with whatever blew down the receiver channel.
I suppose if you're afraid of bullpups than you'll probably never feel comfortable despite the tons of stats that say your as safe if not safer than most of the standards you're judging by.

Hope that helps some

Frank

I have one and to be honest, I never even thought about this till I read your post. I have been shooting for 40 years and the only catastrophic failure I have ever personally witnessed involved a shotgun, not a rifle. And that mishap was due to extremely poor reloading practices that numerous people (including myself) had warned the OP against. He finally had to learn the hard way. It cost him a $1500 shotgun and a broken collar bone, but other than that he came out of it ok.

If you use sound and sane reloading practices, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The DTAs have a very strong chamber design with triple locking lugs. It would take one hell of an overpressure to blow one up. Remember, they are using the same design all the way and up to 50 BMG. I have not heard of a single failure involving a DTA.

Nick mentioned at one point that he had a customer who blew up his rifle because he used pistol powder instead of Retumbo. The result wasn't a catastrophic .50BMG style explosion, but the bolt lugs sheered off sending the bolt back into the buttpad, which broke a few retaining teeth. As far as damage to the rifle, it was minimal and repairable and no injuries to the shooter.

That is good to know, and yes I have heard of others using pistol powder, and the manatee incident seems to have been caused by a round fired with the cleaning rod down the bore, which I can't blame the rifle for; again though I can't quite place all blame on the shooter knowing humans are likely to make at least one mistake every now and again. But, if a failure of this kind has occurred sans shooter injury, that definitely makes me feel a little more inclined to look deeper at the SRS. Can you elaborate on your experience with the system regarding accuracy, durability, and overall satisfaction with the rifle? They seem like a very wise investment; if changing calibers is as simple as swapping a barrel and the oal of the rifle is kept to a usable length then what's the drawback besides price? Im a utilitarian so in that view they seem very practical.

Can you elaborate on your experience with the system regarding accuracy, durability, and overall satisfaction with the rifle? They seem like a very wise investment; if changing calibers is as simple as swapping a barrel and the oal of the rifle is kept to a usable length then what's the drawback besides price?

I got one of the first rifles in late 2008 or early 2009 - can't remember specifically. The ergonomics were the first thing I noticed as being very favorable. It's so portable and handy to maneuver offhand and very comfortable to shoot in prone. But the out of the box accuracy was so impressive, I immediately started getting other conversion kits. Within a year it became my go-to bolt gun and my other traditional rifles just stayed locked away, so I eventually sold most of them. It's now going on several years now and I have the following conversions and more in the works:

6.5x47L 26"
6.5x47L 18"
.308WIN 16"
.338LM 18"
.338LM 26"
.338LM Imp 34"
12.7x48 18"

One platform, many rifles - just get the best optic you can and in the end you'll save money. I topped it with an S&B 5-25x when I first got it and that combo has held very very well over the years. The only thing I'm planning to change is to upgrade to a scope with more available elevation.

The best compliment I can give any rifle is: I wish I had this when I was in the Army

I had a customer put a 300WM into a 338LM chamber and touch it off. Shooter wasn't injured.

They seem pretty safe to me. If you'd like to talk about it sometime, just give me a ring!

Dogtown,

With your 338lm improved,,
A) what is the process for fire forming brass, is it as easy as firing a round?

B) What kind of velocity are you seeing with your 34" tube? Reason I ask is, I'm looking at a 30" Norma mag, and currently run a 25" lapua, do you think the extra 4" over 30" is worth it?

As far as accuracy, I have found it to be slightly more accurate than my TRG-22, which prior to buying the DTA, was the most accurate rile I have ever owned. It averages around 3/8" groups at 100 yds. That's not an occasional occurrence either. It does that consistently which puts it in the accuracy realm of the top custom built rifles. It's built like a tank, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be at least as durable as any other purpose built tactical rifle. My TRG actually feels somewhat delicate by comparison. I love the compactness (its almost a foot shorter than my TRG even though they both have 26" barrels) and the ability to change barrels on the fly. No need to send it out and wait weeks or even months to have it re-barreled. One platform for multiple calibers. Reasonable weight for a tactical rifle. With the right configuration, it even makes a great hunting rifle.

So far, this rifle has way exceeded my expectations which were pretty high considering the price. The only drawbacks I can think of are (a) getting used to the ergonomics. It took about 6 sessions with the rifle before I felt really comfortable behind it, but that is a very subjective issue, and (b) because the rifle is so much shorter than traditional designs, your face is much closer to the muzzle. So, if you are unfortunate like me and live in a state that doesn't allow suppressors, you will have to deal with a bit more muzzle blast.

All things considered, no regrets at all. If I had it do over again I would make the same decision. There is no other rifle I would rather have in it's place.

SRS7-26-14.jpg

Personally I think you either love or hate the platform, I bought one to try it out when they came out and I just didn't care for it. They are nice guns but they are not for everyone, if you could get behind one before you make the purchase, I would highly advise it.

I think you're worried about something that happens so rarely that its pretty unlikely to happen. Even if it does the chance of splitting the chamber on one of these is pretty low too. The barrel diameter at the chamber and for about 5 inches forward is 1.25". Larger than many of the other bolt guns out there and carried further forward. The bolt locks into the barrel extension via 6 lugs so its as strong as if not stronger than the remmies, savages, mausers and all the others. If you're shooting the largest round the rifle is capable of there is still a generous safety margin. I've been shooting mine for about 4 years now with 4 different cartridges- 6.5X47 lapua, .338BR, .338 Lapua Magnum and 12.7X48(a 510 whisper equivalent). The .338 LM is a hot round and yet I feel no concerns about the rifle blowing up in my face. In addition, if the bolt for some reason let go I'd be hit in the shoulder instead of the face with whatever blew down the receiver channel.
I suppose if you're afraid of bullpups than you'll probably never feel comfortable despite the tons of stats that say your as safe if not safer than most of the standards you're judging by.

Hope that helps some

Frank

I agree. Its a well engineered machine. Nick says it was designed around the 338 Lapua, which is a higher than average pressure round. Trust biffj he is a professional metal scientist.
I have tried all kinds of reloads with mine. No issues.

Dogtown,

With your 338lm improved,,
A) what is the process for fire forming brass, is it as easy as firing a round?

B) What kind of velocity are you seeing with your 34" tube? Reason I ask is, I'm looking at a 30" Norma mag, and currently run a 25" lapua, do you think the extra 4" over 30" is worth it?

I'll let you know when I get a chance as I only recently got the barrel. I have everything I need to form brass and make loads, but I lack the time now that I'm back in NZ and working long 6 day weeks. Based on my predictions, I'm expecting to get 300 Scenars to about 3100fps and the only reason I did this was to gain an edge in 2km competition. A 30" 338NM should be plenty good to a mile and further.

Hope that helps some

Frank

sorry I missed your comment earlier, this is some information I was looking for. It seems like the platform is in fact over built, which would mitigate risk of potentially blowing my face off, which was my major concern. The accuracy, based on supratt's post and many others experiences, doesn't seem to be in question. Seems like a good idea for a rifle platform and the nice ergonomics and overall length make this combo a worthwhile investment. Especially if I can shoot multiple calibers with a simple barrel swap.

I'll let you know when I get a chance as I only recently got the barrel. I have everything I need to form brass and make loads, but I lack the time now that I'm back in NZ and working long 6 day weeks. Based on my predictions, I'm expecting to get 300 Scenars to about 3100fps and the only reason I did this was to gain an edge in 2km competition. A 30" 338NM should be plenty good to a mile and further.

300 gr with a 7+ BC at 3100 fps! That will be ridiculous!!!

I shoot a 338 Lapua Improved with a 32" barrel.

300 grain Bergers with 104 grain Retumbo were 3150 fps. Just one shot with a cheap bullet will form the case perfectly.

sold my TRG's, FN and customs because all I shoot now is my DTA setups

by far my favorite rifle, I would sell everything in my safes before the DT

Yeah, basically I've been clobbered at 2km with a 26" barrel, so I'm aiming to maximize velocity without moving up to a larger platform. I've watched my day go from awesome at 1000m-1600m only to fall apart at 2km against guys with 32" barrels.

I sold my two custom built rigs because I didn't shoot them anymore. The SRS A1 is all I shoot now

I was not sure if this rifle platform was right for me until I was able to get my hands on a SRS the fit finish and attention to detail was all it took for me to purchase my rifle. I really like the ability to change calibers with this platform it is so easy to change barrels with minimal poi shift what is not to like. The first trip to the range for load development produced just under 1/2 moa I fired 10 5 round groups of 260 rem. 42gr h4350 139gr lapua scenar accuracy is not a problem. I guess the best way for you to see if this platform might be right for you would be to find your nearest dealer and go get your hands on one see it yourself and feel how the rifle fits. Mike

I love my DTI/DTA 338LM, 300 Win Mag and 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. I have no fears. This thin IS built like a tank. Tough as nails in every respect. If you're okay with a bullpup design and 6 round mag, life is good. I too would sell everything in the safe before this one.

egcv12.jpg

I have been shooting my SRS for over 3 years now. Have been a Premier Dealer for Desert Tech for 3+ years too. I was skeptical of them until I got behind one. After shooting one, I placed a qualifying dealer order and have been shooting one ever since. Most people that demo my SRS rifle and are in the market for a high end precision rig end up purchasing an SRS or Covert. I started shooting precision matches a few years ago and out of my rifles, I choose to compete with the SRS. It is much easier to move around barricades with, is significantly easier to shoot from an unsupported position and all the caliber conversions return back to their respective zeros.

Desert Tech put on their first Precision match this month. They know how to throw a match. Of the 28 or so shooters, I believe I counted 3 SRS/Covert rifles on the line. It just so happens that the match was won with a shooter using an SRS rifle. You may be thinking that Desert Tech brought in a ringer, but my wife and kids know this guy pretty well and they would tell you he is lucky if he can get out shooting a couple times a month.

Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link

My SRS has pushed a number of my rifles out of my safe. In fact, I just listed another one on the Hide because it has not been shot in a couple years. When I shoot long range, all I want to shoot is my SRS. The rifle is amazing.

I have yet to hear of a DTA rifle blowing up. The chamber area is incredibly stout and the bolt utilizes six lugs. Maybe Desert Tech can chime in on this concern of yours. Back when DTA was a smaller company, the owner of Desert Tech Nicholas Young (who is also the designer of the rifle) used to test fire each and every one of his rifles. I ran into him numerous times at the range. If there was any concern on the strength and design of the SRS, I would not expect to see its designer willingly test firing every one of the rifles his company produced.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the rifle system. I have a number of them in stock and just about every conversion that DTA makes. I also stock suppressors, optics, and most other shooting accessories that you could want and can put help you put together a complete package if you wish.

Last edited:
Any remedies for lefty shooters?

Best remedy is to find one to shoot and try it out. I shoot mine left handed quite frequently and have no issues at all. I like the idea of keeping the strong hand on the pistol grip and operating the bolt with the off hand. You do have to move your head to run the bolt but its still doable. I've let quite a few lefties try my rifle and all but a couple found it wasn't as bad as expected and few of them ended up with SRS rifles. A couple of guys were dyed in the wool left handers and couldn't use a right handed bolt......give it as shot and see how you do. I demo my rifle frequently for those who are undecided and I'm sure someone near you would love to show his off.

Frank

Guys,
We have people make comments that they are worried about shooting bull pups all the time. If built properly then they are safer than traditional rifles. We had a customer accidentally load 96 grains of pistol powder in his 338LM a few years back, the powder company did an analysis and estimated he experienced something around a 200,000 PSI blast. The blast Sheared all six lugs and the bolt flew backward through the bolt channel and lodged into the buttpad plate. The force expanded the barrel (the barrel did not split, the barrel extension did not shear) and the expanded barrel diameter split the receiver into two halves, he flew ten feet from the rifle and the concussion knocked the shooter unconscious, when he woke up he suffered minor cuts and bruises and a fractured nasal cavity. He bought another SRS the next week and said that it had saved his life.

Most people don't understand that a traditional gun would have had the bolt fly back into his skull and most definitely killed him. With traditional guns your face is right behind the most likely point of failure. With our rifles your face is above that point and protected by a lot of aircraft grade aluminum. In our bull-pup your shoulder is in line with the bolt, but even in the sever failure above then the buttpad protected the shooters shoulder from any injury.

Last edited:
Nick - Thanks for sharing that experience with the rest of us. I have never worried about getting behind my SRS.

Of course if you are the type of individual that loads extra hot way past max load, I will not feel safe shooting next to you no matter what you are shooting. I have learned from experience that if someone on the line says they have some extra hot loads for their rifle, I will move far far away. There was a guy at my local range a few years ago show up and told a couple people he had some new "Hot" loads to try out. His lever action rifle blew up along with igniting all of the rounds in the tubular magazine. The gun was in hundreds of pieces, the shooter was conscious but in total shock, and the his hand was pretty messed up.

I have never felt unsafe about getting behind my SRS (which is my most used bolt gun). The thing is over built and is one sweet rifle to shoot.

Last edited: