• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dual Sport/Enduro Motorcycle-Need Advice

JimT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2004
Sterling, AK
I have long had the desire for a dual sport/enduro style bike. I figure it is about time to scratch it off the bucket list. I need some input on make/model. Things to consider:

I am a complete beginner
6'4" 250 lbs
Looking for a used bike...no sense buying new as I haven't a clue about this subject

The Yamaha XT250 is out.....too small, which is unfortunate, because a good friend is the local Yammy dealer. I have been told the Honda 650 is really underpowered for its displacement. I do not have any brand loyalties.

Jim

Have you given any consideration to ATVs? With your current inexperience, it wouldn't be that hard on you. I'm also taking into account your location too, and the potential utility a ATV could provide for you.

As far as choices for bikes, consider some of the Kawasakis, or the Suzukis. Also, most bikes can be adjusted to suit your height, and weight. Consider some aftermarket dealers, as an example the Dennis Kirk company, if you can't find anything from the OEM that will work for you. I like how the Yamaha has some models with turn signals installed for those localities that require it for bikes that use the road.

Best of luck to you.

Find a Honda XR650 - XR, not the XL, that's been converted to street legal (or if you're so inclined, do that part yourself - look at Baja Designs for the parts). You're in AK - you'll want the off-road capability, with the option of jumping on the road. It's a big bike; it'll fit you fine. I'm about your size and had one for several years before a messed up neck stopped my off-roading.

You're new at this - getting a solid used bike makes sense (you're going to drop it and scratch it up off-roading). Trust me, it's got plenty of power, but an unmodified one has a smooth power band. It's nicknamed the big red pig, but a stock one will do 90 and handle ANY terrain. These were the Baja 1000 favorite for years... The 450's have replaced them, but I think you'll feel that they're too small (I had one of those too - fun & fast). The 450's are more finicky, and require lots more maintenance. They don't make the XR650 any more, but they're plentiful - and they're nearly impossible to destroy. Once you get used to it and feel the need for speed, you can open them up and make them fly.

Compared to an XR, the XL650 is detuned and heavier. The advantage the XL has is it's air cooled (one less thing to go wrong). Not a bad bike, but with its extra weight, detuned state and older technology, I agree that it's underpowered for its size. It too can be opened up, but less potential than an XR.

Not sure how much you're looking to spend but few compare to a KTM. They're a bit pricey but they already have all the high speed aftermarket goodies installed from the factory (WP suspension, Brembo brakes, DID Dirt Star wheels, multi-position Renthal bars, etc). The Honda was actually on my short list but by the time you add all the gofast goodies I'd have been knee-deep into it for 10K anyway, and I'd be unlikely to get near the horsepower out of it I wanted. This freak show makes almost 70 HP at a mere 300 lbs with a top speed of 105...crazy for a dirt bike. This is a work in progress and I've got some more paint work done since these pics were taken...

My Apocalypse project...
2013 KTM 690 Enduro-R
Colt coyote Cerakote on the panels and I painted the chassis
Dirt candy

745-apocalypse.jpg

748-935860-279999885474958-1019813549-n.jpg

735-p3300095.jpg

This was prior to the paint and Cerakote...

728-p3300086.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned a KLR 650, a 650 V Strom (WEESTROM), Tiger 800, and currently on a 2013Triumph Tiger Explorer . My advice is to get the KLR 650 used, 2007 or later for $2-3k ride it, learn on it, drop it, beat it, sell it and get what you think you will want.If you get a used bike put a couple tanks of gas with SEAFOAM through it as most people that sell used bikes let them sit a while and the gas system gets lacquered up a bit, Seafoam will clean the system well. I ride between 25 and 35 k miles per year between my 3 bikes, feel free to PM me with any questions.

I see you are in Soldatna, I had to get some emergency repairs at the Harley dealer there a few years ago, ran that Hoka Hey Race to Homer from here in Fla. From what I remember there are tonsof KLR's and BMW800's plying the roads there, you might just get one of those those two bikes.

I strongly urge you to take the safety course and to be careful riding those roads up there after the winter, me and the Harley Ultra went airborne about 20 times on the ALCAN, never crashed though,just broke a lot ofd little stuff and my shocks. Its beautiful up there, will be riding up to Homer again next July.

My current stable

Attachments

• DSCN3185.jpg
    DSCN3185.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3232.jpg
    DSCN3232.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2751.jpg
    DSCN2751.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've read the DR650 (suzuki) is a little superior to the KLR in terms of being a better blend of on/off road. I've never been on a DR before, but when I get back into bikes, that is likely where I'll start.

One bit of advice I haven't seen...

Dual sport/Adventure bikes are really popular right now and I'm assuming you want one because you want dirt capability. If your idea of "dirt" is the occasional foray down a dirt road you can pretty much do that on a freakin' chopper or sport bike. Point being is that if you want a dirt bike or enduro as you've stated, find one that makes most of its compromises on the street. It's far too easy to dress up a street bike, call it a dual sport, and what you end up with is a poor excuse for a dirt bike. The whole idea of an enduro is to have a dirt bike that is street legal and doesn't have to be trailered. I've made this mistake before and regretted it. Not saying anything bad about these bikes that I'd call too much of a compromise...just sayin' that you need to identify your needs. My preference is a hard core dirt bike that's street legal. Yours may be quite different.

Having ridden a few 'Super Motards', and quite a few dirt bikes, I LOVE a good SM bike. If dirt roads are the way to go, tires make the difference but don;t allow all out on the street. IRC radials DO kick butt on the tarmac and don't do too badly on dirt roads where hoonin around is a premium bit of sport.
The current ones I drool after is this:

The Enduro 630R, with 17's and road racy tires of course

690_Enduro_R_90Grad_04.jpg

and

The 990 Adventure Baja, but less aggressive IRC radials

3358c63898.jpg

Either one can be further oriented to street or dirty work with the right tires. Me, I go for more streetable tires since off orad isn;t a huge concern, but having a extra set of wheels stoked with an aggressive set of off road tires would be a good thing for SHTF day.

The old KLR650, stripped down for a ad hoc super moto was a kick in the ass. When I say stripped, I mean stripped of anything not required for going fast and distance, 17 and 21 inch Metzlers, and a whole lot of fun on a twisty road. The KLR was a rocket when regeared and different sprockets were used too.

The Suzuki DR650 when set up right was almost as good as the KLR...not quite.

Of course if I could find one, I would probably trade off the Sporty for this one and never look back, the Buell Lightning Super TT

2008-buell-lightning-supe-2_600x0w.jpg

Good advice would be to buy a used Japanese 650 to learn on. They're pussycats. Pick a color: Honda Red, Kawasaki Green or Suzuki Yellow.

That Said: I recently sold my bike of 3-years. A dirt-bike that went about 115-mph!
It has the Strongest (most HP) single cylinder bike engine available. I found the power very manageable as well.

008214_2008_KTM_Duke.jpg

The KTM 690 SMC has it's quirks but, as KTM says: Ready to Race. I found that statement True!

AnschutzNerd

Last edited:
Have a Suzuki DRZ400 S with a set of cams, an Two Brothers full pipe and it would do a buck 25 on the road. I since put street legal nobbies on it and it is a great bike and 100% reliable. Great starter bike as well as a long term ride.

Also have a WR426 with cams but it has always been a chore to start. My KTM 520 rocks but it is not a good bike to start out on.

if I had to have only one it would be the DZR.

The 650's are nice but they are super heavy off road but are nicer on the longer road rides. Up in the deep woods/trails here in the northwest I would not want to take a 650 up here.

My two cents

I bleed Honda red, but I ended up with a Drz400 instead. Lighter than the 650's with most of the hp. A friend bought a Dr650 also, and everywhere but flat out top end I had him. Long range comfort was a bit low though.

That KTM is a bit tall. And they do run a bit heavy. I can't use 150hp on the street, never mind in the dirt.

OP, it's just like with rifles: You don't need power that you can't use effectively.

There's nothing wrong with a Suzuki 400 or a Kawasaki KLR for the real world, and there's nothing wrong with a 550 Aprilia on the track.

Get a Suzuki DRZ400 and send some money to Sisneros Speedworks, he does 450 big bore kits that make around 60HP. Plenty of DRZ400 available. 2nd pick would be a Kawasaki KLR650. If your leaning to do more street riding, ArmyJerry's suggestion of the Suzuki VStrom 650 and a Safety rider class is spot on in my opinion. Being 6'4 all the bikes are going to feel small except maybe THE BIG TRAILIES from BMW R1200GS, KTM 990 Adventure R, Triumph Tiger's 800/1200 and the Honda XR/XL. Checkout "Thumper Talk" forum, some good guys in the know over there. Good Luck and wear a helmet and riding gear.

Jim,
There is tons to learn about the dual sport adventure bike deleo but my experience is with a BMW F650 non fuel injected model and it has been great for me. Some depends on how much you are going to ride off the pavement and what type of "off road" your talking about. I do ride every year for fellow dual sporters and we generally are using forest service roads and the like. Some of the guys the more adventurist types do go off onto some more technical trails but that's when we have left all the gear at the base camp allowing to lighten the load. If your inclined to camp overnight and carry gear this should be considered because the smaller displacement bikes like the 250's and such with your weight (like mine) will be more challenging to haul your gear with. Budget is of course of interest because you can easily spend 5,6,7 grand and on for a used dual sport but also you can spend far less. With your hight almost anything will probably require some adjustment including but not limited to a taller seat and repositioning your foot pegs but then again that does depend on how serious you get about riding and longer periods of time on the bike. I would suggest as a beginner buy a book called "Proficient Motorcycling" it's a great lot of information regarding riding on the street then take a safety class. I also suggest buying good quality protective gear and this can amount to a bunch of dough as well. A couple of links below. Feel free to contact with a PM if I can help.
Bill
Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (0731360405364): David L. Hough: Books

F650.com Home

and here is another way to carry gear on smaller bikes
moto-mule a trailer you pull with your dual sport motorcycle

DRZ 400 is my preferance for the perfect blend of on/off road. Way better suspension than the 650 for offroad + water cooled and more ground clearance. Unless you are doing a lot of interstate riding. Being lighter, they tend to get blown around a bit more than the heavier 650's and get a little buzzy at interstate speeds. But in turn the 650's are heavy and can be a chore offroad with mushy suspension. There is huge aftermarket support for the DRZ 400 as well and they make good power.

I think Japo bikes are very reasonable. I see several KTM being promoted. So I'll throw one at you. Dual sport look at BMW. Used is cheaper than new. BMW bikes hold onto value better than some Japo bikes and are very good performers.

I forgot about the BMW's. fantastic bikes, and they are well known for their rock solid reliability. Want to read a story about just how reliable they are? Check out 'Ghost Rider: Travels on a healing Road', an autobiography from Niel Peart(Rush). The initial part of the story is a bit of a downer, but the travels on the reliable BMW are a very good look into what these bikes are capable of

I've had a F650GS BMW, Suzuki DR350, Kawa KLR650 and now I ride a Suzuki DL650 (ie vstrom). The BMW was one of the first EFI 650 singles, avoid that POS at all costs. The DR350 was the air cooled predecessor to the DR400, really liked that one off road because it was very small/light for a dual sport. The KLR I loved, loved, loved. Did all my own work, pumped it out like a kid with an AR, put 42k miles on it before it was taken from us in a tragic touring accident.

DL650 ABS is a great street bike, scares me off road. That's OK though I don't ride dirt anymore. If I did, KLR650 would be my bike of choice.

Just depends on your budget and desires.

Yamaha 490, XRHonda's hold up the best and you won't out grow them. I heard KTM has it's issues. BMW is a heavy pig, stay light as possible with the dirt side.
I use to ride 600's all the time, I'm 6'03" @300, I'll be looking at the Yamaha.
BTW, Kawi and Suzi's were pure crap compared to the Yami's and Hondas.
The engines and suspension on the Hondas and Yamahas are leaps and bounds over the Kaw and Suzuki.

To the OP

If you want a bike that is street legal but can go down fire roads, rocky/dirt roads, and the less technical trails then go for a Kawasaki KLR 650 07' or older. These bikes are cheap on craigslist and a great "gateway drug" for getting into dual sport bikes. You'll be able to beat it up, learn about what works for you and what you really want in a bike. After you tear it up you can move in a direction that suits you whether that's more towards a dirt bike or more towards a street bike. Don't blow lots of money on your first bike. You can purchase a KLR 650 for 2-3k.

The KTMs and BMWs people are posting are fantastic bikes but not what I would buy for my first bike being that they are so expensive and you'll be learning a lot of lessons, some easy and some the hard way.

I'm currently on a trip from AZ-WA and back, here's a few pics of my KLR with 80-20 tires.

Attachments

• 9215809929_018aed681d_h.jpg
    9215809929_018aed681d_h.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 9218154536_ef423013fc_h.jpg
    9218154536_ef423013fc_h.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Another one for the KLR650. The simplicity of a platform that was consistent from 1987 to 2007 is nice. Makes for an inexpensive purchase on the front side, and makes for a nice opportunity to gain from a slew of modifications, or farkles, done by many owners over a long period of time. Take it around the world, and one can probably cobble it into functioning or maybe even order Kawasaki parts. Try that with a fuel injected bike with cartridge forks and other mechanical and electronic upgrades.

From Kawasaki, the spring rates in the suspension can be on the soft side, but that can be changed as you grow into it...and grow into how you ride it, be it more on road or more off road.

And, on the other side too, if it does fail completely in some far away place...it doesn't hurt so bad if you just have to walk away.

1911fan use to have KLR 650 - went to KTM Adventure - and now loves his BMW 650 dual / he's been around bikes all his life

I did not realize that Yamaha made a WR450, which is a nice sized bike. Any feedback on it? Getting it plated might be a challenge. Couple of guys at work have the Suzuki, which they really like. Decisions, decisions.

Couple of guys at work have the Suzuki, which they really like.
Which one? DR, DL, DRZ?

I did not realize that Yamaha made a WR450, which is a nice sized bike. Any feedback on it? Getting it plated might be a challenge.
Yeah, might be a challenge. Never done that myself, but I know things like that can be done.

The WR is based of the YZ series. So, it is a motocross bike with a wide ratio trans and some lighting. Not sure exactly what you're looking to do, but it might not have much of a charging system to run the lights, let alone GPS and other items, like heated clothing and such. And adding accessories like racks and other items would be custom. Also, no provision for a passenger. How far do you want to ride? Fuel capacity is probably half of what some street based dual sports would have. Yeah, the WR would be pretty powerful in comparison to some other rides, but that's going to further reduce capacity.

So, just like choosing a rifle, maybe the question needs to go back to you... What exactly are you looking do with the bike?

1911fan use to have KLR 650 - went to KTM Adventure - and now loves his BMW 650 dual / he's been around bikes all his life

Yeah, all true. The KLR650 is carbed, easy to work on, heavy, and underpowered. Cheap, widely available, and spares aren't expensive. If you get one, there are a few performance mods to the engine- damn few. Definitely replace the doohickey (you'll see what I mean). Don't buy into the big bore kits, IMHO. Spend the money on suspension. Check out klr650.com for tons of info.
My 990 Adventure was an incredible machine, but NOT a learner bike. I'd look at the 690 if there's a dealer close by. Any KTM is indeed 'ready to race'. Maintenance intensive and parts are expensive. My oil change cost $125 for parts if I did it myself, and the two gas tanks are around $700 each if you break them.
I'm currently riding a 2002 BMW F650 Dakar, the higher suspension version of the F650. Water cooled Rotax engine, should be good for 100,000 miles. Yup, heavy, but stone reliable and lots of info and parts available online. I've taken it places I shouldn't and just ran home on the highway at 70-75mph.
Honda 650s are good, but as noted above a plated 600R is better than the XL version.
Suzuki DRs are good bikes, don't have a lot of experience with them but have friends who like them.

Best advice I've seen above is buy an inexpensive 650 of some sort, ride it for a season or three, and get your next bike based on experience with the first one. Leave the bike alone until you've ridden it at least one season, with the exception of protective gear like engine and tank guards. Speaking of gear, get yourself the best, Klim is great $tuff. Wear it. You're on a learning curve that will be painful without it.

Websites: klr650.com, advrider.com, f650.com and so on. I'm sure there are lots more. PM me for anything you think of.

1911fan

I'm currently riding a 2002 BMW F650 Dakar, the higher suspension version of the F650. Water cooled Rotax engine, should be good for 100,000 miles. Yup, heavy, but stone reliable and lots of info and parts available online. I've taken it places I shouldn't and just ran home on the highway at 70-75mph.
That would be my choice.

I had a 2005 Suzuki DR650, and it was a Great bike. 50MPG, easy off road as long as you didn't try to motoX it. Decent power for both street and dirt. If I lived in an area where regular motorcycles are hard to plate, IE make street legal, I would go for the DRZ400s, and add mods as needed. If I lived in a 'liberal' state when it comes to 'cycles being street legal, I would grab a XR650R, and again add mods. The XR650R is the perfect offroad machine for long distance, but the XR650L is a dog on a bad day, they are not even cousins. I have never owned a KLR, but from researching them I would never want one, especially the new ones with the goofy fairing. YMMV, but IMO the only good dual sport is a Dirt bike that is street legal, IE a plated XR650R. Otherwise it's a underpowered street bike with off road tyres.

The BMW may be another machine, and I never rode one, but I cannot imagine that they are more maneuverable than an XR650R, and when you are offroad that is the most important feature. 350+ lbs. gets tiresome after about 25miles offroad. Plus the XRRs are easy to maintain with simple knowledge and tools, where as the BMW may be more finicky in regards to 'service'. At 6'4" and 250lbs, I would say the XRR would suit you fine, as they are sized for 'larger' guys. If I wanted more than the XRR, and had the money, then the choice is easy, spend twice the money and get a KTM. Not the 990 though, as that is a GIANT turd. 500EXC and plate the bitch, and revel in a modern, psycho dirt bitch that is street accepted.

Last edited:
I've been looking at dual sports myself lately. Creeping up on 30 has me wanting to be back on two wheels but I will never own another sport bike and I hate big twins. I've been looking at the Yamaha WR250, close to what I used to race MX on but can still be ridden on the street. But my main criteria when looking at one has been how much fun I can have with it off pavement. I want something light, 150hp KTMs don't mean dick to me as they are way too heavy. My main objective is fun.

Truth be told, I really want a BMW f800gs...however, I don't see myself dropping dang near 14 grand on a bike any time soon, especially when a klr/dr 650 is half that brand new, and probably a quarter that price lightly used.

Hurry Up and learn.

This bike hits US shores in 2014. It's a 150-hp dirt bike. Can't wait for a test ride!

2013-ktm-1190-adventure-bikes-look-awesome-in-official-pictures-photo-gallery_31.jpg

KTM 1190 Adv. R

2013-ktm-68928-1190adventure-r-persp-left-front_product_preview_medium.jpg

Badass plain and simple. Isnt the new 1190R like 17k though? Thats $$$$$! I used to have a 2008 530excr that was awesome, I sure do miss it. Nothing really touches KTM in the enduro/adventure category though.

spend twice the money and get a KTM. Not the 990 though, as that is a GIANT turd. 500EXC and plate the bitch, and revel in a modern, psycho dirt bitch that is street accepted.

You dont know what you are talking about sorry. The 990 depending on year produces somewhere in the ball park of 115HP and the torque is AMAZING, its a v-twin! I have seen guys that are good riders do amazing things with that huge bike, you have to have the skill though. These bikes are perfect long distance adventure bikes just browse the ride reports on advrider.com. The 500exc would be nice but is 10k starting.

Truth be told, I really want a BMW f800gs...however, I don't see myself dropping dang near 14 grand on a bike any time soon, especially when a klr/dr 650 is half that brand new, and probably a quarter that price lightly used.

I really wanted a BMW F800gs last year. I went to the local dealer with my check book and planned to write the check after the test ride. That day the temperature was about 110 Fahrenheit. I took the F800gs for a 15-20 mile ride on back-roads and highway. The experience made me sad that I sold my KTM 690smc!! The f800gs was a dog and felt like a tractor compared to my former KTM. I also found the heat unbearable! My left thigh was being roasted by heat. I had every intention of buying that bike before the test ride.

Bummed. I then took the BMW 1200gs (Non-Adv) for a ride. It looks considerably bigger but, it did not feel that way. The 1200 was the better package, no question but, still felt like a tractor to me compared to the KTM 690. The 1200gs is a bit bigger than I was looking for and I can not, Ever, envision wanting to ride that bike with knobbies.

I was defeated after my BMW experience and swung by the Triumph dealer that same day as they had their 800 Adventure bike prepped for me to take a test ride. The Triumph 800 has a proper motorcycle engine! The rest of the bike is unrefined with lots of easy to shatter plastic and a uni-frame I do not like. I will crash! That Triumph dealer and local dealer network did not impress me last year.

I really wish KTM would make a 900 v-twin with 100-hp that weighs in right at 400-lbs. There were rumors of such a beast and KTM dropped the program to concentrate on the 1190 Adventure.

Any street legal dual sport worthy of a little pavement weighs 260+ pounds. Race bikes require oil changes every 200 to 300-mi.
KTM 690 has 65 to 70-hp and can weigh 300-lbs without fuel. 3000-mi oil changes. It will spank a Japanese 650 in terms of power! Low end torque is equal.
KTM 1190 has 150-hp and weighs 500-lbs. It weighs less than the BMW equivalent and has more horsepower.

A year without a bike. It's been a long year. The rest of the world has been taking the KTM 1190 home with them since the Spring. North America will have to wait for the 2014 model.

I've had the bike that was good for running to the bar. Now I want a bike good for running to the border. A 500exc that requires oil changes every 200-300 miles sucks for that! The 690 with 3000-mi oil changes was no fun on the highway after 100-miles.

Money... I thought we all had a half dozen $7000 rifle / optic combos that we use once a week on a good week??

To the OP. Get a Jap 650 yet?

AN

Last edited:
Money.... My KTM 990 was $15K well spent. Yup, it was a big bike, and heavy, but I could run Forest Service gravel roads at 70mph, and did. There was one section near my house I always tried to break 100mph on. (Sugarloaf through Maverick Saddle, for you locals.) I ran singletrack with it, and one year got turned around on the Dirtyface ride and rode that bitch up the expert downhill. Yes, I was running full knobbies. It topped out at 136 indicated after I changed the gearing. Initially, it's happy spot in sixth on the highway was just under 80mph.
Beginner bike? No. Nor is the new 1190 version. A good rider can make 'er stand up and do tricks, but the penalty for misjudging your abilities is painful and expensive.
OP, now would be a good time to decide if you want to ride primarily gravel roads or run singletrack. The big 650s, with maybe the exception of the plated XR600, are not the best choice for that. Smaller, lighter bikes win here. If your main purpose is travel and exploring unpaved roads, the 650s are great for that. Little bigger, usually longer range, and more comfortable for longer periods of time, IMHO.

Have you pulled the trigger on anything yet?

1911fan

Hate to say it, but 1911fan speaks the truth so it'd be wise to heed his advice. I'm a diehard KTM guy, having had an older 400LC4 and my current 450exc both of which I use as commuters and serious singletrack bikes. The 450s are a really good dual purpose bike if you're going to ride more dirt than street and the 650s and up are better if you're going to ride more street than dirt. Either way, if you want the best to start with go out and buy a KTM, otherwise pick your favorite color as they're all about the same.

You dont know what you are talking about sorry. The 990 depending on year produces somewhere in the ball park of 115HP and the torque is AMAZING, its a v-twin! I have seen guys that are good riders do amazing things with that huge bike, you have to have the skill though. These bikes are perfect long distance adventure bikes just browse the ride reports on advrider.com. The 500exc would be nice but is 10k starting.

Why apologize when really are you the one missing...? I've been to advrider.com, but I still would not reccomend a 990 to ANYONE short of Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, or James Stewart, unless 'service roads' are you idea of 'going off road'. It is a 500 lb. PIG in the dirt. Sure, a fucking corolla can travel service roads, but in the deep, tight, and heavy shit, no thanks. Especially when I can have a bike like a Jap 650 weighing 150lbs less with minor mods for one third the money. Let alone a 500EXC weighing HALF what a 990 does, and cheaper still. But WTF do I know, maybe you are the next Jeremy McGrath out riding a 990...and if so, go you.

I started with a KLR650 and i had it for a year and loved it. It was my first bike then I upgraded to a DL1000 the vstrom I have been 9000 miles this summer on the bike all over the western US and down to BAJA it has been a great time and cant wait to put more miles on it!!!

Ive ridden dirtbikes for 25years out of 30 and lived in alaska for a very short 4 months. My vote is honda xr 650 or 600 if you can kick start the xr600(aircooled) i'd go for it. An xr600 will be the dirt bike the cock roaches ride. Or a klr 650 or dr650 or a ktm 625/640 (the ones with the lc4 motor). Basically any old school thumper, meaning any of the generation pre 450cc maintence pits.

New 2004-now 450-550cc 4t's require constant oil changes(5hrs), valve check/adjust(10hrs,) top ends (250hrs), bottom ends (500hrs), and random bearings (randomly). Not good when in alaska and want parts some time this week.

Old school thumpers xr,klr,dr, ktm lc4's- add gas, change oil at reasonable intervals. And go.

Just get an aftermarket gas tank that will take you however far you want to go plus 100miles since stations in AK are so prevalent.

You can probably find an older thumper for $1000-3500 in the states.

I have ridden pigs and lightweight motos through quite a few hare and hound races. The fastest bike was the 250, and the slowest for me, although it was hellasciously fast on a dirt oval was my uncle's XR750TT...that thing was, and still was in 2006 a freakin BEAST(a harley davidson thoroughbred race bike). The Bultaco wasn't much better.
I took the KLR with it's knobbies onto to a really stiff tail once, ONCE. It wasn't the fact it was big or anything, it was lacking power! I woulda gave a left nut for a 900 right about then! Of course the more time you have riding on shitty bikes in shitty places, the more experience you will have to handle whatever you put between your legs. Do I NEED that Buell XBLTT? No. Do I WANT IT! HELL YEAH! Imagine 115hp of V-Twin torque in a nice 8.5" travel suspension and a killer set of IRC's. It would terrorrize fire roads, any dirt road, adn on teh street would still be one mean hoonigan bike. want some fun that will pucker your ass so tight you pull foam out of it for a week? Ride a 110hp Sporty cafe racer through teh snow on roads that haven't been plowed yet. Makes dirt look like kids play!

Why apologize when really are you the one missing...? I've been to advrider.com, but I still would not reccomend a 990 to ANYONE short of Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, or James Stewart, unless 'service roads' are you idea of 'going off road'. It is a 500 lb. PIG in the dirt. Sure, a fucking corolla can travel service roads, but in the deep, tight, and heavy shit, no thanks. Especially when I can have a bike like a Jap 650 weighing 150lbs less with minor mods for one third the money. Let alone a 500EXC weighing HALF what a 990 does, and cheaper still. But WTF do I know, maybe you are the next Jeremy McGrath out riding a 990...and if so, go you.

I am not missing the question...I wouldnt recommend the 990 to any one off road but a seasoned rider. But to say it is a pig is just false. I also wouldnt recommend buying a brand new 990 or the newer equivalent.

I have ridden a klx 650 and its a little heavy for the trails if you plan to play in the dirt. If not, I own a '13 ninja 650 that is everything I could ask and more. It does have balls, but it is an awesome starter bike. It is a sport touring bike so its quick but you arent bent over. I am 6'2" 280 and it will push me 120+ in as fast as I can shift. Check it out before you drop the coin. If you are pounding pavement, you wont be disappointed.

I have long had the desire for a dual sport/enduro style bike.
The Yamaha XT250 is out.....

Jim

You will not regret having one! That one above that hits US shores - a buddy of mine in Italy has one and just got back from a 5 day road trip around Europe.

For me it's more local, I had an XT250 twice now and want another!!

I'm into old stuff, prefer to restore...

(and if anyone knows where an 80-83 can be found I'm game!)

DSC00637.JPG

Wild strawberries on the hill!
DSC00624.JPG

DSC00632.JPG

day5arcticcircle2_zpsba98f648.jpg

Let me put in a plug for some of the older Airhead BMW's... particularly the 1990's Dakar's. Not truly dirt bikes... but very versatile if somewhat heavy. This is my rig last spring at the Arctic Circle... with several hundred more miles to go to reach Nordkapp, Norway. Then on to Kirkenes on the Russian border and back to Germany through Sweden and Finland...

These bikes can be purchased reasonably inexpensively... and if they are low mileage (anything under 30K is low miles) with good service records, you can't do any better. Best part is that they have NO computers... ABS... electronics... everything is analog. You can fix it with an onboard tool kit anywhere in the world. A couple of carb rebuild kits, some tubes and some basic supplies and it WILL get you home. 10 gallon tank has more range than you can ever use. And if you do the kitting out yourself with boxes, etc. you can get a nice bike for short $$. I added a plug for a heated vest (in the picture, it was 35 degrees... lots of layers) and added several cigarette lighter plugs for GPS and charging computer and Phone. With stock bags (plastic) you can take them off and the bike is pretty maneuverable and does great for trail riding. Add aluminum bags and... not so much.

Again... service records are important. Get one that was maintained... loved. As soon as you get it, take it to a specialist (some BMW dealers won't work on any of the older bikes any more... but there are specialists.) Spend some $$ getting it to spec. when you first get it and then ride the heck out of it. Mine did 5,000 miles in Scandinavia last spring. Never missed a beat. Only problem was the odometer quit working, which was a PITA for tracking gas fillups. But I just filled up daily and it was fine. Love that $8 a gallon Norwegian gas...

This book may be helpful, though lots of it is product advertising. Building the Ultimate Adventure Motorcycle: The Essential Guide to Preparing a Bike for the Journey of a Lifetime: Robert Wicks: 9781844258369: Amazon.com: Books

Also a plug for XT Yamahas. I had one as a kid and it was a great bike. I don't remember mine as small... but I was a kid. It was a 1981... it was fairly large. But you would not want to go cross-country on one. But I bet it's been done more times than can be counted... XT's being so common and so reliable.

Up to my eyeballs in Masters Degree for the rest of this year, so no big MC trips. But next year, back to Europe and planning on following the route of the Band of Brothers from Normandy to the Eagles Nest. Then ship bike home... or to New Zealand. It costs about the same. Decisions... decisions.

Cheers,

Sirhr