• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater "Dual Survival" on Discovery

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I just saw this show yesterday and it was fairly entertaining. They take a red blooded Army vet survival expert and pair him up with a hippie, New Age survival expert. It's kind of like Man vs Wild, but I find the two personalities much more engaging than Bear Grylls.

The hippie only wears shorts and has been going without shoes for over twenty years. In Nova Scotia, he just put on some wool socks but refused footwear. It's hilarious seeing the Army guy react to the hippie's methods. That's definitely one of the big draws of the show.

Anyway, you should check it out if it's on and you like the survival shows.

Re: "Dual Survival" on Discovery

I have watched two of the shows so far and I find the vast differences in skill sets between the two interesting. What suprised me was the nature guy did very well in shorts and sock on the snow packed mountains but he got his ass ate up in the jungle due to lack of protection on his legs. The vet has my vote on eating in the bush,"I want meat from four legged animals and I want it cooked"

I've met and spend some time with Dave Canterbury (Aka Pathfinder) last year during a yearly meeting of people instructing survival skills and met Cody briefly.

Dave is a great guy.

I think the red blooded army type vs the hippie is just regular "reality show" bullshit and something that "had to be done" for the show. Somehow there "has to be" a conflict of personality it seems...

In reality, I'm completely sure Dave and Cody have A LOT of respect for each others and their own skills with very few... if none...personality "drama".

I don't know of any "survival/Self-reliance/Preparedness" instructor who does not have his own approach to the subject. It is a vast subject open to many "Styles" of experiencing and teaching it based on your background or the environment your live in.

Cody is far from a "Hippie, New Age" type of guy and is in reality a true expert in primitive skills. He is also a master survivalist in his environment - the Arizona Desert.

The interesting part of the show, if you leave behind the usual human personality drama which was probably required for the reality show, is the difference of style and approach of both people. They complement each others nicely.

I wish Dave and Cody a lot of success. It's a good show!

This reminds me of the Clan of the Cave bear series on a slightly advanced level.

I'm just upset it doesn't offer the same action as a wooly rhinoceros hunter ambush...and there is no half-naked Ayla.

My approach definitely mimics Dave's when it comes to survival styles, so seeing Cody's methods and philosophy is a valuable tool for me to be more creative in approaching how I think about survival problems. And hey, I've got to give Cody a lot of credit for being able to handle Nova Scotia and the New Zealand glacier in stocking feet and shorts. No one can call him a wimp by any stretch.

It's a pretty good show. I'll definitely keep watching.

On Dave Canterbury's youtube channel he said that that was the fact, that Discovery wanted tension between the two characters, he and Cody, as one of the thrusts behind the series. Me, that internal tension crap just irritates me, but I do enjoy Dave Canterbury's videos and Dual Survival, even though Cody is such a yutz.

I enjoyed the show and thought it was good, but my favorite was Les Stroud and Survivorman. That guy was out there 7-days on his own with his own camera.

It's funny you bring up "Survivorman". Les Stroud put on a great show. Check out Discovery's website because he's doing a new show called "Beyond Survival" where he goes to live with native peoples to learn their survival techniques firsthand. Les Stroud is looking to become the Tony Bourdain of the survival world, and I wish him well.

I find it amusing that nobody has mentioned how greatly exaggerated Dave's credentials are. In fact, he was banned from several survivalist forums when people found out he lied about some of his military records. I'm on a phone right now and can't provide you links but a quick google will find you much info about it. Something about how he was not actually a scout but rather an MP. The info is out there, look it up.

I'm not saying he's isn't knowledgeable, just that you should not take the man at face value.

Just looked up his bio. That is a majorly vague bio. That Myke Hawke dude has a more in depth bio than that.

Him having been an MP, the SRT thing now makes more sense.

Dunno why people feel that they have to church up their creds. In a lot of ways, having a non-tabbed-cool-guy-ninja-secret-whatever guy show this stuff would be better for the viewer as they can truly envision themselves as an everyman versus "well, this dude was XXXXXX in the Army so he has magical esoteric powers" or whatever it is that people think.

Here is a thread detailing things.

I have no idea why he would have claimed to be a 19D, though I cannot at this time find him stating that specifically. While Cavalry Scouts are Scouts, Infantry units have "Scouts", Rangers have their Recon element which I'm assuming is often referred to as the Scouts though I have no experience that draw that conclusion.

If he indeed claimed he was a Scout, well, that's just stupid and insulting.

#1- that would qualify him for fucking diddly on "survival". We never got any survival training outside the scope of our mission. If you had a map and a radio- that was your survival. Get the grunts and tanks up there to kill the shit around you. If there is enemy around and your radio works- you're not surviving, you're just CM with no supplies haha. I never once in my 6 years received anything close to true survival training. This is different in light/airborne units for 19D's to a slight slight degree but not much more. If they receive a school that like it is the exception not the norm. ALL of my survival training in the Army was impromptu stuff with our good ole boy members of our platoon, and growing up with my dad learning about how edible various parts of a pine tree are, etc- all pertinent to Florida pine woods. Not sure if half of it even extends to the more northern stuff. I plan to rectify that when time and $ permit me to take a proper course on the civilian side by a vetted instructor. Mil or not, I want knowledge not DD214's.

#2- Is that dude so stupid as to think he wouldn't be checked out? He was an MP, he knows how easy it is to get records on people. What's he gonna claim? all his shit was redacted or something ridiculous? HA

#3- As a former Recruiter and former Scout, this bothers me. It puts Scouts in a light that is improper. This is potentially harmful for the recruiting mission and the Army. MOS disappointment is a major morale killer. When you expect something harder or "cooler" and get relatively easy and only cool when you're in the bar ( seriously, it was a job, fun at times- but by no means "cool". Cool jobs involve AC and a steady supply of coffee and AFN.)

This is a different bio from what I read but this one is worse almost.

He still is claiming these things, despite not showing any proof or going into any verifiable detail. Something which is usually done in the context of "here are my creds and why I deserve your $ for 'training' you". Ok, he went to Sniper school, where? Under what MOS did he join the Army, what units was he in? What qualifies him to say he was a Scout? What qualifies him to say he was anything.

This doesn't even make sense contextually: "DAVE CANTERBURY - Army-trained SRT scout, sniper. He is also an avid hunter"

SRT's would not need Scouts- either by MOS or OJT. There's nothing to recon! Either he is in dire need of a better writer for his bios or if he is the one writing them, he needs to get his head out of his ass. As far as the Sniper thing...what? what course? where? under what MOS?

I don't doubt the man has what it takes to more or less survive, although his demonstrated methods are somewhat questionable from just a common sense standpoint.

I enjoy Cody Lundin's insights. The man lives and breathes primitive knowledge what all I have read and seen in interviews. Dave Canterbury though? I'm not digging it.

I'd rather see Cody team up with Myke Hawke. Of course, that would probably result in less drama and lower ratings.

I guess everybody wants to be something cool.......
but they dont want to work for it. Ive met 100 guys who served in Viet Nam. all of them were door gunners!

no i was a seal ninja scout marine with the green beret in the mekong delta for 15 tours and i gots 3 medals of honor to prove it , so slow yer roll ther pog.(lol)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess everybody wants to be something cool.......
but they dont want to work for it. Ive met 100 guys who served in Viet Nam. all of them were door gunners! </div></div>

The census bureau says that there are 14 people who claim to have served in Vietnam for every one person who actually did..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This show is set to record every week as is Man, Woman, Wild. </div></div>

with a name like Mike Hunt (his actual name!) and a hot ex-tv reporter side-kick it's no wonder it sets records!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/BioPage.html

doesnt look vague to me...he says he's a scout sniper..... </div></div>

Not scout sniper (that would be a Marine thing), but scout and sniper.

The MP school at Ft Leonard Wood has a very nice SRT school, which includs a Marksman/Observer (sniper) course. If he was a member of a MP SRT, he could legitimately claim many titles for the rolls played:
Sniper, not school trained, but had the SRT Sniper class and may have filled that roll for SRT.
Scout, the guy that goes out and recons a target, location or route prior to an SRT operation.
Breacher
Assaulter
Grenadier
etc, etc on down the line.

I like the show. Great how they can complement each other and I think that their skill set is pretty darn equal even though I am on average pretty anti-hippie I think many times Cody takes the smarter upper hand. Especially after I saw Dave try to get some honey from a possible Africanized honey bee hive in a tree. Dang that was just stupid.

I'm waiting for the episode where they get stranded on an ice floe and the army guy kills and eats the hippie. <span style="text-decoration: underline">That</span> will be good television.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for the episode where they get stranded on an ice floe and the army guy kills and eats the hippie. <span style="text-decoration: underline">That</span> will be good television. </div></div>

Before anybody tries to kill and eat someone who has walked without shoes for 20 years they better think twice !

I kinda think man woman wild is ridiculous, but I still find myself watching it. Couldn't be the hot british chick...
smile.gif

I find it amazing that the Hippie walks around without footwear. I can barely go to the end of the driveway to get the paper without shoes on.

Man vs Wild would be my favorite out of the 3 "survival" shows now on. However, like MichaelK said, I too find myself watching Man vs Wild for the entertainment of the wife being afraid of just about everything.

One of the best lines on the show was "...Survival is difficult, it's even harder with your wife" I married a City girl who has ZERO outdoor survival skills, so I can relate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for the episode where they get stranded on an ice floe and the army guy kills and eats the hippie. <span style="text-decoration: underline">That</span> will be good television. </div></div>

Damn thats funny!
Now I have to clean up the coffee that shot out of my nose when I laughed.

good shows. all 3 . very entertaining. I like Bear Grylls a lot, the guy has some skills ( climbing, HALO, free jumping..all sort of crazy shit)
there was also some questioning about Bear Grylls background, he was not SAS but Reserve SAS or something like that.

The upshot is that army guy's survival techniques have been developed, refined and proved over hundreds of years, optimize chances for survival and expose the survivalist to the least possible risk. Best case, the hippie's primitive techniques put the survivalist at markedly higher risk and only is supportable when you've got the backing of modern medical technology to bail out your malnourished, frostbitten ass when things go south. That was exactly the motivation for evolving beyond "primitive."

I like the show. I always thought Dave was a douche. For all his "hippie" ways, if I was gonna be stranded someplace remote you can bet it would be with Cody.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the show. I always thought Dave was a douche. For all his "hippie" ways, if I was gonna be stranded someplace remote you can bet it would be with Cody.</div></div>

Wouldn't you rather be with Bear Grylls so there is a comfy hotel nearby?

Once the worm eating scenes are over, spit roasted pork and beverages await.