• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

dual tripod rail

Dave1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2014
Altoona
hello guys,
i was looking to mount a small pair binos and rangefinder on a dual mount like this.. My rangefinder has no up/down travel and very little left/right.. i have a mount here at the house that will give me these rotations but the threads on the mount are 3/8 female on bottom. this qr plate is 1/4-20 ..
this dual mount rail is a china cheapo but it is aluminum and not to bad. The screw in lock could be a little better . the american parts on this are much nicer than the china parts lol. Anyway so if i can find a qr plate with 3/8ths male threads that fits this clamp that'd help then i could just screw my rotational mount on for the sig mount. . any ideas or suggetions/help.
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• photo54609.jpg
    photo54609.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 10
Well why fit it on a small Ball head and that way you would have total control over what it does,

I have a Window mount that came with my Leupold GR Spotting scope kit that is perfect for what you need so see if you can get one and remove the Allen Screw that holds it on the mount and fix it to your bracket,

hope that helps.

John.

john,
thanks for the reply , i was just trying to use this extra mount i had here. i noticed the threads on my tripod arent long enough to screw the rail on. i may have to modify the bottom of the rail...pics coming

I just had this mount on left laying around ,but it's 3/8 . I m open to suggestions/options. These clamps aren't an American product, the qr plates are small but fit in snug. Something similar to this or a ball head if i can't make 1 these qr plates 3/8ths bolt

Attachments

• photo54626.jpg
    photo54626.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11
  • photo54627.jpg
    photo54627.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11
  • photo54628.jpg
    photo54628.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo54630.jpg
    photo54630.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 13
Well you can get a male to female extension adapter that will fit, Or you can remove the threaded bolt that is in there and replace it with a longer one, maybe you should try calling one of the bigger Camera Stores because they might have a Quick fix sitting in a draw somewhere, The chances are there is a part made for adapting that Bar to the tripod, so I would be jumping on the phone first thing Monday and see what turns up, fingers crossed,

hope that helps, Good Luck,

John.

mayb buy a ball head that has a 1/4-20 female end on bottom and mount to the 1/4-20 plate instead of using the one i had laying.. most i see are 3/8ths

Played around with the different pieces today , came up with this. Seems pretty decent.

Attachments

• photo54869.jpg
    photo54869.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
Played around with the different pieces today , came up with this. Seems pretty decent.

Well done Dave that looks like it will work, You got me thinking about making one up now,

John.

thats nice lookin, what mount is it? ,,, both my items move independently also so i can align the two.

finished for now, now ill try out some glass/range time n see.

Attachments

• photo55325.jpg
    photo55325.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
mildot,
i found the dual mount rail on ebay, try typing dual mount rail . the clamp that holds the rail was an ebay item also "120mm tripod clamp" this item shipped from newyork. both items showed up as described. the 1 part is from china, i was surprised on how fast it got to me.. if you need help finding any of them . PM me , notta problem bud.

Thanks Dave your a Diamond, I will have a look and see what comes up,

I do need to mount some of my optics because my heart beat makes it hard to get a steady picture, It took me a few minutes to workout what was going on,lol.

thanks Dave.

John.

went out today did little glassing at just houses and a shopping mall. i was able to range mail boxes at i think it was like 1430 or something i just forget.. i also ranged a few signs at 2260! thats my furthest range too. i hopse this sig 2200 last forever , id be happy

went out today did little glassing at just houses and a shopping mall. i was able to range mail boxes at i think it was like 1430 or something i just forget.. i also ranged a few signs at 2260! thats my furthest range too. i hopse this sig 2200 last forever , id be happy

Sounds great Dave, That's a fair ol distance, That Rig of yours looks like a nice setup, It don't get much better than that. Sweeeeeet.

I have yet to get out there and find somewhere to do some testing,

John.

I purchased one on eBay a couple weeks ago for 3D mini mount 8" ($18)or something it was called? It is working really nice. It came with two screw mounts that can be removed and flipped upside down if needed, which is what I did. The screw mounts also had female threads on the other side as well. I went to the hardware store picked up the right size thread bolt, came home and chopped off the blot head. Now I have two male on one side of the bar and just one on the other side. I flipped my leopold GR 12-40x60 upside down and the Sig Kilo2400 is on top on one side and the Labrador is on the top on the other side. Now I'm just waiting for my Nightforce tripod to show up this week and I'm off to the races. My old tripod will serve as a dedicated weather station for the kestrel weather vain now!

I purchased one on eBay a couple weeks ago for 3D mini mount 8" ($18)or something it was called? It is working really nice. It came with two screw mounts that can be removed and flipped upside down if needed, which is what I did. The screw mounts also had female threads on the other side as well. I went to the hardware store picked up the right size thread bolt, came home and chopped off the blot head. Now I have two male on one side of the bar and just one on the other side. I flipped my leopold GR 12-40x60 upside down and the Sig Kilo2400 is on top on one side and the Labrador is on the top on the other side. Now I'm just waiting for my Nightforce tripod to show up this week and I'm off to the races. My old tripod will serve as a dedicated weather station for the kestrel weather vain now!

That's a great Idea mounting the spotter up side down, When you get time Ian can you post some Pics when you get your new tripod,

keep up the good work mate.

John.