• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dual use rifle

MAVERICK59

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2022
PHOENIX, AZ
Hello Ya'll. I am wanting to build a PRS gun and am considering a KRG or MDT chassis and was going to shoot 6.5 Creedmoor. After diving a bit deeper
F class open has my interest also. I'm told the 284 Rem is the caliber to go with.
My question being if I am considering shooting F-class is that a completely different build or can I switch up to a 284 barrel and show up with my PRS gun at a F class event? Will I be at a disadvantage not having a true F class set up and stick out like a sore thumb???...LOL

Thank You

Don

you'd probably be better off just using the 6.5 creed and using the F Class matches to learn wind

then down the road build a real F rifle if you enjoy it. any of the big 7mms (284, 280AI, 7SAUM, 7SS, 7WSM)

Depending on what type of F-Class matches are in your area and whether they are 600 yard or 1000 yard, an alternative option would be to consider a 6mm like Dasher or BRA. For 600 yard F-Class the BR variants can actually be quite competitive. Would be both a good cartridge choice for PRS and also wouldn't require a second barrel swap to show up at a F-Class match. Just take off your muzzle brake.

Main issue I see in your plan is magazine length.
For PRS type events you really want 10 round mags which isn't a problem as most chassis will run with AICS magazines, the problem is stuffing 284win into a AICS magazine severely limits its potential.

Most guys shooting 284win will be at 3.1" coal and using 180gr bullets, you can run 160s at AICS magazine length but you more or less end up with similar performance to 6.5CM but with more recoil which you don't need.
You can run the longer AICS magazines but then you have less chassis options.

I think you can build a rifle that will be competitive for both disciplines but I think 6.5CM or another short action cartridge would be the way to go.
A PRS gun will look out of place at F class comp but for a rifle to get you started it won't be an issue.