• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duct tape on stock?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
I know this is random but why do I see pics of military rifles that have green duct tape around the cheek weld or other places?

Re: Duct tape on stock?

I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest.

let me guess, aside from painting then scratching the paint off for that "used in war sniper rifle look" you also want to make your own sniperish ducktape foam cheek weld so your rifle looks like the real deal, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me guess, aside from painting then scratching the paint off for that "used in war sniper rifle look" you also want to make your own sniperish ducktape foam cheek weld so your rifle looks like the real deal, right? </div></div>
........no

just curious.

Thanks for being an asshole tho
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for being an asshole tho
wink.gif
</div></div>
Your very welcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest. </div></div>

I figured that but ive seen this on m40s that have an adjustable cheek rest.

Sometimes having foam duct taped in place is preferable for some shooters rather than a saddle cheek piece that has screws that will loosen and cause it slip down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest. </div></div>

I figured that but ive seen this on m40s that have an adjustable cheek rest. </div></div>
the saddle is not considered sturdy or reliable enough for the USMC snipers, they cant take the risk and have it fail or move right before they have to take out a HVT so they make their own cheek welds that stay put at all times.

I find it ironic that your "cpt. obvious".....but yet you ask this question......to which the answer is generally......well,......ya know....LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest. </div></div>

I figured that but ive seen this on m40s that have an adjustable cheek rest. </div></div>
the saddle is not considered sturdy or reliable enough for the USMC snipers, they cant take the risk and have it fail or move right before they have to take out a HVT so they make their own cheek welds that stay put at all times. </div></div>See? Now that was useful. thanks

This is funny.

I thought they just used that duct tape to keep their broke ass stock from falling apart
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest. </div></div>

the saddle is not considered sturdy or reliable enough for the USMC snipers, they cant take the risk and have it fail or move right before they have to take out a HVT so they make their own cheek welds that stay put at all times. </div></div>

Since your a "Scout Sniper" right????? Its the HOG's personal preference of putting 100 mph tape on there, nothing to do with it not being reliable or sturdy enough......by the way where did you learn those great big acronyms?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that other will chime in but "function before fashion" with service rifles. You make due with what you have. A flip-flop and duct tape is a classic cheek rest. </div></div>

the saddle is not considered sturdy or reliable enough for the USMC snipers, they cant take the risk and have it fail or move right before they have to take out a HVT so they make their own cheek welds that stay put at all times. </div></div>

Since your a "Scout Sniper" right????? Its the HOG's personal preference of putting 100 mph tape on there, nothing to do with it not being reliable or sturdy enough......by the way where did you learn those great big acronyms?
whistle.gif
</div></div>
haha I was told it was for a more sturdy cheek rest that wouldn't budge, but your right, I have no real world experience. Sorry if it seemed like I was claiming to know from experience Austin.

In my opinion the saddle style cheek pieces are junk. When I went through school that was one of the first things you did was take of the saddle cheek piece and build your own with riggers tape and Iso Mat. One guy in my platoon used it while on deployment, everyone else built there own. I also think the saddle cheekpieces are to wide and you have to cant your head to look through the scope causing muscular tension and and making the shooter less relaxed and uncomfortable (IMO). I still build my own cheek pieces the same way on my own rifles today. Also the purpose of the cheek piece is to ensure the rifle properly fits the shooter. Everyone is different. You want to be completely relaxed when in your shootin position. That means your eye is directly behind the scope when you are relaxed.

Any one used "Rat grips"?

It's some sort of thermoforming material.

I had a guy who was recently back form Afghanistan tell me it was the best thing since sliced bread for building up a cheek piece and customizing your grip.

Is it good stuff or snake oil?