• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumpster Diving in the PX

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    A week or so ago I was bored and went deep into the PX pages.

Something caught my eye

"Smith and Wesson"

"Model 19-4"

I thought "Hmmmmmm, Model 19. Just like I was issued by the State Department when I was an MSG."

I've been looking so I had some great communication with the poster.

It's out of quarantine today......

image.jpg

It's defective. Looks like that barrel wasn't tight enough so they used a pin to secure the barrel...

image.jpg

Than the machinist milling the cylinder over bored the cartridges so the rounds sit recessed in the cylinder....

image.jpg

It's okay though. To check if it's loaded I just look at the front of the gun and I can see bullets in the cylinders and even down the barrel.

It's a beauty....

image.jpg

With friends.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
    Gorgeous piece!
    I was just checking out one of the new model 19 classic at my local G.S.
    I was/am very tempted to buy it!
    DW

Gorgeous piece!
    I was just checking out one of the new model 19 classic at my local G.S.
    I was/am very tempted to buy it!
    DW

Those "Classic" line guns look great but........

There are so many unloved "real" classics out there.

When I was at the Honey Hole today I went lurking out back looking for a 98K for another member here that's interested.

I was surprised to see his rifles are blown out but the shelves and counters were full of pistols/revolvers.

I've been checking there and he has a 19-5 that looks pretty good.

Im going back in there next week to hopefully make a deal on 16 boxes of Hydra Shok in .38+P and a case of Winchester 9mm.

Happy to seek Model 19s for you. If I remember to bring a camera I'll get pictures of what catches my eye.

The pistols we were issued had the standard S&W grips as on my K22 and 27-2.

I'll be getting a set of them for the 19 for nostalgias sake.

When I was in Liberia I found a set of Pachmayers in the Embassy that I fit to my Model 19.

I don't know what Model grips they were but they gave the 19 an almost "Birds Head" style grip.

I'd like to find a set of those for nostalgias sake.

Reactions: mheimer_45
    Those "Classic" line guns look great but........

There are so many unloved "real" classics out there.

When I was at the Honey Hole today I went lurking out back looking for a 98K for another member here that's interested.

I was surprised to see his rifles are blown out but the shelves and counters were full of pistols/revolvers.

I've been checking there and he has a 19-5 that looks pretty good.

Im going back in there next week to hopefully make a deal on 16 boxes of Hydra Shok in .38+P and a case of Winchester 9mm.

Happy to seek Model 19s for you. If I remember to bring a camera I'll get pictures of what catches my eye.
    The old ones do seem to have a much better trigger!
    Don't put yourself out, but if you come across somthing really nice you know how to get ahold of me ; )
    DW

Reactions: pmclaine
    Great find! I will always have a soft spot for nice old revolvers. Revolvers were my first love and don’t get near enough range time as they used to here.

Thanks for posting. (y)

is that a 3.5 N frame in that line up?

I remember seeing that one and thinking nah, better move on, don’t need another. Looks like that pre-lock P&R found a good home - congrats.

I'm sorry - I can't get past this bit

"It's okay though. To check if it's loaded I just look at the front of the gun and I can see bullets in the cylinders and even down the barrel.

It's a beauty.... "

what?

I'm sorry - I can't get past this bit

"It's okay though. To check if it's loaded I just look at the front of the gun and I can see bullets in the cylinders and even down the barrel.

It's a beauty.... "

what?
    It’s a joke... later guns did not have recessed cylinders. So you could tell If they were loaded by looking at the frame/cylinder gap from the side. Early guns you had to swing open. Or just look from the front, which was always the gag.

Cheers,

Sirhr

It’s a joke... later guns did not have recessed cylinders. So you could tell If they were loaded by looking at the frame/cylinder gap from the side. Early guns you had to swing open. Or just look from the front, which was always the gag.

Cheers,

Sirhr

thanks for the clarification! haha

Cheers,

Sirhr

Remind me to send your stipend for handling my light work....thank you for the back up.

So, being intriuged, I started looking around at Smith & Wesson Revolvers. HOLY SHIT! The prices are sky high on all the auctions. Is this due to the plague?

great find till the cops arrest you for a murder that gun was used in a day before you found it , well wishing you the best of luck . I hear prison offers an excellent health care benefits and an educational experience that's next to none , and a spiffy exercise program that's one to remember , bending at the knees and whimpering will only makes them like you more cause who don't like salty tears , lol YOU CAN DO IT .

• Angry
    Reactions: sandwarrior
    great find till the cops arrest you for a murder that gun was used in a day before you found it , well wishing you the best of luck . I hear prison offers an excellent health care benefits and an educational experience that's next to none , and a spiffy exercise program that's one to remember , bending at the knees and whimpering will only makes them like you more cause who don't like salty tears , lol YOU CAN DO IT .

Sounds like a confession.

Are you a Democommunist? Do you project?

:)

• Haha
    The gun looks so vintage. It is so beautiful. I was a fan of guns. I used to collect them, and now I don't. I got bored and gave them to a friend, and I left only one, as well as a vintage one. I cared a lot about him, but it happened so much so that when my sister was cleaning the house, she put him together with all the garbage and the team that came to help us and take our trash and threw it on him ... I'm so sad that I don't have it anymore, I cared a lot about it. If I found one like that, I would take another one to have in my collection.

Last edited:
    Gratuitous picture.....

View attachment 7712775

And today S&W announced they are moving their headquarters from MA to TN......

View attachment 7712776

Sad to see that rollmark go but it's a good move.
    Are they leaving revolver Production in Springfield? I assumed they are
    Moving AR production and HQ to Tn and leaving the forging and revolver ops in Ma.

Sirhr

Are they leaving revolver Production in Springfield? I assumed they are
    Moving AR production and HQ to Tn and leaving the forging and revolver ops in Ma.

Sirhr

Might just be moving AR production......have not heard.

I understand MA is pressuring them to stop AR sales.

but that represents the loss of close to 600 jobs.

The drug trade from Springfield to Vermont via 91 became a relatively bigger business op.

• Haha
    Gratuitous picture.....
    Congratulations on your great purchase P Mac! I love old Smith and Wesson wheel guns.

Here are a couple of Gratuitous pictures of a couple of my vintage Smith's

1899 pic.jpg

I actually took the MagnaGrip off of it because they were way too new and replaced them with grips that are closer to the original grips but I doubt that I will ever find a set that are 100% correct. It is one of the 2000 that were US Army issued so it is 38 Colt instead of 38 Special. It's been around the block...several times... but I can shoot it and not feel bad about shooting a rare collectable because it isn't in collectable condition. The holster is wrong for it, but it came with it when I bought it.
    k38pic.jpg

I thought I would hate the target grips on my 1954 K 38 but I actually shoot it pretty well with them on so I have left them

Last edited:
    @deltawiskey

“I'd like to find some grips just a bit bigger for mine...”

If your ok with moving away from the original Magnas might try to find a set of Kim Ahrends grips. He had to shut down production a few years ago but they still pop up on the used market, although prices have increased.

at the risk of junking up @pmclaine ’s thread here’s a gratuitous pic of some Ahrends Retro Combats in cocobolo on my 3” M65 LS

0E626596-7A77-45AB-ADB0-467DB9933120.jpeg

@deltawiskey

If your ok with moving away from the original Magnas might try to find a set of Kim Ahrends grips. He had to shut down production a few years ago but they still pop up on the used market, although prices have increased.

at the risk of junking up @pmclaine ’s thread here’s a gratuitous pic of some Ahrends Retro Combats in cocobolo on my 3” M65 LS

View attachment 7713104

Im an admirer of others junk.....post away.

@deltawiskey

View attachment 7713104
    Those look perfect, I will keep my eyes out for some, thanks!
    DW

Reactions: fanninland
    Had a customer that wanted to have this done to his model 19.
    begged him to sell it to me but wouldn’t said he wanted to give it to his new wife.
    caught a lot of shit for defacing a beautiful revolver.

Attachments

• E3A22B4E-31D6-4C62-86EA-76D91FC979FD.png
      E3A22B4E-31D6-4C62-86EA-76D91FC979FD.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 57
    • Sad
    Reactions: camocorvette