• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Durable Firearm Coating?

Bully

Private, in so many ways...
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
NJ
Howdy all.

I am looking in to spray/bake on coatings that can be done DIY and I already know about Cerakote and how it works and it's properties. However being the guy I am, I always feel the need to research what else is out there that is being used successfully by others.

What other companies are out there making really durable coatings for guns?

Reactions: Downtown
Cerakote is the best I know of it’s just the price that keeps me away. I’ve painted a few guns with Brownells Aluma Hyde and found it very durable and it’s $12 a can vs $40 an ounce.

Howdy all.

I am looking in to spray/bake on coatings that can be done DIY and I already know about Cerakote and how it works and it's properties. However being the guy I am, I always feel the need to research what else is out there that is being used successfully by others.

What other companies are out there making really durable coatings for guns?
I've used several over the years , the non bake on doesn't hold up to scuffs and wear like the bake on Cerakote. They all work but some go on quite thick where cerakote isn't. $40 an ounce isn't really a good gauge of the cost because you can do 3 guns from a $40 tester. The big deal with cerakote is you need a oven JUST for it. DO NOT bake it in your food oven. It has isocynides in the hardner. If you just want color fast, a rattle can will work and it can be removed with acetone.

As for other options, I've used both Gunkote and Norrell's Moly Resin over the years and Norrell's is a much better product than Gunkote. The original gray and black formulas are better than the other newer colors though. Gunkote has more solvent requiring additional spray coats and I find is less durable in the long run. Norrell's will work as a lower-cost substitute for Cerakote, but not as many color choices.

Last edited:
I also like Molyresin but to be honest if you don't have the the equipment to properly clean, media blast, spray and cook you will be better off having a professional Cerakote it. IMO nothing in a rattle can is of much value.

As for other options, I've used both Gunkote and Norrell's Moly Resin over the years and Norrell's is a much better product than Gunkote. The original gray and black formulas are better than the other newer colors though. Gunkote has more solvent requiring additional spray coats and I find is less durable in the long run. Norrell's will work as a lower-cost substitute for Cerakote, but not as many color choices.
I also like Molyresin but to be honest if you don't have the the equipment to properly clean, media blast, spray and cook you will be better off having a professional Cerakote it. IMO nothing in a rattle can is of much value.

Aside from the limited colors, do you folks like the Moly-Resin better than Cerakote?

Cerakote is the best I know of it’s just the price that keeps me away. I’ve painted a few guns with Brownells Aluma Hyde and found it very durable and it’s $12 a can vs $40 an ounce.

The alumahyde worked great to turn an FDE KAC stock into a black one... It doesn't wear or chip. And for whatever reason it came out textured? Not something I'd want on a rifle but on this stock it was the titties. It did take a LOT of working the adj. buttplate to wear through some of the paint though, it was sticking. And that's the thing with Cerakote. It does it in thin layers and will burnish before wearing or chipping.

I have an FAL done in Cerakote. Inside and out. Looks like brand new rifle. Inside and out. The shit is peerless, it stomped the competition. Refinish: Cerakote. Color: Krylon.

Cerakoting a base color and using spray cans for the situation seem to be the best way to go IMO. Best of both worlds.

I've used several over the years , the non bake on doesn't hold up to scuffs and wear like the bake on Cerakote. They all work but some go on quite thick where cerakote isn't. $40 an ounce isn't really a good gauge of the cost because you can do 3 guns from a $40 tester. The big deal with cerakote is you need a oven JUST for it. DO NOT bake it in your food oven. It has isocynides in the hardner. If you just want color fast, a rattle can will work and it can be removed with acetone.

Isocyanate

Please don't hate me... but a lot of guys building AKs use appliance epoxy or hi temp engine paint, then bake it. Durable enough, and cheap at $8 per can at Wally world. One can does a bunch of rifles. Let dry, bake at 400f for 2hrs.

Nutshell:

Duracoat: Watered down tractor paint. (It's diluted Sherwin Williams Polane T Plus)
Ceracoat: Take grammy's china, pulverize it to dust, introduce a very "watery" epoxy, and there you have it.
Yeah, but... How durable is it and is there something better that a small shop/DIYer can do?

I’ve done a few rifles in durakote and like how it’s held up. I bought a cheap airbrush off amazon and it goes on nice and thin. Is it as good as cerakote? Of course not but it was DIY without needing a spare oven that will fit a 300wm. This is a hunting rifle and it has held up the last few seasons fine. Those of you who routinely toss your rifles off cliffs or out of moving vehicles may need something better though.

Reactions: JKW70 and Praeger
Duracoat white seems to last longer than the cerakote whites, which tend to yellow pretty quickly if you spend much time outside. That said, cerakote is much much much more durable, and the other colors are excellent. I like the new cerakote elite coatings a lot too, they’re very slick and durable.

Reactions: LRI and Bully
Duracoat white seems to last longer than the cerakote whites, which tend to yellow pretty quickly if you spend much time outside. That said, cerakote is much much much more durable, and the other colors are excellent. I like the new cerakote elite coatings a lot too, they’re very slick and durable.

/\ this right here.

^ I did this with high temp matte "grill paint." It's holding up well. There are a few nicks and gouges, but there are other, more eyecatching damages/wear on the rifle from bouncing it off barricades/cattle gates and dragging it around hill and dale. The paint seems to hold up to mild solvents (kerosene, alcohol) and other things like sun-screen too. I haven't deliberately tested any barrel cleaning products though. Touch-up is a snap if ever it gets too much to bear.

If you want something permanent and easy to apply. I say go with KG Industries Gunkote. I have done numerous firearms with it and it is pretty easy to apply with a basic airbrush gun and small compressor. Prep is the key and then baking it on for an hour at around 360 F. If you are going to do polymers, they have an additive that you mix into the color you are doing, this reduces the baking temperature to 160 F. 118356959_826007751473115_5268080595226343971_n.jpgIMG_20170722_152548.jpg

Air cure cerakote has been astoundingly durable on my AR. That being said it’s all in the prep. You must media blast the parts and thoroughly degrease. And apply with the proper equipment. Preparation is everything . Not as durable as a baked job but pretty darned tough in my experience.

Reactions: OldSwatDude