• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DuraCoat® Aerosol over Savage Mark II FV-SR Questions

Simplejack

Private
Minuteman
I have a Savage FV-SR and was wondering if anyone knows if I can paint the barrel and receiver without having to sand it down first?
I emailed Duracoat and they said they don't know what the original finish is on the gun so they can't really give me and answer and just told me to sand it down with 600 grit.. I would rather not do that and pretty much if I have to do that I don't want to do it. Anyone know exactly what type of finish they use on the barrel for this model and can I just paint over the finish if I clean all oil residue off?

Maybe? You will probably be fine with just degreasing really, really well. For best results, you should really get it sandblasted. A quick sanding with 600 grit sandpaper would certainly make the finish tougher. As a professional, I wouldn't do the job unless I was blasting the metal clean.

Short answer, it will probably stick, but it most likely won't be as durable.

Wes

It's just factory bluing. Horrible bluing at that.

I just used scotch-brite on mine FV-SR and the degreaser that came in the kit with duracote.
It's held up fantastically for over 2 years so far.

Yeah your correct it's not an FV-SR, ir started life as a 93r17-FV. I put blue painters tape inside the reciever plugging the ejection port and bolt raceway and put a foam earplug in the muzzle. Bolt came from the factory like that with no extra polishing on my end, I would have preferred a matte black at least.

Ahh ok. I will take a note of that if I decide to paint my rifle. Thanks :)

The FV-SR has a much different finish. It's like a rough matte finish that I've never seen before on a gun barrel. Looks really cheap.. Looks better then it is in the picture below.
Hard to see in this picture, but it's all I got right now.

You can see the color difference in the second picture. The muzzle break is Black Duracoat. I need my whole gun to match this or it just doesn't look right..

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

Last edited:
Coat right over it. Below is a picture of mine that I cerakoted with 60/40 Burnt Bronze and Sniper Gray. The factory finish is "rough" enough that there is no need to blast. Be sure to thoroughly degrease...that is the key.
P1000786.jpgP1000796.jpgP1000790.jpgP1000787.jpg

Last edited:
If you want it to last, prep it properly. If you're not worried about it coming off easily just paint it. Painting anything is 90% prep 10% painting.

It is a pretty ugly factory finish and it seems to really be a rust magnet. Mine looks like the barrel was finish polished with a 60 grit wheel on a tool post grinder, with a very shallow blueing. I live in a fairly arid climate and still have issues with it rusting. The rough surface does hold oil well, somewhat like parkerizing does. Problem is, the blue doesn't help stop rust as much as parkerizing does. Mine will be having a close and personal experience with some kind of coating soon...