• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Duracoat problem

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Has anyone that has used Duracoat ever had any problems with a color not being what you thought is should be? Here's my problem. I ordered Desert MarageFlage Camopak (paint only) a couple of weeks ago. I started the painting on Nov. 23 and finished coating on the 25th. When I was shaking the bottles to stir up the paint they looked like they should. After painting the Desert Mirage Tan looks like a silver color and the Desert Mirage Sand look like a blueish gray. I've email Lauer about it just wondering if anyone else ever had a problem.

Re: Duracoat problem

Is it discolored evenly across the color or just in areas of the color? Is it fully cured? I had a Sig frame in tan that was sort of silvery all over but it went away. Lauer should help you, but its like airplane crashes. They usually determine operator error.

No it's not fully cured yet final coat went on Thursday. Yes, it is discolored evenly on both colors. The Brown and Lizard colors look like they should.

Really shake the hell out of it. Some of that Duracoat is really a bit separated and takes more than the casual shake to fully mix up. Had a bottle of matte black awhile back that was like that, it started out flat black and towards the end of the bottle it went to gloss black. There was a lot of solids in the bottom of the bottle that weren't getting mixed up by shaking it a couple minutes. Seems like a QC or inventory management problem on Lauer's end.

I never had a problem with what you described. I do though shake the heck out of it for a while to make sure all the paint is mixed before I use it.

I got some pics of it.

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0044-2.jpg

DSCF0042-1.jpg

looking at your pictures and at Duracoat's site picture of the colors, they look right to me. Duracoat's sample of the painted rifle colors do not look the same.

Looks good to me. Nice job of painting!

The lizard and brown look fine but the tan and sand look like silver and light blue

Its kind of hard to get a true appreciation for the exact color over the 'net, but your paint scheme and application looks very good.

I just received an email from Lauer. They are sending me some more paint and said to "Really, really shake it up." the paperwork says shake for 2 to 3 minutes. But they said that more mixing is helpful on some colors. Good CS from Lauer.