• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Duracoat vs Creakote

Re: Duracoat vs Creakote

I have a few questions,

If there is a link I need to go to please let me know

(1) I need ideas on what to do with my guns serial number, I am thinking about using tape and cutting a rectangle and rounding the edges. Will painters tape work ( blue masking tape)
(2) Do I need to fill the holes with some putty or can I use a reaming tool after the paint has cured
(3) Do I need to protect/tape off the slide grooves and the proximal edge of the frame (the top side of the frame) and the Mag well
(4) Sand blasting gives the paint a better surface to adhere too right? Can I just use a fine grit automotive sanding paper to prep instead?
(5) Any other tips I need to know

I ordered the ultra flat tactical OD, will be in on the 5th and my buddy at work is returning my airbrush tomorrow, that just reminded me what do I use for solvent to clean my stuff with… Is that something I needed to order, I hope not the ORMD shipping is costly.

I will post some pictures when I am done..

One more thing I took the Plunger Tube off the frame (a new one is on the way), there were some scratches I wanted to remove and it was in the way. I know it was riveted from the back I guess I will need a Gunsmith to re-attach it unless you have any tricks. I am experienced at hand riveting using and anvil, and ball pein hammer with the various rivet setting tools. Still just guessing but I imagine I would need to insert a snug fitting steel rod into the plunger tube to keep from smashing it. This must be a PIA do you guys have a hand tool that sets the rivet?

I did 5 of my rifles w/ duracoat and used fine grit sandpaper and it stuck nicely. Duracoat also has a prep-solvant that cleans all of the greasy stuff off. Like the other guy said, dont use too much hardner or it will be glossy. Follow directions for measurements or partial measurements and you should be fine. Duracoat is definatly the way to go..no need to block off serial #...you will still be able to read it as duracoat does not fill in stuff....no need to block off holes (except chamber, barrel ends)....at least I didnt and all 5 of mine turned out great!!!!good luck

I finished my pistol about 1.5 months ago, it turned out very well. I am quite pleased I spent the time and money to do it myself. It did not cost much to do. The paint and the cheep airbrush from Harbor Freight worked fine. The air brush was 9.00 and came with I think 5 plastic jars there was no nozzle to clean it was all contained in the plastic jars so I just threw the jar away after I used it. The Duracoat had a reaction with the plastic jar and melted it anyway. For what less then 2.00 per use who cares it was not worth the time and materials need to clean it up. I will do all my Duracoating on my own from now on.
Gun Photo's

cool! now fix you picture link so we don't have to sign up to see them
grin.gif

As a side note you could use Gun Kote from KG industries I have used it twice with good results. It is a one part system so no mixing. I have it on a turkey gun that I treat like a bastard step child and it is holding up well. I agree with some others. Take the time, have a little pride in your work and do it yourself you will be glad you did.