• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dusk and Dawn Optic for ....

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
$600 or less

I'm damn near embarrassed to ask. I'm setting up a 308 for the oldest boy.

I've spent so much time round S&B, NXS, USO that I've lost touch on a good "hunting" type set up.

I don't want to break the bank for the first set up for him. But I want some good low light performance...

Help is much appreciated.

Re: Dusk and Dawn Optic for ....

I'm still a fan for the VXIII or VX3 3.5-10x40 for hunting. Get one used for $350 somewhere, spend $100 for an M1 elevation knob for him if you'd like and rock on.

Killed a Muley at 520 yards two years ago with one, didn't once wish for more light or magnification.

If it's just for hunting 2-300 yards, Burris Fullfield II 3-9 or Sightron S1 3-9. My boys 2 hunting rigs wear these and they are both very good optics for the price. The Burris has the edge (I think) in low light performance (and I have to say it performs very well in low light situations)but it's more money. About $190 for the Burris, $135 for the Sightron. Can't go wrong with either.

Oh, if you want more magnification the Burris 4.5-14 is a very good hunting scope but it's $200 more and puts it into stiff competition with scopes that have much more flexibility in terms of use.

John

Elite 4200 is hard to beat for the money.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scopes-C71.aspx
I'd recommend the 2.5-10.

We have a good deal on the old Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 that is hard to pass on too. This scope sold for close to $400. not long ago and now with the Primos branding it is only $219.95
http://swfa.com/Nikon-Team-Primos-Riflescopes-C1407.aspx

The Zeiss Conquest has always been a super value and very good in low light. The 3-9x40 starts at $499.95
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Conquest-Rifle-Scopes-C239.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

Thanks for the responses so far....

I see SWFA has the conquests in the sample list ( not afraid to by used at all! )

side by side to the above mentioned... how do they compare..

I will second the opinion of the Bushnell 4200 series. Take your choice of magnification range.
I have been very please with there low light performance over the years.

SWFA,

I'll take a look at your suggestions. I'm real reluctant to have anything with the Primos Name on it...unless it's a Elk call.
Lets just say we had an interesting conversation once.
It's hard to wrap my feeble mind (a personal challenge)around good optics and Bushnell but hey...I'll try to have an open mind.

I'd be happy to find the Conquest 3-10 matte with the rapic z 600 for 6 bills or less...

Damn It Man! You just missed the perfect S&B 6x42 like-new scope that sold here on the 'Hide last week ........

IMG_1717.jpg

Could've included it in the box with that 'B' prefix 700 .308 and you'd been set!

No matter, might want something a little lighter for the young hunter, so go over to 24Hour Campfire and make the gent a reasonable offer on the like-new VX-III 2.5-8x36 matte duplex and be done with it ....

scope2.JPG

Leupy VX-III 2.5-8x36

Hope he kills several this season!

Regards.

I would get the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 with the #4 reticle from Doug at CameralandNY for $629 shipped. I have a couple of them for exactly the situation you described. I know it is $30 more than you said but you are getting a very good dusk-dawn scope. I much prefer it over similar products from Burris, Bushnell, or Leupold.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Riflescope-P12758.aspx

Link to Leupold 6x42 FX3 with long range duplex. the cool thing about the 6x42 is that when it gets dark this one has a 7mm exit eye pupil which is bright as it gets and the real bonus of this model is that the balistic reticle which had a cross hair and two dots below can be zeroed at 200 and the dots below be 300 and 400 and where the post below goes to heavy about 500 - check with your ammo to verify but this beats the hell out of a higher power balistic reticle scope where the reticle is second focal plane and will only work at the highest power.
The other scope I would suggest is the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP with tactical knobs - might as well start the education curve on the right path.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
I have two of these and they are very nice for the price.

I know it's at the top end of your budget or just a tad more but take a look at the IOR 2.5-10x42. You get FFP, MP8 reticle, illumination and great class. Hands down it's probably the best and most overlooked scope IOR has ever made IMHO. When you want to, pull it off the hunting rig and throw it on an AR as a spotter setup. You can get the adjustments in mil or moa.

I would also recommend the Bushnell Elite 4200, they're VERY bright scopes. They're very reliable and rugged too.

I would buy a GOOD used scope before a no name new one. JMO

Am impressed with my Nikon Omega, 1.65-5x36 with a BDC250 reticle.
Sharp and bright with 5" of eye relief... An option if you want a long eye relief and a low price tag.