• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duty flashlight recommendations/opinions

Re: Duty flashlight recommendations/opinions

I own and have used Surefire and Streamlight over the years with good results. They both make great lights for regular/patrol use, or any tactical application. Streamlight is more economical.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Inova T4, although it is a rechargeable light. Holds a charge for a long long time (runs more than two hours on "high"). Super bright (200 lumens) with a long reach. The low power setting works well and conserves the battery. It also has a strobe that works well.

Just as the posters stated above, there is nothing like a quick burst of strobe for disorienting subjects when engaged in high risk entry work. Try standing in a dark room and having someone hit you or your surroundings with the strobe...it is very effective. In training, I've used the strobe with multible role players using simunitions and found the "bad guy" role players report they had no idea where the operator/officers were located after the initial strobe light burst, that they lost their night vision completely, and that they felt disoriented and couldn't fight/shoot. Great advantage to LE for safely taking people into custody in high risk operations. Pretty effective when used as intended.

Check out the Inova T4.

I need to comment on the strobe feature just for an fyi. While strobe does disorient it can also have a negative affect on the person using it. I know of guys who have missed threat targets during training because of 4 guys running strobes on the team and messing up there own sight. This target was unobscured and less than 7 meters away.

As far as light needed to blind and disorient usually anything over 50 lumens will get the job done.

The Malkoff Devices MD2 has a high and low output; will run on cr123's, rcr123, or better yet 18650's; pushes 260 lumens out the front on high, gives about 90 minute run time @ 260, then tails off from there; has a very robust clicky switch, and is generally built like a tank. Also allows you to upgrade as LED technology evolves. Only downside is the lack of reverse polarity protection which means if you put the batts in backwards and hit the switch, you kill the LED. Overall it's a great light and Malkoff is very highly regarded at CPF.

for the guy(me) that doesnt need everything tacticool its the Maglite 3D LED

I've been using a streamlight stinger for 10 years, but I'm thinking of switching to a pelican.

I've been beating on a Surefire 6px for about 8 months now and aside from mediocre battery life, it's a great light. Even mounted it in a 1" scope ring and put it on my AR for shits and giggles. Far from the quintessential weapon light but in a pinch it'll do it and the momentary on/off tail cap is good for clearing rooms or home defense.

Well if I ever get the one I ordered, should be tomorrow according to the information, but who knows. I have a mag lite that I'm going to do some modifications on, as I've been reading cpf about modifiying a mag lite and it doesn't get used at all any more. Who wants to feed batteries to an incadescent light anymore anyhow! I'm also looking at buying a surefire(or knock off surefire) body and adding some aftermarket stuff to for projects. These won't be used on the street really, unless they are absolutely reliable. I do appreciate all the feedback and information that you guys have posted along the way.

It looks like most prefer streamlight or surefire (or at least they got the majority of the vote). I have no problems with streamlight and own/have owned several. Still do. Surefure I've never owned, but the biggest issue I have with them is the price of their stuff. I know they have a lifetime warranty and such, but I'm not ok with paying $1+ per lumen. My biggest concern is reliability given that it has to work when I need it. If I can get that from something else, well then I'll go cheaper. Aside from that Surefire has their share of problems as well, from what I've been told and read. Not knocking them, but just not drinking the koolaid either.

I like using the Maglight 12 cell
grin.gif
When all else fails use it as a baton.................JK. I use a Surefire 9n Commander, but I'm due for an upgrade. Wish my pd would buy me a light.....wft?

Jetstream BC40 has a really nice transition, spill and good throw. simple mechanism to adjust between Med and Hi...

4Sevens Quark S12

4Sevens123-2 turbo X....

Eagletac PC20II or T20II

Thrunite Catapult V3 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if I ever get the one I ordered, should be tomorrow according to the information, but who knows. I have a mag lite that I'm going to do some modifications on, as I've been reading cpf about modifiying a mag lite and it doesn't get used at all any more. Who wants to feed batteries to an incadescent light anymore anyhow! I'm also looking at buying a surefire(or knock off surefire) body and adding some aftermarket stuff to for projects. These won't be used on the street really, unless they are absolutely reliable. I do appreciate all the feedback and information that you guys have posted along the way.

It looks like most prefer streamlight or surefire (or at least they got the majority of the vote). I have no problems with streamlight and own/have owned several. Still do. Surefure I've never owned, but the biggest issue I have with them is the price of their stuff. I know they have a lifetime warranty and such, but I'm not ok with paying $1+ per lumen. My biggest concern is reliability given that it has to work when I need it. If I can get that from something else, well then I'll go cheaper. Aside from that Surefire has their share of problems as well, from what I've been told and read. Not knocking them, but just not drinking the koolaid either. </div></div>

Well to be fair, every company lets a turd through QC on occasion. Yes, they aren't cheap and it was a hard pill to swallow but after I had to pull a 4runner out of a river at 4am armed with 1 tow strap and my Surefire, I'm a believer. That thing spent more time hitting water and rocks than it did lighting the car and it still looks and functions as new.

Can you get the same for cheaper? Probably, but it's peace of mind for me, I guess. YMMV

Bear everything you said is absolutely true. They are tough as nails and everybody does take a dump and put it in a box from time to time. Maybe its just becasue I haven't used one and not been made a believer. I was in no wqy belittling tyem at all. I plan on building one here in the future, but my budget wont allow it right now. My only gripe is that they are pricey for the amount of output and variable options.

SureFire offers a 20% discount to mil/LE if you call us direct and tell customer service what you do for a living.

The world of fixing airplanes on graves is full of Streamlights, the new LED Stringer is about as perfect as a mechanics flashlight can be.

20% interesting! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Is that for an agency or can an individual officer get that? I'll have to call and see.

I have this Lumintop TD-15X. It maxes out at 720 lumens and fit perfect in the old Streamlight Stinger holster. I have had it 10-11 months with no regrets.I think I paid around $100. Guys who only know Streamlight and Surefire are missing out on the latest and greatest. It's like having a car headlight in your hand. It has low medium and high. Here the link
http://www.lumintop.com/en_pv_5130_0_35.html
td15o.jpg

Why did you have to post that flashlight? Now I have to get it, dang it. My Surefire is going to be crying in a corner, but thats ok since its the little 6P LED model.

I agree with ya moreair. Nice light....I'll have to check them out. I've kinda become a flashaholic lately!

It can be set up for two cr123's or three of them. It comes with a tube extension for the third Cr123. The three battery set up makes it about the same size as a Stinger. The third battery does not make it brighter, it just makes the run time longer. I use mine on medium most of the time. Surefire is nice and they are made in USA, which makes them about twice as expensive of the other newer companies. Sad but true.

Another option worth considering is the HDS clicky or rotary. Uses either primary or recharable CR123 battery.

2 hour runtime on high before automatically stepping down to 50% of high value.

These things are built like a tank and guranteed for life. While not cheap, they were the last light that I had to buy. I now own 3 of them - EDC 140, 170 tactical, 200 tactical. All my other lights are paperweights.

The best part is that they are totally user customizable. If you don't care for the factory default settings, you can easliy reprogram the light to your liking and uses. Resetting back to factory default is easy too.

Just another option to consider.
http://www.hdssystems.com/?id=Products

I kinda line this hds lights. Not a great price, but a cool looking light anyhow. Reads like its a little complicated to operate under stress, but if its reprogammable then a guy can take Care of that.

HDS lights at first have a slight learning curve, but once you get used to them it really becomes second nature. Same goes with the programming, but once you do that a time or two just to learn how, it really is easy.

With either the EDC or tactical model you can have the tactical strobe as one of your options. The only real difference between the two lights is the color of the bezel - stainless EDC or black tacitcal. The other difference is the tail cap - the EDC uses a flush button, the tactical a raised button. The final difference is the stock/default program which is really a moot point, as you can customize either the EDC or tactical to do the exact same thing.

I really like the fact that they throw alot of light for their size, are built tank tough, use either primary or rechargable 123's and have a bullet proof warranty.

They have quite a following over on Candlepowerforums.

If you search around on CPF there is a thread and picture showing a HDS after being shot with a rifle right into the lens. It beat up the light, but it still worked.

This guy makes some nice leather holster for lights as well as other leather goods. He's the guy who shot the light for HDS. I've talked to him and ordered several light holsters from him. He's good to go and sells the lights too.
http://www.thorshammercustomleather.com/apps/webstore/

No doubt these lights are higher priced, but worth every damn penny IMHO. If you want small size, good output, 123 battery options, and total user customization, then these are the schiznit. I can't think of another brand that offers all the above mentioned options in such a tough little package.

I believe that Henry - the head poon coon at HDS was also involved in the ARC lights, Novatac, and now on his own with HDS.

The HDS are 1" so if you want to mount it to an AR or other firearm you easily can with a mount.

I use one on duty (firefighter), 1 off duty, and one on my AR.
Have never had a problem getting through several 24 hr shifts with one rechargable AW brand battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moreair</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this Lumintop TD-15X. It maxes out at 720 lumens and fit perfect in the old Streamlight Stinger holster. I have had it 10-11 months with no regrets.I think I paid around $100. Guys who only know Streamlight and Surefire are missing out on the latest and greatest. It's like having a car headlight in your hand. It has low medium and high. Here the link
http://www.lumintop.com/en_pv_5130_0_35.html
td15o.jpg
</div></div>

I currently carry the LED Stinger, along with the PolyStinger in my patrol bag as a backup. The light you posted has some great specs. At the highest output, it gave a run time of 1 hour. Shows and option for +1 and +2 battery extension. I wonder how much longer those give it. Is the beam a pencil or flood? Do you have a pic? Price is just under what I paid for my Singers, wouldn't mind picking up this light.

I would say is more of a thrower, but has good flood. No problems lighting up any area of interest.I tried taking a picture but it looks dumb with my camera. Walk into a dark room and shine it on the ceiling and it looks like the lights are on. Here is a link to the video that sold me on it.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rOumphyk6g"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rOumphyk6g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP, as you now are aware, there are many options and it can get get confusing. I have been doing a lot of research on lights of late. Quality, rechargeble 18650 batteries like the AW 2900 mah protected (about $18) are currently the best bang for the buck. Many lights are now available that use two CR123s or a single 18650. That would be my first criteria.

A forward clicky is also a must. This gives you "momentary on" by pushing the clicky half way.

I also look at the second highest setting as one of the most important since that is the one I use the most. Many "flame throwers' have a very low second level. Most of the time I want a 120-140 lumen beam, but it is nice to have 250-350 available on demand.

The Olight Warrior already mentioned is a good choice. The HDS mentioned is a good choice in other ways. It is one of the few lights that have momentary on at max lumens by pushing and holding the clicky. It only goes full on by clicking and releasing the swith quickly; push and hold = light goes off as soon as you release the button. That is very desirable for me. The HDS is available in 170 or 200 lumens which is a good amount of light. They are a little pricey though.

The Nova Tac 120T uses the same interface. HDS and Nova Tac were associated at one time. I got three 120ts from the dreaded Botach for about $85 each and i'm glad I did. They are great. I use a Nova Tac as my EDC and also have them mounted on my carbines. Push and hold is momentary and will not lock the light on. The light goes off when you release the clicky. These lights are built like tanks and are perfect for use indoors. Here is my EDC in a kydex holster from Kytex Shooting Gear.

EDCLightonBelt.jpg

NovaTacHolsterfrombottom.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

From kytexgear.com, it was made for a Surefire 6P but works fine with a 1" light. I cut mine down to fit my light. My Surefire days are over.

kytexgearlightholstervertical.jpg

I have always carried Surefires, love the scout lights for weapons, love the x300s for pistols. I bought 5 6P LED's for my family for Xmas one year.
I am now carrying smaller lights on my belt. I have the Olight titanium transformer. It is a single AA or single 123 powered light. It comes with two sections that you can screw on/off .One that fits the AA and one that fits the 123, its small and bright and being able to use either battery is great since we seem to run out of 123's all the time.

Everyday I look there are more and more options and things get more and more confusing sometimes. I've ordered the Sunwayman t20c, but I am still waiting for it....almost 2 weeks now. When that issue is resolved, then I'm going to look at others for possibilities.

A quick review of the sunwayman t20c. Finally got it. Nice looking finish and nice looking packaging. Came with cr123 standard 3v batts, so that's what its running on now. Will switch to rcr123 3.7v batts when they die and will eventually run 18650's in the end. Fits in my left pocket perfectly, which is good. Has a decent lanyard and a screw on anti-roll piece (sorry no better way to describe it). Simple push button 4 mode operation. Forward click on/off plus momentary on. Comes on in last mode used. Once on, simply push and hold button in to change modes from low, med, high. While on double tap button for strobe and again to turn off. 438 lumens, probably at the emitter, but a lot of light really for a 5" flashlight. I compared it to my single cr123 nitecore sr3 last night, 220 max lumens, and there is a noticeable difference. Decent throw and lights up a room completely! Too much for inside on high. So far runtime been pretty good, but only on night 2 with it. Overall a pretty darn good and eady to use light. Haven't used it in a high stress sit yet, so no info there as far as complexity at that point. Thanks for the info on all the other lights and I've got some of those written down for future reference. Thanks, Jason

The Sunwayman's will be outperformed by the Eagletac p20's and t20's latest versions, 4Sevens, and Jetbeam.

You said you use strobe function a lot. I'd stick with the Olights newest X versions of the M20 etc.

Also - the Jetbeam BC40 is a great and easy to transition between hi and med.

4sevens 123x2 turbo x or turbo are good choices, also the S12 might be a monster........and rechargeable.

Rechargeable is the way to go for 18650s or 26650s

Inova T4 lithium ion: rechargeable, 3 light modes + strobe......AC & DC charger...whats not to like?

I use a Fenix TK15 with rechargeable 18650 battery. It has 4 separate brightness modes, strobe crenelated bezel, and it will be just under your price point.

I've had the strobe save my, and other cops ass' at an out of control house party. So I definitely must have the feature even if i dont use it every tour.

The only downside of the light is that holster options are limited.

Streamlight tlr 1 if your on a budget

Surefire x300 if your not.

The surefire is smaller and brighter and I have never had a single problem with any of my surefire lights

I'm pretty happy with the sunwayman at this point. The strobe is fast, but effective. Just ask the guy that I arrested over the weekend! He didn't know where we were at in the residence by his own admission. Its held up well so far and is still running on the original cr123 batts that came with it. I've been using it on patrol for a couple weeks now and its been my main light. Everybody that's seen it has liked it. Got another officer, who's Streamlight just bit the dust and pretty sure he's gonna order the eagletac t20cp mkII, so we'll see how they compare.

I am going to suggest you look at rechargeable tac lights.

I work at night. If I used a CR123 powered light as my primary I would need to work overtime to pay for the batteries.

I currently use a Streamlight SL35. It's powerful and built like a tank. I keep the charger in my car and if I have a particularly long evening I can drop it back into the charger and get a boost. The SL35 is a big light, but the size allows me to tuck it under my arm and keep my hands free. The size and weight also allow it to be used extremely effectively as an improvised impact weapon when needed.

I keep a Surefire G2Z LED conversion on my belt. I keep a Surefire L2 in my bag as a backup. They are great lights and work when needed, but the SL35 works better for general patrol.

I also use Streamlight, the model is Protac 2L. I also carried 3 sets of spare AAA batteries and 2 sets of CR123A batteries in special containers. Protac's high light output is 350 lumens, low light output is 30 lumens, and it has a strobe light. High run time is 3.25 hours and low run time is 35 hours. Last year, I was in a hotel in Hawaii, and suddenly the hotel's power was off. A little after 5 in the morning, it was dark. I took out a flashlight, set the other flashlight as a reflector, and used it as an illuminator for the entire room.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Make sure it's rechargable, you'll go broke buying batteries if you work alot of nights.

Battery Junction.
I buy the CR123 s a hundred at a time. About a third of what you’d pay per battery at retail stores.

Take a look at the Streamlight Pro-TAC HL for a uniform backup light. Low/high/strobe. It does make a person close their eyes or look away on High or Stobe. I carried one for the last 5-6 years as my primary in suits and plainclothes executive protection details. Very handy size for a back uniform pocket or plainclothes suit coat pocket. Olight S1 Baton as backup for plainclothes. The Baton now has a rechargeable option.

The SL20 and later SL 20x were workhorses for patrol duties. Hard to beat for durability. For me, much easier to tuck under an arm during field interviews than the smaller lights available now.

My first city-issue flashlight was a two D-cell RayOVac corrugated steel body with a pitiful incandescent bulb. S&W Model 15 .38 and a Winchester 1897 .12 gauge pump. Times sure have changed since 1977.

You guys stay safe.

lol, i was wondering about the bulb requirement. the date explains that lol