• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Duty pistol, could use some advice

jv101

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Medina,Ohio
Hey everyone, been a while!

Well here is the story, I am going to be starting police academy soon and would like to pick up a side arm to both use in academy and have fun with on my own time, possibly carry my own. I am looking at possibly a 9mm as its cheaper to shoot, but may also be considering a 45!

I have been looking at the following models:
-Springfield XDM
-SigSauer P220
-HK USP
-FNP USG or FNX

Looking for something very accurate, reliable, durable and wont completely break the bank. (will pay for quality, but I dont need a 1600 side arm!)

Thanks all!

Re: Duty pistol, could use some advice

Glock 19 fits all of those requirements and it's small enough to effectively carry concealed with a proper holster. Don't get wrapped around the axle on the 9mm vs. 45ACP debate. No handgun round is great. Buy lots of ammo and seek proper training and PRACTICE what you learn.

I have a USP and it is a big pistol. It is even bigger in .45acp. I would look at a Glock 19 but if you only want one of the choices you put on your thread I would probably get the Sig.

I am open to suggestions. I have never really looked into glocks much. I am not worry about concealing it, but dont need to be carrying a cannon around!

I know both 9mm and 45 are great rounds, I am really looking at going 9mm as its much cheaper to shoot!

I'm a 1911 addict, but for a working gun I would go with a Glock. As mentioned in a previous post, if you get the mid sized model you can likely use it as a carry weapon as well. I use a G26 for carry, but I had to grind off the hump in the backstrap to make the grip angle more like a 1911.

If you want to stick with those on your list, you might want to add the S&W M&P.

All those are nice and would serve you well. I would also add Glock and Smith Wesson M&P series to the list. Get the one that feels the best to you.

Like someone already said the size of the Glock 19 makes it good for off duty carry. I have a G23, same size as the G19, as I like the 40 cal.

I would chose a caliber 9mm, 357sig, 40S&W, and 45ACP based on what your local LE department which you plan on working for uses. That might help with the cost of ammo. All of those calibers with proper defense ammo preform well. 40S&W is so common now with the majority of LE and with civilians that the cost is not much higher than 9mm. I really like the 357sig, good penetration. Most HP 50 rnd LE defense loads such as Winchester Ranger T and Federal HST are the same price in 9mm or 40. Your FMJ Target rounds are about 2-3 dollars more per 50 in 40 cal at wal-mart. 45 is about 6 dollars more per 50 in FMJ target rounds.

I like the sig 220, but the downside is having to carry so many mags. I personally like the sig 226 in 9mm. As stated above you need to see what agencies around you issue, or allow you to carry.

Look at what other officers in the department are carrying, it would be really bad to be in a fire fight and need a mag or another in need and have to unload then load.

Both NW1911 and 427 Cobra offered some sound advice. Make sure your agency does not have a specific criteria for the type of duty weapon you are going to carry, as well as the ammo to be carried. Carrying something that your fellow squad mates also carry could be the difference between life and death should the SHTF. If you need to provide your own leather gear, you may want to find out what options are out there, in terms of retention holsters, ability to keep a lights attached to the weapon while in the holster, mag holders etc. If your agency mandates a Level III retention holster, you may be out of luck with some makes of weapons. The ability to find spare parts and armorers, should play a part, in case your weapon goes down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you checked to see what the department allows? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at what other officers in the department are carrying, it would be really bad to be in a fire fight and need a mag or another in need and have to unload then load. </div></div>

And throwing the Sig P226 Tac Ops, or Elite, in as a suggestion.

Jack

Tough to go wrong with a Sig. I've carried the 228, 229 .40, and 220 as primary duty guns, 232 and 239 9mm as BUG/off-duty, and shot the 226 9mm in IDPA/USPSA. I finally settled on a 226R in .40 that I customized with the following features:
-E2 grip module
-Short Reset trigger
-TruGlo TFO sights
-Mec Gar 15rd mags
-Streamlight TLR1 light

I carry it in a Safariland SLS/ALS level 3 holster on duty and stick with my 239 off-duty. You could do a lot worse than 16 rounds of .40 in an accurate, reliable package.

I would absolutely make sure that there is not a dictated sidearm that you have to use. Most departments mandate and supply a firearm to there officers. I would make sure that this is not the case before I purchase anything. Then I would consider what most officers are carrying and go with the same model and caliber for reasons stated above. I would absolutely put GLOCK on your list as they just freaking work all the time. From your choices listed, I would go with the xdm, but that is just my opinion. Sigs are nice guns as well. Either way, go with something that is absolutely dependable and will function in any situation. As you never know where you'll find yourself when you need the firearm! It must operate in any and all conditions that happen where you live. It needs to be simple to operate and I would prefer not having mess with a safety when under extreme stress, as your due motor skills deteriorate badly with extreme stress. Above all practice, practice, practice! I don't mean just standing in front of a Target and shooting either. Practice moving and using simulated cover, or real cover as its probably not in your best interest to stand there and shoot back. You will perform as you train. Also practice the presentation from holster to Target, so your not way behind as you enter the fight. I personally prefer the 40SW. More knock down than the 9, but faster the the 45. Best of both worlds really. Keep in mind though, if everybody else carries a 40 and you have a 9.....well when you're out, then you're out!

Stormshadow made a great point. we all know how important it is to purchase the "right" gun, but very few people stop to consider what holsters and accessories are available. And then, to further complicate matters, we sometimes want to add a tactical light or laser which makes holster selection that much more difficult. Often our favorite gun/light combo has no good holster choices - especially for duty holsters! Think about the whole package before you spend a bunch of your hard earned cash.

George P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All those are nice and would serve you well. I would also add Glock and Smith Wesson M&P series to the list. Get the one that feels the best to you. </div></div>
Go to a local range that rents handguns, or find some friends that have firearms that you are considering. Shoot the guns, then decide.

Kevin

I've been looking at doing the same thing. I checked with the local departments and its a pretty short list. They also don't allow 9mm. So definitely check first, then get what fits your hand. I have very large hands and really like the m&p and the fnp.

Perhaps a rephrasing of the question so as to get answers from sources that have experience in the area you are asking about.

Many of the posters above probably are in fact officers, some, likely are not. Would you want to take advice on what open class IPSC pistol to buy from a guy who has no experience shooting IPSC?

Some responses were right on the money by the way. Unless you are "self sponsoring", (provided that is an option in your state) check with your agency and see if you will be issued a weapon or are expected to provide one.

If you are expected to provide one, I am quite sure there will likely be an "approved list".

That would be a smart place to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It needs to be simple to operate and I would prefer not having mess with a safety when under extreme stress, as your due motor skills deteriorate badly with extreme stress. </div></div>

That's a training issue. Not once have I ever "forgotten" to disengage the thumb safety on a 1911. Perhaps it's because it's now so ingrained in me that it's pretty much second nature. If that is the case, then we can blame the thousands of rounds per year that I used to shoot. That same safety may just save your life if someone gets the gun away from you and have to take time to figure the thing out.

You're correct in the training, but one thing most people don't take into account is that the body does weird things under stress. Just look at how you shoot. Statistics say that you'll shoot at least 50% worse under extreme stress, such as a critical defense shooting situation. I'm just saying that if you're not used to shooting a pistol with a safety then you may want to go with something that's familiar to you already. If your gun is taken from you, well you're probably nut going to survive anyhow, which in your words is another training issue! Look at statistics and remember that what I can do you may not be able to and vice versa. We're not all the same and not everything that workable for you will work for me. So in trying to recommend something for somebody, I try to keep an open mind and nut just say that this is this because it works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're correct in the training, but one thing most people don't take into account is that the body does weird things under stress. Just look at how you shoot. Statistics say that you'll shoot at least 50% worse under extreme stress, such as a critical defense shooting situation. I'm just saying that if you're not used to shooting a pistol with a safety then you may want to go with something that's familiar to you already. If your gun is taken from you, well you're probably nut going to survive anyhow, which in your words is another training issue! Look at statistics and remember that what I can do you may not be able to and vice versa. We're not all the same and not everything that workable for you will work for me. So in trying to recommend something for somebody, I try to keep an open mind and nut just say that this is this because it works for me. </div></div>

Got it. Making sure. Admittedly, I've put more .45ACP from a 1911 down range than the average bear, though by USPSA standards, I'd be a rank amateur. So, for me, the thumb safety is automatic. If someone shoots and/or handles the gun twice a year, yeah, they need to consider. As far as losing control of the firearm, how many cops a year are shot with their own sidearms? And a number of them are trained. Shit happens, and while it's good to have training in retention and disarmament, it's not a guarantee. I think we're in agreement overall here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tennessean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 19 fits all of those requirements and it's small enough to effectively carry concealed with a proper holster. Don't get wrapped around the axle on the 9mm vs. 45ACP debate. No handgun round is great. Buy lots of ammo and seek proper training and PRACTICE what you learn. </div></div>

Wow. That is pretty much a perfect answer to such a common question.

My agency issued Glock 22s to us. I bought my own though so I could do a grip job and put Heine night sights on it. My departments policy was Glock .40 cal. Like others said, check with your department

As an officer I would suggest Glock, either 22 or 17. Reasons being- ease of use, no safety to worry about, reliability, ease of maintenance, availability of parts and accessories, and high magazine capacity.

I have always been a .40 or .45 guy, but in a recent Firearms Instructor course I went through one instructor gave a good argument for the Glock 17, all these included but the main point being magazine capacity.

Glock is not the sexiest or fanciest gun out there but it works.

All modern pistols are accurate... some guys just suck with certain ones due to poor trigger control and claim they are not accurate. so aside from that have you considered a pistol chambered in .40 S&W ? thats what most law enforcement are carrying these days. if your open to the idea id highly recommend a 3rd gen Glock 23 or 22... but if your stuck on those calibers id recommend the 19 or 17 which is a 9mm.

Glock 23

You can buy a 9mm barrel for it if you like. You can get a 357sig barrel. It is more compact than its big brother the 22, but every bit as shootable. It also takes its big brother magazines for higher cap backup mags...they just stick out a little.

Look no further than Glock.

Don't over look a 1911 .

Yeah they have a safety yes you need to take it off . No you will not forget to disengage it .

Yeah they don't hold 15 round's but if you have not sorted out your problem with the 10 rounds a 1911 in 9mm holds you are not going to by flinging another 5 down range .

For me I just like the 1911 it works , you need to go and handle a few pistols and see what you like .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 23

You can buy a 9mm barrel for it if you like. You can get a 357sig barrel. It is more compact than its big brother the 22, but every bit as shootable. It also takes its big brother magazines for higher cap backup mags...they just stick out a little.

Look no further than Glock. </div></div>

For a duty pistol he is probably not going to be allowed to change a factory barrel out to another caliber. If I was to carry it, I would leave the factory barrel in anyway, cause it just works!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 23

For a duty pistol he is probably not going to be allowed to change a factory barrel out to another caliber. If I was to carry it, I would leave the factory barrel in anyway, cause it just works! </div></div>

yeah i never understood the barrel swap BS... if you want a 9mm then get the 19... they arent more accurate that you will ever notice when shooting it.. all you will gain is a more expensive gun thats reliability has been tampered with. only two mods required for a duty pistol glock are a $3 wide frame factory mag release like a .45 caliber glock of some sort (extended mag release) and some metal sights of your choice. i recommend glock factory night sights. they carry the glock name and are basic and rugged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 23

For a duty pistol he is probably not going to be allowed to change a factory barrel out to another caliber. If I was to carry it, I would leave the factory barrel in anyway, cause it just works! </div></div>

yeah i never understood the barrel swap BS... if you want a 9mm then get the 19... they arent more accurate that you will ever notice when shooting it.. all you will gain is a more expensive gun thats reliability has been tampered with. only two mods required for a duty pistol glock are a $3 wide frame factory mag release like a .45 caliber glock of some sort (extended mag release) and some metal sights of your choice. i recommend glock factory night sights. they carry the glock name and are basic and rugged.

</div></div>

Obviously, no department is going to allow aftermarket barrels, much less non-deparment caliber ones. However, he may practice with any caliber of his choosing...a nice benefit when your duty caliber is 40, and you can hit the range hard with 9mm and shoot more rounds for the dollar.

Aftermarket barrels are not "BS". I have 2 or 3 aftermarket barrels for each glock I own (all lone wolf), and have NEVER had a malfunction ....and LW barrels are the cheapest!

All that said, I agree that when carrying a CCW pistol, it's best to have an OEM barrel in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 23

</div></div>

Obviously, no department is going to allow aftermarket barrels, much less non-deparment caliber ones. However, he may practice with any caliber of his choosing...a nice benefit when your duty caliber is 40, and you can hit the range hard with 9mm and shoot more rounds for the dollar.

Aftermarket barrels are not "BS". I have 2 or 3 aftermarket barrels for each glock I own (all lone wolf), and have NEVER had a malfunction ....and LW barrels are the cheapest!

All that said, I agree that when carrying a CCW pistol, it's best to have an OEM barrel in it. </div></div>

what i mean by BS is you gain nothing by changing out the barrel for another one in the same caliber. perhaps reliability will turn out just the same?... but perhaps it wont... if it aint broke dont fix it. and having a 9mm barrel for your .40 glock saves you all of 5 bucks per 100 rounds... so youll need to shoot thousands of rounds to break even on your money saving caliber conversion. id much rather just have two guns if i feel the need to shoot 9mm to save money. also it might not seem like a big difference but going from shooting 9mm to .40 has a pretty significant change in recoil that if your use to the 9mm through training the .40 with throw you off beat when its go time. especially considering youll go from shooting low recoil FMJ 9mm in training to heavy recoil HP .40 rounds when its the real deal. and thats a huge difference in recoil. you might aswell just train with 22lr.

This. I shoot the 19 more accurately than anything "custom" I own. If it fits your hand...you'll be amazed!

Check with your department and see what they run, best to get one where they already have the ammo. Glock 17 or 22, depending on what is common in the dept. Note: If you wait, you can get a LEO discount on a Glock, I also believe that Sig and others run a similar program, it will have significant bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check with your department and see what they run, best to get one where they already have the ammo. Glock 17 or 22, depending on what is common in the dept. Note: If you wait, you can get a LEO discount on a Glock, I also believe that Sig and others run a similar program, it will have significant bucks. </div></div>

Almost any new Glock including gen 3 or 4, except the 34 & 35 competition guns, can be had for 475 if you are law enforcement, retired LE, military, a veteran, or first responder (fire/medic). Just have to show some credentials at a participating dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

what i mean by BS is you gain nothing by changing out the barrel for another one in the same caliber. perhaps reliability will turn out just the same?... but perhaps it wont... if it aint broke dont fix it. and having a 9mm barrel for your .40 glock saves you all of 5 bucks per 100 rounds... so youll need to shoot thousands of rounds to break even on your money saving caliber conversion. id much rather just have two guns if i feel the need to shoot 9mm to save money. also it might not seem like a big difference but going from shooting 9mm to .40 has a pretty significant change in recoil that if your use to the 9mm through training the .40 with throw you off beat when its go time. especially considering youll go from shooting low recoil FMJ 9mm in training to heavy recoil HP .40 rounds when its the real deal. and thats a huge difference in recoil. you might aswell just train with 22lr. </div></div>

So your point is that a second $500 gun is a more cost effective way to save money than a $100 barrel? Interesting.

Many folks, myself included, fire tens of thousands of rounds yearly so $5/box is legitimate.

9mm, of course, has yes recoil than 40...but training is TRAINING. I'm confident most folks would agree that for duty training, 9mm is far more representative and worthwhile than 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah they don't hold 15 round's but if you have not sorted out your problem with the 10 rounds a 1911 in 9mm holds you are not going to by flinging another 5 down range. </div></div>

Please, OP and everyone else - don't listen to bullshit advice like this. More ammo is better. Period. Bad guys - like you - don't want to get shot. They may not stand still, they might seek cover, and they may not fall over dead if you shoot them. In fact, them falling over dead is relatively rare. Oh - and they sometimes have friends. Maybe more than one. Their friends may not want to get shot, they may not stand still, and they may take cover. They might absorb several bullets. Hell - all of these people might actually shoot back at you - they may have shot you first. They may not go by the plan in your head of how you think a gunfight might go. They tend to be rude like that - and they may not know what your script is, so they tend to ad-lib a lot. Bastards.

If you have a choice of more bullets or less, go with more. The size of the bullets is irrelevant as long as you are using good ammo. 1911s and Sig P220's are more expensive than a 9mm glock or m&p, they have less capacity, and are generally less reliable. They are harder to fix, have fewer holsters available for them, mags are more expensive, oh - and they hold half the number of bullets in the same size package.

There is a reason that the 1911 and Sig P220 don't own the LE market. Choose wisely. There might be a reason the vast majority of LE carries a certain gun and caliber combo - and it really isn't the conjectured crap about that one company or other gives them away. If you do the work, you can learn to shoot just about any quality pistol well.

Whatever you get - practice a lot. Practice well, and pay attention to your fundamentals.

Again - choose wisely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

what i mean by BS is you gain nothing by changing out the barrel for another one in the same caliber. perhaps reliability will turn out just the same?... but perhaps it wont... if it aint broke dont fix it. and having a 9mm barrel for your .40 glock saves you all of 5 bucks per 100 rounds... so youll need to shoot thousands of rounds to break even on your money saving caliber conversion. id much rather just have two guns if i feel the need to shoot 9mm to save money. also it might not seem like a big difference but going from shooting 9mm to .40 has a pretty significant change in recoil that if your use to the 9mm through training the .40 with throw you off beat when its go time. especially considering youll go from shooting low recoil FMJ 9mm in training to heavy recoil HP .40 rounds when its the real deal. and thats a huge difference in recoil. you might aswell just train with 22lr. </div></div>

So your point is that a second $500 gun is a more cost effective way to save money than a $100 barrel? Interesting.

Many folks, myself included, fire tens of thousands of rounds yearly so $5/box is legitimate.

9mm, of course, has yes recoil than 40...but training is TRAINING. I'm confident most folks would agree that for duty training, 9mm is far more representative and worthwhile than 22.
</div></div>

Federal is only 2 dollars a box of 50 difference at wal-mart.
When swapping the barrel the 9mm does not eject like intended because the extractor is different. Ok for the range only I suppose, but not for defense. If I am going to carry 40, I will practice with 40. If I am going to carry 10mm practicing with 40 will be different.

The 40 recoil to some is snappier, and if they have done thousands of follow up shots with 9mm, when they go to the 40 it might take longer to get back on target.

For fun, there's nothing wrong with a conversion barrel, but I would practice with the 40 more if that's what I was carrying.

9mm is also a great round, so if you want cheaper practice just go with the 9mm to begin with.

I've carried:

Glock 21
Glock 19
Glock 30
Colt S80 1911
Sig P220
S&W M&P 9

I switch things up from time to time, but I continually come back to the P220 and my 1911 because the single stack 45 is comfortable, accurate, and its a setup that I shoot very well. I shoot the others well, but I feel that I'm not as accurate as I'm capable of being with some of the others.

The Glock trigger is pretty unsexy without any work. The S8W despite my best efforts with different backstraps, grip tape, and stipling, jumps around in my hand and affects the speed of my follow up shots and the accuracy as well.

Bottom line, try many, pick one that works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

yes spending the extra $400 dollars to have 2 guns rather then one is worth it to me. and for example when i train with my .40 i shoot the 185 grain winchester white box to get the most recoil i can out of the cheap target rounds. even the difference between the 185's and the 165's is very noticeable. and id say the 165's have around 35-45% less recoil then the Self defense HP's i shoot. 9mm to me isnt even a realistic option to train myself to shoot a load with way more recoil. thus why i said you might aswell shoot 22lr... because i wouldnt consider shooting either of them for training on a totally different animal. you cant train for nascar in a geo metro and then show up on race day ready to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Federal is only 2 dollars a box of 50 difference at wal-mart.
When swapping the barrel the 9mm does not eject like intended because the extractor is different. Ok for the range only I suppose, but not for defense. If I am going to carry 40, I will practice with 40. If I am going to carry 10mm practicing with 40 will be different.

The 40 recoil to some is snappier, and if they have done thousands of follow up shots with 9mm, when they go to the 40 it might take longer to get back on target.

For fun, there's nothing wrong with a conversion barrel, but I would practice with the 40 more if that's what I was carrying.

9mm is also a great round, so if you want cheaper practice just go with the 9mm to begin with.

</div></div>

My thoughts exactly...

its been awhile since ive been on here as ive been frequenting xdtalk forums. i just purchased a xdm .45 4.5" and all though i have only 56 rds thru it the gun has been flawless. its a great weapon and i would trust my life with this weapon 100%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many of the posters above probably are in fact officers, some, likely are not. Would you want to take advice on what open class IPSC pistol to buy from a guy who has no experience shooting IPSC? </div></div>

I'd be reluctant to take advice from anyone who uses this as a hypothetical, since there is indeed no such thing as "Open class IPSC."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many of the posters above probably are in fact officers, some, likely are not. Would you want to take advice on what open class IPSC pistol to buy from a guy who has no experience shooting IPSC? </div></div>

I'd be reluctant to take advice from anyone who uses this as a hypothetical, since there is indeed no such thing as "Open class IPSC." </div></div>

Open class USPSA.

Since we are talking here in the U.S. where IPSC and USPSA are pretty much one and the same, I sure am glad you pointed that out there genius..

Yup, local store sells them for $389 + 3 high cap mags to LEO/MIL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many of the posters above probably are in fact officers, some, likely are not. Would you want to take advice on what open class IPSC pistol to buy from a guy who has no experience shooting IPSC? </div></div>

I'd be reluctant to take advice from anyone who uses this as a hypothetical, since there is indeed no such thing as "Open class IPSC." </div></div>

Open class USPSA.

Since we are talking here in the U.S. where IPSC and USPSA are pretty much one and the same, I sure am glad you pointed that out there genius..

</div></div>

There is no such thing as "Open class USPSA" either.

Classes in USPSA are D, C, B, A, Master, and Grandmaster.

Like I said, I'd be very reluctant to take any advice from someone who obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

IPSC matches occur throughout the world, including the U.S., so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, other than to shove your foot further into your mouth.

Nor can I make any connection to the title, which is about duty weapons.

I have carried Sigs, 1911's, and Glocks and I have to say that the Glock is by far the choice for me and I trust my life with it. I carry a model 22 on duty and a 26 when in plain clothes. You can't go wrong with the Glock platform. I have to say that the S&W M&P is also a good platform. If you go with a Sig then go with the 220 but that's where it ends. Stay away from H&K, they are pretty but a pain in the ass to get parts for and repair especially if you are putting the right amount of rounds through your weapon in training to be proficient on the streets.

I've carried a Sig P220, but came back to my Glock after about a year. I just shoot it better and I like the larger capacity. Our policy requires us to provide our duty weapon, but allows a broad range of calibers and brands. I carry a .45 caliber Glock and back it up with a .38 special S&W or a G26.

Unless you have smaller than average hands, I would stay away from the midsize Glocks. I have big hands,and the 19 or 23 just don't feel right to me.

Evvey one here failed to note the bvious:

Real Cops carry revolvers

Model%2028.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Evvey one here failed to note the bvious:

Real Cops carry revolvers

Model%2028.JPG
</div></div>

Hmm, at my Dept. only real OLD cops carry revolvers!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, at my Dept. only real OLD cops carry revolvers!</div></div>

That's how they got to be OLD