• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dyna-bore coat???

Re: dyna-bore coat???

I've talked with a few guys who have done this stuff and all have had great feeling about it. I haven't jumped on the band wagon just yet, but it sounds like a great product.

xdeano

Well i just ordered a kit of the stuff. I should be getting it here by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know how it works or if it's a waste of money. I've got a 22-250 that is a bad copper fowler. I'll put it to the test.

xdeano

I have done most of my long guns. I recently moved from hawaii and saw stainless guns rusting due to the high humidity and salt air. Not a single spec of rust in any of the blued or stainless barrels treated with the stuff. My .243 went over 800 rounds between cleanings with no loss of accuracy and only the tiniest trace of copper on the jag when cleaned with boretech eliminator. The only reason I cleaned it was because I felt guilty when I saw a little volcano of carbon hanging off of the crown under the muzzle brake.

I have a little over 1400 rounds through a .223 tikka and its still holding about .7moa. When perfectly clean it hovers around .5-.6moa depending on my coffee level.

I just cleaned and applied dyna bore on a 22-250. Ill cure it and shoot it here when i get a chance. Then ill clean it and give you an accuracy check.
Xdeano

I've been running it in several rifles for some time now. All I can say is that it did not affect accuracy from the start and none of the barrels have needed cleaning yet to restore accuracy.

My 300WSM is approaching 700 rds and is still 1/2 moa...normally I would have seen it start to fall off a little by the time I have that many rounds.

Once the accuracy goes on that rifle, the carbon is a bugger to clean out of the throat so will see if that changes or not.

I would rather shoot than clean so I figured for $50 buck...why not try it.

update..

after 600 down the 260 with no cleaning, it still shot .5

after clean with kg12, it had zero copper
and the carbon came out in seconds....

Thanks for the update Ring....good to hear it is working well for you.

Just came across your old post from 6-30-2012 while trying to research Dyna Bore Coat. Would really like to hear how it has worked for you long term.
Thanks LM

I started using it after John Barsness, the gunwriter, recommended it for the various reasons the other posters have stated. I did a .223 and .22-250 after cleaning both of them thoroughly. Both have let me shoot well over 250 rounds through each without cleaning. Then the OCD in me just wouldn't let me continue without cleaning. But, I like it and will continue to use it.

The stuff just plain works. It won't increase accuracy or velocity but it does decrease copper fouling. Larger bored over .30 might need more cure time (ie more shots fired) or a second application.

It is made from Poly methyl-silazane, basically it is a polymer that was first discovered in the 1960's and has been used in many types of anti graffiti and easy to clean coatings for windows and auto paints.