• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing E. Cohen, Dakota Scimitar 260 Medium Tac Build

Re: E. Cohen, Dakota Scimitar 260 Medium Tac Build

The encouragement and compliments are well received and deeply appreciated. A big thanks to everyone for that.

I never in a million years imaged this lone thread would break 10K views.

It's a record for me. Pretty cool. I imagine the Hide enjoys the traffic as well.

Hopefully the gun performs at the range. I'm optimistic. The owner spared no expense on component selection and everything went together extremely well. The success of this rifle build is in large part due to the owner. Doc's patience and the long leash (to the point of being blind faith) evolved into an opportunity to explore things that we'd not done before. The scope turret solution being probably the most popular, but for me personally it was solving the problem of directional ports on the brakes. To do it efficiently and have it adapt to any action/barrel combination was my goal and I think I got away with it. Time will tell. . .

The snow outside is wet/sticky as the sun beats on it. I just got my workout with my snowblower tackling a 3' drift across my parking lot (note to self, buy a damn plow/4 wheeler)

Hopefully we'll be able to get to the range over the weekend. I've got a small gaggle of guns to get shot/shipped now.

Again, thanks for the support. It's a great way to kick 2013 in the balls.

More to come.

C.

The rifle looks great!

Chad's been terrific to work with; in fact, we're still at it. I had sent him a NF and a set of rings (currently on the rifle)that I took off a large frame AR. Obviously the rings worked for that but are a bit too high for this setup. We're going to replace them with lower rings and will re-shoot the camo.

I hate to add more time to the build (not to mention adding more work for Chad) but that seems to be the right thing to do given all we've put in.

Chad just said "no problem."

I can't ask for more.

Doc

We got the bolt issue resolved. Come to discover it was a two faceted problem.

The ejector is mechanical style for this action. The surface of the part that contacts the bolt body was pretty rough. Polishing it up helped a bunch. Additionally I had goofed and installed the wrong spring. It was coil binding right above where it gets pushed down so that the bolt can run. This was where the majority of the "stickies" came from. We coated the bolt again anyway just because of the burnishing the ejector left on the underside.

Now it runs like a chit through a milk fed goose.

Gassing up bulletz this am so that we can go get stuck out at the range!

C.

Amazing work Chad.
Always taking it to another level.
Keep it up.

My personal fav, after seeing this baby in person last week...was the custom built adjustable butt plate.
I have the Tubbs 4 Possition on my T5A and Chads design looks as if it was purpose built specifically to mate with a seamless transition. BECAUSE IT WAS.
Mine just looks goofy now after seeing how much better this thing fits by comparison.
This rifle is a work of art. This butt plate is just another example of an unwillingness to compromise.

DSC_0150-1.jpg

Nice work again, Chad! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Dangit boy, you still da man. I know you get tired of hearing that.
smile.gif

Shot it this afternoon in 20F weather as the sun was duckin below the west slope of the canyon.

Its a chootah once you get used to no recoil and barrel mirage making the tgt dance all over the place. 1st 5 were shaky, then it settled down and started printin nice.

Soon as the rings come in she's a gonner!

Gnite,

C.

Wow! Chad takes it to another level, it's not a rifle ifs art! Good job to the whole crew at long rifles!

Thanks to all for the support. New rings were fitted up Friday. Doc, I think were there. Making a trip to pick up the case today, then she's gone .

Bummer, kinda liked having this one loiter around in the shop. It sure attracted attention.

Taking orders, let's build another one!

C.

Whoo Hoo (to quote a famous gunsmith).

Now if it'll ever warm up in the mountains of Northern AZ I might even get a chance to shoot it.

Another indeed; got a couple of thoughts.

We've also got to get you out here for a visit; lots of land for long range shooting and some great Mexican food.

Regards, E

I have seen Chads work before and it was just immaculate. One day...............

Total insanity. Picked ip my rifle today! Came in a big ol Pelican case, wrapped to a fair-the-well.

It looks fabulous; the pictures don't do it justice. Fit and finish are terrific and the action is like a bank vault.

If the weather holds I'll stat wringing it out this weekend. Hope to have some pictures and some comments after that.

Dammit... keyboard is sticky now... Thanks Chad....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc,

Weathers lookin good for you,shootin this weekend right!?

weather they like it or not

</div></div>

You bet. Between weather, call, the usual crap of life I've just not been able to get to the range.

I told my wife that the new rifle and I have a date this weekend and nothing's gonna get in the way (famous last words).

I made one change to the setup: put a Long Range Accuracy Tactical Bi-pod on, replacing the Atlas. I'm curious to see how lowering the COG affects stability (should work well). That was prompted by my experience replacing the GG&G on a GAP with an Atlas; the lower "less spindly" Atlas made a noticeable difference.

looking forward to the shoot and some pictures to post.

Best, Doc

all i can say is awesome. the mounting the mag guide and release to the action itself should improve feeding and jig for the muzzle break is something else. but something is killing me, how does it eject? saw pics of barrel but never saw them of the bolt face and you say no cut outs. so using AR type?

ah ok thanks. had three different ideas on how to do it. now will be able to sleep again.

Manoman, so glad I stumbled across this thread this morning. What a very impressive piece of work!

Oki doke;

The weather broke and I finally got a chance to shoot. The rifle really is outrageous. The stock fits great and is very tweakable due to Chad's cheekpiece and butplate assembly. It will take me some time to sort it out the options. As is obvious the fit and finish are terrific.

Today I shot from a bench to 100yards. I wanted to get my zero and try out two loads: 139 Scenars and 142 SMKs, both from South West Ammo. The rifle seems to like the Scenars better; I had no trouble getting clover leaf groups with them. The SMKs seemed a little less predictable. On the other hand, it's early days yet since the barrel has very few rounds through it (don't know what Chad put through it but I shot 30 or so today).

The Scimitar action is a hoot: locks up like a vault, drops cases at your feet or ten feet away depending on how you rack the bolt, smooth as hell. The bottom metal and mags fit together tightly and that will take a little getting used to. As an aside I really like the TRG mags: they seem easier to load and smoother than the AICs that I have on other rifles.

I also liked the Long Range Accuracy bipod; it's very stable and benefits from the low COG.

I think this will be a really fun rifle to optimize and break in. So far, everything I anticipated.

Here's a pic from today: got more if anyone is interested. I wont post target pics until I get more rounds through the barrel and figure out what ammo I'm going to use

IMG_20130202_124302_276_zps40bc60d6.jpg

Beautiful! Looking forward to more pics! If I had more time before I left town for work, I would beg to check it out.

Excellent work Chad!

I gotta say that the photos we took here in the shop don't do that thing justice.

I sure miss the South West!

Very nice Eric, glad its working well. Thanks for the update phone call today.

C.

Threads such as these , seeing the incredible attention to detail that Chad has for his craft , is why he will be my first choice in the future . Chad has done some threading and recently a full barreled action for me . The work has always come back exceeding my expectations .

To the op , that is one sweet rifle that is going to draw some attention . Congrats!

Thanks for the complement. This build was a real collaboration. I had a notion of what I wanted and Chad had the ability to make and build it. It really is a work of art. And it shoots! Way small groups from bipod and bag.

I won't be able to shoot again for a couple of weeks (call and travel). Will hopefully be able to post some more pics and groups when I can get back at it.

What do you guys think about a sister build in .338 LM?

Yes, she definitely needs a sister.
Chad's build threads are crazy--the custom butt plate, the engraved turrets... congrats on that unique creation.
Build her sister so we can watch them grow!

Gettin close; got the itch though I expect my wife will kill me

OK. Small poll here.

What do I build the sister in? .338LM or .300WM? Or something else.

Realistically, given where I am in life, I'm not likely to shoot all that often at 1500 to 2K yards but can shoot reliably at 1000 pretty much when I want. I don't hunt and am way past my service days so I'm looking to challenge ME at long range. I can shoot AZ ELRPRC where I live. THey go out to 2K not too far from me though I don't know how often I'll Be able to do that. One of my 82 year old patients just won a national Schutzen competition and I'm adopting him as my hero . He says he shoots against himself and against the elements. Like me he's a little too busted up, and a bit too old, to be running tac matches.

I already have fabulous .308s and the .260s you know about. So I'm soliciting suggestions before I hand over the well worn CC to Chad. I figure, if my wife's gonna shoot me over this I need some input from fellow Hiders

Regards and thanks to all who might answer.

I'd go 300 Norma Mag or 338 Norma Mag instead of the 300WM or 338LM

The 300NM has shown itself to be a hot performer at distances from 1500-2000yd and the 338NM is a serious caliber, not quite the thump of the 338LM but all sorts of potential and highly accurate.