• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear plugs

true01

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2014
I am searching for ear plug suggestions. I want to be able to hear conversations around me while shooting. I do not care for ear muffs.

+1 for surefires. Excellent.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading"

-- Unknown

Went to my local ENT doc 10 years ago and had them make a custom set for my ears. Paid maybe $130.00 +-. Can wear them all day with no discomfort whatsoever. Only thing I wear for most of the shooting I do or am around. I still have to put on muffs when I used to help run the range for IPSC when guys were running 38 supers and the like especially with comps. That "pop" was just still uncomfortable without muffs. Hands down some of the best money I ever spend.

I don't like muffs either, and had been using surefire EP3s and EP5s - until I started to notice my right ear ringing a little after shooting. Mind you, I fire, and am around braked (LOUD) rifles.

Then I began using foam rollies "balls deep" in my ears - which solved the ringing but made it impossible to hear range commands or to communicate with a spotter/partner.

Now I use a set of Surefire EP7s with the "port" shut, with a set of Howard Leight "Impact" electronic muffs over them. This way I get extreme protection from rifle shots (25NRR + 22NRR = ~30NRR), but can hear the spotter/partner just fine.

I still don't like muffs, but it works and its better than the other alternatives I've tried.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will have to get some Surefire EP7.

Dont really like muffs with rifle but go plugs and muffs for pistol.

Tried the Surefires and thought "Meh!"

I use a disposable foam rubber now that are rated 32 NRR (for what thats worth). They are cheap to buy in bulk and I toss em when I feel the seal is fading. Just dont buy the cheapest ones though. Buy the better ones and and you will still probably get twenty or more pairs for the cost of Surefires.

For pistol I double to get the protection from concussion that feels like it makes my cranium vibrate. Id use muffs on rifle if I found some that worked with all my stocks but mine wont. I really miss the muffs when a compensated belted magnum is nearby.

One more vote for the Surefire, but I use the EP5's. They don't have the opening to allow you to hear around you, but they provide more protection. I also wear ear muffs over them for extra protection--Seen too many old timers with hearing loss.

I usually at range with a 13 year old boy. Even though he is very responsible, I have to be able to hear him all the time.

The problem is, with a passive ear plug, if you can easily hear people talking around you, you are letting in too much sound in the speech range of frequencies. And soon you will not be able to hear ANYONE speak, with or without your plugs.

Only active devices can let you hear conversations, but reduce the risk of hearing loss.

I don't like muffs either, and had been using surefire EP3s and EP5s - until I started to notice my right ear ringing a little after shooting. Mind you, I fire, and am around braked (LOUD) rifles.

Then I began using foam rollies "balls deep" in my ears - which solved the ringing but made it impossible to hear range commands or to communicate with a spotter/partner.

Now I use a set of Surefire EP7s with the "port" shut, with a set of Howard Leight "Impact" electronic muffs over them. This way I get extreme protection from rifle shots (25NRR + 22NRR = ~30NRR), but can hear the spotter/partner just fine.

I still don't like muffs, but it works and its better than the other alternatives I've tried.

Similar here...I don't like wearing the muffs but using electronic muffs allows me to have foam earplugs in and still hear conversations. The earmuffs amplify sound when talking so you can hear with your earplugs in, then when the shot goes off, it cancels out the blast and you have the double protection of muffs and plugs. It really is a great setup.

Best think I've found. They are worth the money.

How effective are those for cancelling out a braked rifle or 12ga. shotgun? I read the reviews on their site but I'd like to hear more from other users.
My tinnitus is killing lately and I need to save what's left of my hearing.

Had the Surefires and running them unplugged made my ears ring after shooting lots of pistol. Tried them like that ONCE with a braked .308
I'm not too sure of the model as they were a gift and have since been lost.

I run the Howard Leight impact sports right now and need to use foamies under them to cancel my braked guns right now.
Bought them due to all the rave reviews on the web and I hate them.

I called them before I bought them. They said if I could use the large black foam buds that I could get 40 db reduction with them. I am using the large black foam buds and I believe it. I have used 33NR foamies with muffs over them. I think these are better than that. I suffer from tinnitus and my ears would ring louder for a period of time after shooting a match when I was using foamies and muffs. They don't now. They are worth the cost in my opinion.

It is of course important that you get them inserted far enough in to get a good seal.

I have owned mine for 5 weeks. I use the rubber inserts that look similar to the surefire plugs. As Harold stated, they must be seated deep to get a good seal. They have been comfortable enough for me to leave them in for 12+ hours. I've been around braked magnum rifles within close proximity and they have functioned as intended.
I read that the batteries are good for about a month whether or not they are being used (O2 activated). Mine are still working on the first set.
Communication is audible at distance on regular mode. The amplification switch is nice. The blast protection still functioned. Although, if the amplification is used for long periods you may feel a bit deaf when you remove them as your ears will become accustomed to the aided sounds.
Overall I give them a thumbs up. They have all the benefits of an active head set with out the cumbersome bulk and associated sweat.

Thanks guys. I'll be picking some up ASAP.

OP Tinnitus sucks, and pretty good isn't really good enough if you like to shoot a lot.
The surefires worked ok to protect hearing with the inserts plugged in but I wasn't able to here my friends very well.

I am 55 years old, I am a machinery engineer for a major oil company and work in a refinery. I take an audio metric test annually and believe it or not, my hearing is basically the same as when I started in 1982. I do have a slight ringing in my ears for 13 years now, but does not impact the hearing test.

My favorite foam plugs are Howard Leight Lazer Lites, yellow red striped. These roll the best, have an excellent dB reduction and feel good in the ears. When I do use muffs, the IMPACT brand is great, also a Leight product.

I cannot wear the muffs with a rifle, but do wear them when shooting the pistols.

Batteries do last about a month. They are cheap and you can get them at Wal Mart. I ordered a bulk pack on Amazon, so I am set for a long time. No big deal if the batteries run out. They are just ear plugs at that point, but good ones still.