• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear pro recommendation

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Hey all…. I’ve been using a pair Peltor Tactical Pro’s for the past 8 years and they’re finally taking a dive. Aside from being big and heavy, they were excellent. I was blown away at the price of them (mine were issued by PD) and they’re also now discontinued.

I’d like to get another set of “heavy duty” muffs that really drown out the noise. No one close by has anything to sample.

I’m looking at the sordin pro x sfa, which is apparently their highest level of protection, and can find them for $275 online. Does anyone have experience with them?

I never had to double up with the tactical pros, which I liked, but they were also very bulky. I’d prefer to keep that same level of protection if possible.

The Sordins are great. Be sure to get the gel ear cups. I added them to mine and they make them both more comfortable and block out sounds better. I wear them more often than any other ear pro I have.

I will say though that the Pro Ears Gold do a better job with their electronics. With the Sordins I get a hiss/static when I turn the volume up. I don't get any hiss at all with the Pro Ears Gold. I wear the Sordins more because the headband is metal and they are just more comfortable to wear and seem to be built better. The Pro Ears have a lot of plastic and they squeeze my head more, but the sound is definitely better

Reactions: FredHammer
Price no object, Opscore AMP w/ NFMI.
Thanks for reminding me I'm a poor! That's some seriously cool tech, I always struggle with doubling up on ear pro and not being able to hear conversations, even with Sordins

Reactions: Crumbro
Running Sordin Supreme ProX behind the head with Otto noise barriers as the double protection. If I turn the otto on low and the sordins off, I’m not hearing anything unless someone is blasting right next to me and even then it’s super quiet. Turning the sordins on, you can hold a conversation just fine without having to worry about when the next shooter starts.

It’s a great combo for matches and public ranges. Way better than foamies or Surefire plugs under. I can’t afford to lose any more hearing.

Note: I had the sordins first and got the Ottos a few months ago to double up with rather than going OpsCore w/ the plugs. Couldn’t justify sordins just sitting around unused.

Reactions: johnnyvw
I use Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel cups over 1of1 Custom plugs. That tag-team works awesome, I can wear them all day while hearing commands and drive home with no ringing.

Though, I had to send my Sordins back to SRS Tactical for warranty repair semi-recently (SRS is the best, buy Sordins there IMO/BTW) and bought these Walker's which are fantastic as "poor man's Sordin Pro-Xs" or in my case as a backup set. There's like 1000 different versions of the Walker's but these particular "XTRM" ones (with gel cups, and more advanced audio detection) are great (even fit my giant melon better too):

Also, with Black Friday looming, this is the best time of the year for custom plugs: https://1of1custom.com/

Using electronic ear pro (in order to hear commands and shit), if you don't double up, you will go deaf around these guns, period.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
Link? I can't find anything that fits that description on google

It's probably "ESP" and not ASP. But they are basically the same as several brands of hearing aid type of protection out there.

Tac Sport 500’s with 3M gel cups are bomb for the money.

I bought a pair of these a few years ago, they have been excellent at the range:

I also own and use a 10 year old pair of Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel pads. They provide less dampening, but better sound quality, therefore I sue these for hunting:

At the range I supplement both pairs with one-time-use foam earplugs, to bring the combined attenuation to an acceptable level.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister and CK1.0
Using electronic ear pro (in order to hear commands and shit), if you don't double up, you will go deaf around these guns, period.

That's not true at all. In fact, it's actually being pushed recently to not double up so that you actually do hear commands.

OSHA requires double protection when the average decibels is 105 for the entire 8 hour work day. But there is no conclusive evidence and it's basically a "safe than sorry" rule. They also only recommend double protection is the most extreme environments as it isolates the person from other important things (like range commands).

And active (electronic) hearing protection is no less safe than passive.

You can double up all you want for comfort and such or if you want to take a better safe than sorry approach. But you're not "going deaf period" if you don't use plugs with electronic muffs.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.48.09 AM.png

Reactions: PistoleroJesse
Link? I can't find anything that fits that description on google
Sorry I misspelled it. ESP Apex

Double check insurance, they may even cover it. BCBS federal does as well as many unions, public sector, ect.

Even if they didn't some of the best money you can spend on shooting gear. My sordins are loaners now.

According to Osha and all the docs I should have serious hearing damage. Spent years working at sporting clay range as a youth without protection. Spent almost a decade in army shooting all kinda of shit without hearing protection. Been blasted by IEDs and had 50 cals ripped behind me. Around aircraft all the time.

According to last 2 hearing tests...my hearing is almost perfect. One frequency is slightly below normal.

I think some people are just more resistant to hearing damage. Or they are more tuned to resist loud sounds. Who knows.

From a comfort and function perspective the good custom in ears can be worn all day without getting irrirating. You don't get a headache from wearing muffs. You don't have to worry about them getting pushed aside or screwing up cheek weld. Anyone who is even semi serious about shooting should have a pair. Seeing dudes break out a 10k gun with Howard leight garbage is hilarious. Like driving a Ferrari and living in a double wide.

According to Osha and all the docs I should have serious hearing damage. Spent years working at sporting clay range as a youth without protection. Spent almost a decade in army shooting all kinda of shit without hearing protection. Been blasted by IEDs and had 50 cals ripped behind me. Around aircraft all the time.

According to last 2 hearing tests...my hearing is almost perfect. One frequency is slightly below normal.

I think some people are just more resistant to hearing damage. Or they are more tuned to resist loud sounds. Who knows.

From a comfort and function perspective the good custom in ears can be worn all day without getting irrirating. You don't get a headache from wearing muffs. You don't have to worry about them getting pushed aside or screwing up cheek weld. Anyone who is even semi serious about shooting should have a pair. Seeing dudes break out a 10k gun with Howard leight garbage is hilarious. Like driving a Ferrari and living in a double wide.
You must have some extraordinarily robust ear biology to still have perfect hearing after all that.

As for myself, I'll be that guy doubling up with foam plugs and 3M electronic muffs when shooting matches. Turning the muffs up allows me to hear normal conversations while also protecting me from the concussion of braked rifles. Just foam plugs is not enough protection for me. In my experience the foam plugs are the best in ear protection simply because they seal very well to the ear canal.

Do you have any tinnitus at all?

Most of my hearing damage comes from high frequency machinery (turbines/pumps) noise in the Navy. I have hardly ever shot a firearm without earpro (probably less than 20 shots in my entire life) but almost never wore it when in engine/machinery rooms.

I have tinnitus bad.

• Love
Do you have any tinnitus at all?

Most of my hearing damage comes from high frequency machinery (turbines/pumps) noise in the Navy. I have hardly ever shot a firearm without earpro (probably less than 20 shots in my entire life) but almost never wore it when in engine/machinery rooms.

I have tinnitus bad.
Yea I do, sometimes its worse than others. But its not something they can really measure from what I'm told.

I’ve seriously considered Comtac defender V’s. But it seems reviews are limited.

Same as OP, my peltor tac’s were the bee’s knees but died.

These things are pretty legit once you replace the shit ear seals with Walkers gel seals.

That's not true at all. In fact, it's actually being pushed recently to not double up so that you actually do hear commands.

OSHA requires double protection when the average decibels is 105 for the entire 8 hour work day. But there is no conclusive evidence and it's basically a "safe than sorry" rule. They also only recommend double protection is the most extreme environments as it isolates the person from other important things (like range commands).

You can double up all you want for comfort and such or if you want to take a better safe than sorry approach. But you're not "going deaf period" if you don't use plugs with electronic muffs.

View attachment 8278779

Doubling up being "warranted only in extreme noise levels" Mr. Witt is talking about are things like loud factories, mines, and working near jet engines...

...all of which are pussy as fuck when compared to being 10 feet or less from a braked rifle.

Not to mention, OHSA/MSHA and just about anyone else base their findings on A-weighted measurements, usually taken at a fairly meaningless 1000Hz, and do not even take the shockwave/concussion/pressure-change effects of sudden transient sounds on the inner ear into account.

Don't be dumb.

I bought a pair of these a few years ago, they have been excellent at the range:

I also own and use a 10 year old pair of Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel pads. They provide less dampening, but better sound quality, therefore I sue these for hunting:

At the range I supplement both pairs with one-time-use foam earplugs, to bring the combined attenuation to an acceptable level.

A lot of guys don't realize that the single-use foamies are the next best thing to full-on custom silicone plugs. If one doesn't want to spend ~$100 on custom plugs, they can just buy foamies forever (but the custom plugs are far more comfortable for long periods of wear).

Honestly, electronic muffs aren't really ear pro, they're more like what we need to wear over plugs so we can still hear commands and shit, with a few extra dB of reduction as a bonus... but none of them are good enough on their own to prevent lasting hearing damage.

If one won't/can't double-up, the foamies or custom plugs are the ones to go with (or passive NR 30dB muffs, just remember bumping an ear cup has consequences).

Last edited:
What electronic muffs have more than enough amplification that you can clearly hear through foamies?

My Peltor tactical sports aren’t loud enough with foamies.

What electronic muffs have more than enough amplification that you can clearly hear through foamies?

Both the Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs and also the Walker XTRMs are loud enough (FWIW I crank the Sordin's, the Walker's are as loud or may be louder).

Reactions: DeadFox
I think the Sordins are overrated. I have a pair of the Supreme Pro x with Gel Cups. I always wear foam plugs as well and my ears are still ringing from 2 days ago when I shot my rifle and handgun. I previously used the Impact Sport and got the Sordins because they are more comfortable to wear. Never had any issues with ringing ears until I got the Sordins.

Bought Otto Noizebarrier earplugs and they've been working great. Was recommending them however, while I know these do not have infinite life spans, just found out the warranty is only a year the hard way. One day one of the ear plugs was working, the next day it refused to turn on or charge. Otto says they are not repairable and cost $150 each if you want to buy one from them. Got ~3yrs out of them with limited use as they split time with some Sordins/Peltors.

Going to see what I can do through insurance and step up to some custom earplugs though all the websites for customs remind me of late night tv ads and seem scammy. ESP seems the least scammy. More work for customs though with the impressions. Anyone DIY the impressions with scucess or is it worth going into the docs office and spending that money/time?

Bought Otto Noizebarrier earplugs and they've been working great. Was recommending them however, while I know these do not have infinite life spans, just found out the warranty is only a year the hard way. One day one of the ear plugs was working, the next day it refused to turn on or charge. Otto says they are not repairable and cost $150 each if you want to buy one from them. Got ~3yrs out of them with limited use as they split time with some Sordins/Peltors.

Going to see what I can do through insurance and step up to some custom earplugs though all the websites for customs remind me of late night tv ads and seem scammy. ESP seems the least scammy. More work for customs though with the impressions. Anyone DIY the impressions with scucess or is it worth going into the docs office and spending that money/time?

Don’t DIY, these guy are legit (no affiliation btw, just used them a bunch):

View attachment 8278779
For me, foamies under muffs (electronic or not), provide comfort that muffs alone cannot. That's been "my" experience.

With that being said, I don't always "need" to double up.

YMMV,
Keith

Do they have electronic earpro? Perhaps I'm missing them on their site. Or just for the impression?

They don't do electronic earpro, just custom plugs or they probably can point you in the right direction for impressions.

I wear their plugs under Sordin's, and together they're a comfy tandem for all-day wear with great hearing protection, while still being able to hear and talk relatively normally.

The seal is the thing... the ubiquitous foamies are better than most shitty DIY impressions offered at matches or what people can half-ass on their own. Pro custom ones are just way more comfortable and make getting a good seal more idiot-proof. Respect the seal, once it's gone, hearing doesn't come back.

In-ear electronic earpro is probably the way of the future... but they still sketch me out a little since if one (or both) isn't working right at a match, there usually isn't a quiet/safe place to take them out and mess with them (without risking getting stung by somebody's loud-ass brake). YMMV.

Last edited:
I use Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel cups over 1of1 Custom plugs. That tag-team works awesome, I can wear them all day while hearing commands and drive home with no ringing.

Though, I had to send my Sordins back to SRS Tactical for warranty repair semi-recently (SRS is the best, buy Sordins there IMO/BTW) and bought these Walker's which are fantastic as "poor man's Sordin Pro-Xs" or in my case as a backup set. There's like 1000 different versions of the Walker's but these particular "XTRM" ones (with gel cups, and more advanced audio detection) are great (even fit my giant melon better too):

Also, with Black Friday looming, this is the best time of the year for custom plugs: https://1of1custom.com/

@CK1.0

How long have you run these muffs? Is there anything that you would change about them? I'd like to try them out as I've got 2× Sordins that need to take a trip to FL for some love and want something on hand while they're gone.

Thanks,
Keith

I went to an audiologist & burned 2k+ from the HSA on custom in ear pro.

I don’t remember the brand because they sit unused.

The hard plastic is formed to my ear canal but the hard plastic loses seal when talking & will ring your bell.
The audio from them is tinny & unpleasant. They eat lil hearing aid batteries.
I’ve often thought they would be best used
To double up under muffs.

Overall I wouldn’t buy them again & consider them a waste of money.

I now wear silicone custom plugs that are comfortable & effective. But they make conversion impossible.

@CK1.0

How long have you run these muffs? Is there anything that you would change about them? I'd like to try them out as I've got 2× Sordins that need to take a trip to FL for some love and want something on hand while they're gone.

Thanks,
Keith

I’m a creature of habit so I usually stick to my Sordin’s, but I’ve used the XTRM Walker’s ~3-4 times and they’ve been great (fit my head better honestly)… So I can’t be much help as far as long-term durability, but they seem solid enough and are definitely worth giving a try. (I might run them at a one-day this weekend and see if any warts show up… but so far, so good.)

Reactions: Keith E.

My howard leights are plenty loud, I usually turn them down. That's with foamies or custom plugs.

I went to an audiologist & burned 2k+ from the HSA on custom in ear pro.

I don’t remember the brand because they sit unused.

The hard plastic is formed to my ear canal but the hard plastic loses seal when talking & will ring your bell.
The audio from them is tinny & unpleasant. They eat lil hearing aid batteries.
I’ve often thought they would be best used
To double up under muffs.

Overall I wouldn’t buy them again & consider them a waste of money.

I now wear silicone custom plugs that are comfortable & effective. But they make conversion impossible.
Sounds like they formed them wrong. Not all in ears are equal and why I recommend ESP Apex, as they are the gold standard and have wind filtering technology built in.

Batteries are dirt cheap from Costso or Amazon. Its like 15 bucks for 100 batteries which will last you a few years even if you replace them every match like I do.

Whatever combination of active and passive protection you choose ... PLEASE USE IT.

Hearing loss is cumulative. It's not coming back.

My dad spent 32 years in the Army, doing things like combat engineering (demolitions and explosives), infantry (rifles, automatic weapons, grenades, mortars, and claymores), artillery (yikes!) and rotary-wing aircraft.

He is now profoundly deaf (VA hearing aids in both ears) and it affects his quality-of-life.

My Army health records jacket was stamped "OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD -- NOISE."

We have Ranger battalion youngsters (M240 gunners) who have the Peltors attached to their helmets fail.

Reactions: Keith E.