• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear pro

Wasn't Etymotics coming out with some rechargeable in-ear electronics in July? This is what I would fancy..

Etymotics gp something or other. They get er done

If you have a set of the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs, check out the gel ear inserts from Valholl Gear. Awesome improvement in comfort and functionality.

I've been using the Etymotic Gunsport Pros and they've been excellent. The electronics compress the sound instead of cutting out so you can hear even over gunfire noise. With my Peltor TacPro earmuffs, the gunfire causes the sound to cut out so you can't hear conversation. The hearing aid batteries that the Etymotic uses don't last much longer than a month, they are zinc air batteries and drain down even if you don't use them, but they are available at Costco and are very cheap.

As a full time F/A instructor for a very large Sheriff's dept, I'm in ear pro up to 8-9 hours a day for 4 days a week. Then, I shoot 3 gun on the weekend. I practically live in ear pro. As such, I have found the Sordin Pro with the gel ear cups to be absolutely fantastic. They are designed to compress any sound over 85 db, and aren't clipped or choppy. You can still carry on a normal conversation. The low profile allows you to wear them under a helmet if you need to, depending on what you're doing. The gel ear cups are the most comfortable part. They are very expensive, but when you wear them as long and as often as I do, they are 100% worth the price paid.

Can't be the Sordins, if you're wearing them all day the comfort is beyond compare

Another vote for the MSA's and gel seals though the stock seals aren't that bad. This is after a pair of other brand muffs and many type of plug type ear protection.

Had Howard Leights, upgraded to MSA Sordin Pros with gel. Won't ever go back. Buy once, cry once. And save your hearing.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel seals...I've tried many and this is the go to for comfort and performance IMHO

Etymotic Research GSP or EB15LE. (same thing)
In-ear, best in the business sound reproduction. I love these things!
They can be had for ~$250 with the discount code: JADE2017 at etymotic.com

The trade-up option will get you these at this price, then you can pay the difference between their full retail ($300) price, towards the new rechargable ones $359.
The new ones are due out any day now. They are badass! Lots of improvements over the already steller first versions.

Etymotic Research GSP or EB15LE. (same thing)
In-ear, best in the business sound reproduction. I love these things!
They can be had for ~$250 with the discount code: JADE2017 at etymotic.com

The trade-up option will get you these at this price, then you can pay the difference between their full retail ($300) price, towards the new rechargable ones $359.
The new ones are due out any day now. They are badass! Lots of improvements over the already steller first versions.

Thanks!

Etymotic Research is where it's at. I've been using mine over 2 years now and the only thing I will upgrade to is the same company's future rechargeable version. Played with them at SHOT show this year, can't wait to get them in my hands, or ears.

MSA Sordin ProX for over the ear. Been looking for in-ear. Tried the Silynx Clarus Pro but didn't like them as the cord just got in the way and the sound quality was awful. May have to try the Etymotics.

People that have the Sordin's how is the noise reducing performance?

just an fyi, the sordins, peltor, howard, etc do NOT block enough sound to prevent hearing damage. you may not notice it anymore, but they do not.

What kind of battery life are you getting out of the rechargeable Etymotic's?

The rechargable (Elite) models are not available yet, but next month. Rated at 16-hours per charge, and a fully charged base gives 20 full charges to the ear pro before it itself needs charging again. (According to Etymotic) I will have a set in the next two weeks and report. Using them at the Grind next month.

I use MSA sordins with some custom molded solid plugs when shooting under cover. Really makes it pleasurable to shoot. But not like its ever NON pleasurable to shoot, but still.

I've got the MSA sordins, they are very nice, high quality. My only complaint is, for me, the headband is a too small (I wear a 7 3/4 size hat) and they are only 18db's worth of noise reduction. Wear them with glasses and its even less.

MSA Sordins with gel cups. If under roof I put Surefire plugs underneath.

I've got the MSA sordins, they are very nice, high quality. My only complaint is, for me, the headband is a too small (I wear a 7 3/4 size hat) and they are only 18db's worth of noise reduction. Wear them with glasses and its even less.

I agree with this statement. I wear a 7 1/2 size hat, and I feel that the size of my melon is pushing the maximum comfort level for these. If you have a large dome I would try before you buy.

I have been using MSA Sordins with Gel Cups, they are well built comfortable ear pro, but now I'm looking into some custom in ear electronic protection, ESP Dynamics are the front runner

if you only use electronic muffs, you're going to have permanent hearing loss.

Guys with the Etymotics. Looks like these only have 15db of noise reduction. Are you really finding this to be enough, especially indoors?? Most decent ear pro is at least 22db reduction.

Last edited:
Here is how ear protection noise reduction ratings are converted to a reduction in dB.
Note the reduction formula when combining dual methods of protection.
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.36.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.36.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.36.19 PM.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.36.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.36.08 PM.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 18
My Etymotic Gunsport Pro's are good enough shooting braked precision rifles outdoors at our club matches. You do have to make sure you have a tight seal in your ear canal by inserting the plugs as far as they will go, otherwise the sound protection isn't as good. I have used them indoors shooting pistols and they are fine. However if someone is shooting a braked AR indoors the Etymotics, in my opinion, are not sufficient and I will put a set of ear muffs over them.