• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ear protection for 300 wm

DC52

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2018
just got a rem 700 5R, have a break on it in 300 win mg. shoots good , but what can I do about ear protection. had a muff on, and still had to add plugs.
what do ya'll suggest to make it better. gonna order a can for it, but that will take 6-8 months. need more protection for ears. what a cannon! at 900 yds was punching thru 1/4" steel.
thanks

Double up. I almost always use plugs and muffs. I find that with electronic muffs, you can turn them to max amplification and still hear voices/commands with the plugs in. But adding the plugs helps quite a bit.

would rather have noise rather than the recoil. just need better muffs and plugs

I just run custom-molded plugs. I can't wear muffs when shooting rifles, as they hit the stock when I have a cheek weld.

no getting around it, magnums are loud and brakes don't help. get the highest NRR rated soft foamy earplugs and then ditto for muffs.

Muffs get in my way for a cheek weld, but I put plugs in deep. No brakes though. More expensive electronic muffs are lower profile than mine though. I get yearly hearing tests at work and no significant deterioration since the one day I ran a range with no plugs in the corps. My left ear never recovered.

Of course I use custom molded plugs that my wife made me.She is in the hearing aid business and I wear muffs on top of those also.

Reactions: fx77
Double up. I almost always use plugs and muffs. I find that with electronic muffs, you can turn them to max amplification and still hear voices/commands with the plugs in. But adding the plugs helps quite a bit.

I've had issues before with the stock breaking the seal on my electronics, and it seams like foam plugs muffle range commands too much. Will try the double-up.

A well placed foam earplug is the best reduction you can get. When that isn't enough, I add muffs. I would rather deal with muffled range commands and shouting at people accidentally than have hearing damage.

I got a heck of a deal on some Walker XV Razors a while back. I think the NRR on them is 31 decibels.
I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 300WM with an APA Little Bastard on it. They seem to work well for me. I can hear my spotter talking to me and if turn up the amplifier on it I can hear the other guys complaining at the range too :ROFLMAO: (haven't been able to put back enough money for a can yet :\ )

Q Half Nelson or Trash Panda will fix that loudness real easy.

Msa sordins. Seems to be what a lot of people I know use. Expensive but your hearing is worth it. If you can spend thousands on a rifle and a scope, $300 on the muffs seems reasonable. I just ordered a pair myself. Should be here before my range trip Sunday

Reactions: mikefraz
+1 on Sordins. I bought them on the advice of a hide member. Wish I remembered his name so I could thank him. Sordins filter out more of the harmful frequencies than the other brands. Expensive but worth it. Even still I double up with custom moulded plugs.
Hearing loss and tinnitus (permanent ringing) really sucks.

I use Peltor Comtac's with mine with no issue. Others on the firing line don't seem to care for it that much though. :ROFLMAO:

just got a rem 700 5R, have a break on it in 300 win mg. shoots good , but what can I do about ear protection. had a muff on, and still had to add plugs.
what do ya'll suggest to make it better. gonna order a can for it, but that will take 6-8 months. need more protection for ears. what a cannon! at 900 yds was punching thru 1/4" steel.
thanks
As many have said sordins plus plugs, in particular sordins with the gel replacement inserts.

R

TBAC Ultra 7 is your best option. Decibullz for ear plugs and MSA Sordin Muffs with the gel inserts. As a good buddy of mine says, "they feel like tities covering your ears" haha. I shoot a 300win 20" barrel with an ultra 7 on it. Only way to go in my opinion.

I am a huge fan of suppressors and even use a 9" can on my 260 in matches despite the added length on barricades. However, unless you only shoot by yourself, one must still deal with muzzle blast and noise from others that are shooting.

So double up, buttercup!

thanks, I know this will open up a can or worms, but what about brands of cans, which ones are worth the money and do the job, if I went that way. have seen lots of cans out there, a local store sells sandman and they will take care of all the paper work for me. probably still 6-8 month wait.
have friends that shoot different ones from fat bastard to everything in between. everybody thinks there's is the best.

Well, whatever you do, don't use that 'can of worms'!

I am not qualified to tell you which ones are best, other than what I myself have read here. Mine happens to be an SAS Arbiter and it works very well. But there are a number of great suppressor companies out there. I really like the TBAC products and they are a big supporter of our sport and this forum.

I'd suggest that you spend some quality time reading threads in the Suppressor sub-forum. There are a few discussions that are pertinent to your question and you 'can' always start your own thread over there.

Double up, we do a lot of breaching and interior shooting with flashbacks. I prefer a foam plug, under a MSA, or other high quality electronic muff

About two years ago I bought a set of SureFire plugs that have worked out really well. They’re like $15 a set. I also use electronic muffs because I can’t afford much more hearing loss. They block out enough noise that I generally leave them behind in favor of the reusable rubber ear plugs. It’s just too damn difficult to hear everyone else around me while using the SUREFIRE plugs.

The reusable rubber ear plugs work well also. They will last a long time if you don’t lose them. They’re also cheap at like $2 a set. But, always, always double up on the ear pro.