• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ear protection question

Re: Ear protection question

+1 on MSA with gel cups. but i also bring along plugs and double up if there's going to be culverts and/or barricades that will reflect a lot of noise.

I ordered the ep7 surefire ear plugs, they have memory foam, just came out in october. I hope they rock!

I bought the Impact Sport's since $50 shipped is tough to beat, and I trust Howard Leight with my ears. I'm very happy with them. Even with the active noise attenuation turned off, they still protect my hearing. I don't have time to shoot comp's so I can't comment on how they hold up in that regard, but for general range use I couldn't justify spending more than that

ESP Stealths are the best hearing protection around. I wear them while shooting matches as well as all day long at work on theiring line.

They are well worth the money!

I used n greatly abused two pairs of HL Sport muffs, the first pair I rewired because the wires broke from folding them up, so don't fold them up, the second pair appeared to have better wiring but grew legs before I could break them, I was all set to buy another pair when I tried on a pair of MSA/Sordins with gel cups, the MSA are beyond comfortable, and are better in everything else too, I got mine from Triad Tactical, he is an authorized dealer and should a warranty issue arise it will be taken care of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered the ep7 surefire ear plugs, they have memory foam, just came out in october. I hope they rock! </div></div>

lmk how they are. i almost picked up a set but wasnt sure what kinda foam they were going to use so i didnt know if it would dry out after 6 months or be good to go after a year or so.

I just got a pair of Surefire EP3's and have to say, they're very comfortable. I used to use either Etymotic ER-20's or foam plugs.

Just picked up a pair of MSA Supreme Pro X with gel cups, have been using them for about a week and am really enjoying them they are exetremly comfortable, does not mess with my check weld, and can hear my wife behind me making fun of me when i miss!! dont know what your budget is but i would put these on the top of your list...

picked mine up from Triad tactical, great service from Steve over there!!

The reason I've never looked at Sordins is their low passive db protection of only 18. In the same price range, you can get these which have a passive reduction of 33db. I think they make a low-profile version which has 27db. Since my last pair of earpro is missing, I'm researching a new pair.

1911fan

I wonder if the NRR testing is done in house, or by an independent lab, like MSA does. MSA has been down this road with other companies before, and like suppressor testing, some places dont play with the same sheet of music.

After loosing a noticeable percentage of my hearing one afternoon, I have had several long talks with the Medical Doctors at the University of Kansas Med School. These MD's included two Audiologists and one ENT Surgeon.

Important points that all three of them made or agreed to:

1. Hearing damage is permanent.
2. Hearing damage is irreversible.
3. Hearing damage is cumulative(it ALL adds up, shooting, saws, cars and concerts)
4. If you wear muffs and plugs, the NRR are not added together, but there is increased protection.
5. DO NOT IGNORE THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY NOISE TRANSMITTED FROM THE SKULL TO YOUR EAR.

I put the last one in caps. The warnings were quite clear, particularly regarding prolonged exposure to high intensity sound(gunfire). Take two products with equal NRR of say 21, one a muff and one a in the ear style. Hands down, the recommendation was the muffs, every time.

The only time I dont wear plugs AND muffs is when I hunt. I only wear one or the other then.

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into your suggestions. Currently, all I have is some muffs I bought at Cabela's. They work ok, but not the greatest.

Unfortunately, a lifetime of rock concerts, shooting, drag racing, etc. has left me with significant hearing loss. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 but if I had it to do over again, I would have taken precautions early on. Hearing loss sucks. Consequently, it doesn't matter if I'm shooting 22LR or 300 WM, I ALWAYS wear custom molded solid plugs covered with Peltor Tac Pros. If there was something else I could do in addition to that, I would.

Oh, I forgot to mention that tinnitus on top of hearing loss sucks even worse.

Tinnitus sucks much worse than the hearing loss. Sometimes dogs start to howl when I walk in the room. Throw in a little hyperacusis and you can have the trifecta of the ear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZIROC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered the ep7 surefire ear plugs, they have memory foam, just came out in october. I hope they rock! </div></div>

lmk how they are. i almost picked up a set but wasnt sure what kinda foam they were going to use so i didnt know if it would dry out after 6 months or be good to go after a year or so. </div></div>

Will do! I'm still waiting for them to come in, their on back order at botach.