• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Earmuffs for RO usage

Tsonka

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
I am needing some new electronic earmuff's for RO usage. I prefer earplugs while shooting but find earmuff's more comfortable wearing for long periods.

Would like some suggestions. Again, primary use will be RO'ing. I don't care about bluetooth and am fine with a pair not loaded with options. Im ok with $100-$150 street price, but am afraid to pick something and find out it was functionally the same as a cheaper model with less options

EDIT: amazon link isn't working, here is a description

AKT1 Sport Sound Amplification Earmuff, Electronic Hearing Protection for Shooting Sports & Impact Noise, Premium Ear Pro with Memory Foam Cushions & Enhanced Sound Clarity, AK earpro, NRR 25​

I double up hearing protection at all times, but recently switched to this headset. Has 25 nrr which is more than most electronic muffs. Comfort is good. Have worn for 5 hours straight with sunglasses on.

Reactions: Larke
For RO ing... would strongly recommend both muffs and plugs. When I shoot or RO, I I try to protect what little hearing I have left... and keep the tinnutus ringing to a minimum.

Huh, did you say something?

Reactions: PDXGS and thebolt
Sordins.
Or the near identical SWATCom, which is a spinoff I don't fully understand.
Or Peltors.

All others I have seen eventually fail even if it's just humid or you are sweaty enough. I guess unless you live in a desert, it seems.

If real close to the action, rifles, etc. then also plugs. If you are ALWAYS to (e.g.) the right of the shooter, and have trouble hearing with plugs in, only plug the left ear.

Pilots, esp helicopter pilots, have loud aircraft but also need to hear clearly so have electronic plugs inside electronic muffs. Some high end ground/gunfire mode earpro has this as an option but it is crazy expensive.

Reactions: SmileMaker
I always forget those details. The ones I mentioned all have accessory, and cheaply replaceable, gel earcups. If you sweat a lot or otherwise find them still uncomfortable, go to a pilot store an get the fabric earpro covers. Now you have fabric, and washable, against your head.

More rare, but available if you look, are memory foam replacement top pads. Highly suggest that also. On good ears it's replaceable anyway so easy velcro on/off, but factory ones are merely fine. You can do better, and it helps.

Sordin Pro x with gel Seals. They aren’t cheap, but neither are hearing aids.

I’m always amazed when dudes I shoot with can’t hear anything because of wind noise when there is NONE in my sordins. Run Earaser HiFi musician’s silicone plugs underneath to knock the brake concussion down some more. Literally when spotting or running a shooter, talking with the squad, etc. it sounds like you aren’t wearing anything…but there’s no rifle noise.

For the Money the Champion Electronic muffs are super comfortable and work great, only down side is they are too bulky for my preference when shooting .