• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

East Tennessee (ORSA) weekly 1000 yd shoot

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    Just thought I'd put this one out there for those who may live in the area and don't know about it. The members at ORSA do a 1000 yd shoot every Monday afternoon starting at about 1700. We try to get there and squad up around 1630 so we can start shooting pretty close to 1700. We get 3 to 10 shooters, we do two relays. Everyone gets to shoot and pull targets. I think the club rules allow you to shoot as a guest two or three times before you have to join (and considering the facility membership is a deal)

If you haven't shot there it's on NRA HP or F class targets. We've got HP and F class guys shooting. No official scoring these days, just a chance to get out and practice, read some wind (or not) and punch holes.

If you're in the area you should check it out.

Re: East Tennessee (ORSA) weekly 1000 yd shoot

xtr if you wouldn't mind could you pm me with some contact details been wanting to join you all for some time now but had a lot of problems with my mothers health here lately so everything else has been put on the back burner new to the long range game but now have most of the equipment needed would like to chat a bit with someone and maybe find out a bit more about f class and such if you wouldn't mind im just about 2 hours or so from you all im pretty sure

ORSA is actually a really big (750+ acres) facility with a number of internal clubs and ranges, a bullseye pistol range, an action shooting range, Bench rest range (50/100/200 yds) with covered benches (3 wood 3 concrete benches), plinking range (the only range where you don't shoot at set targets), 1000 yd HP range with firing points at 1000, 600, 500, 300, 200, 100 (I think that's the breakdown, I've not used anything inside of 300), skeet/trap, and an archery range. It is a phenomenal facility and I think dues are $120/yr or something like that.

The thing that won't appeal to many folk here is you can't shoot steel, all shots must impact the berm. On the HP range only targets in the HP match target frames are allowed.

ORSA website
    ORSA HP club

In order to join you have to send in your registration then make it to one of the safety and orientation classes. They are given on Saturdays

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtech308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">xtr if you wouldn't mind could you pm me with some contact details been wanting to join you all for some time now but had a lot of problems with my mothers health here lately so everything else has been put on the back burner new to the long range game but now have most of the equipment needed would like to chat a bit with someone and maybe find out a bit more about f class and such if you wouldn't mind im just about 2 hours or so from you all im pretty sure </div></div>

PM sent with contact info

Who cares if you can't shoot steel?

With a weekly 1000 yd squadded practice you don't need to.

F, if I lived anywhere near there I'd be all over that as a member like flies on poop.

Look in the 3rd post by XTR. He posted the contact and information links.

There's some kind of training several times a year. It's probably the best money I spend a year.

Yesterday I went to ORSA thinking there would be some members for an afternoon shoot. After driving two hours from Cosby and finding no one there, it was very disappointing. Hanging around for 3 hours, I went and shot afew rounds at the 200 yd. range. I decided about at 5 [1700] to head home [2 hr trip]. Anyhow I do enjoy shooting at ORSA, they have one of the best 1000 yd range.I don't mind going there anytime if i know that others will be there. I can be there next week if anyone is interested pm me. T.

Thanks, I've been trying to find a range with a little more than just a hundred yards. $120 is not a bad deal, now on the other hand, a 2 hr drive from chatt could make that trip an all day range affair. (Not that that would be a bad thing)I appreciate the info, I'll be looking into this very soon.

Xtr, what are visiting non members to do? Wait at a gate with a lost sheep look?

I have been wanting to get into the 1000 yard range shooting myself. I would like to go some time... Give me a shout. I would need help on recomended load developement. I currently use .308. I am guessing 175 smk's and from 42 to 45 grains of varget would be the ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Xtr, what are visiting non members to do? Wait at a gate with a lost sheep look? </div></div>

Tres, would you be a member or a lost sheep??? I've wandered the same thing. Been kicking around the idea since we went to Mammoth Mt. I've wandered how much time you could get on the weekends with all the competitions going on.

Dunkin,

The monthly 1k matches are GREAT practice.

No I'm not a member, hence me asking XTR what to do...

Tres,
    For the matches there will be a code posted at the gate. You can enter the code and the gate will open. There are also loads of practice times. If you are interested in practice time just contact me and maybe we can work something out..
    Jeff

Thanks BarrelNut. Next monday evening I know I will have open I'll get with you ahead of time.

WoW... 120$ a year for a membership to that range?

Makes me wish I lived in Tennessee!

As it stands I can't find anywhere to shoot beyond 100 yards closer than 2-3 hours from here.