• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eastern CO places to shoot

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Kennewick, WA
Looking at relocating to eastern CO for work, likely in the fort collins, loveland or greeley area..... what do the options look like in eastern CO for places to shoot long range? Are there some long ranges in the area?

I see there is tons of BLM and forest service ground to the west of denver. Is this ground reasonably accessible for target shooting?

Cheyenne, Wy/Otto road whatever that range is called an hour-ish north of FOCO. Pawnee as mentioned above, out to the east by less than an hour. The Pawnee National Grasslands if boondocking on public land is your thing. Byers, Ft. Carson/Cheyenne Mountain range, Buffalo Creek gun club/Camp Fickes (600 yards tops) are all on the “should google” list depending on where you end up. Pawnee sportsman’s is a no-brainer for the Greeley area. Im pretty sure they have steel out to 1000 available all the time and they put on a hell of a good PRS match every month.

The mountains/ public land to the west are too crowded to make it worth it...people, use restrictions, fire danger, house/cabins, fishermen, rock climbers, mountain bikers, etc. everywhere. Half of Denver heads into those forested lands every day of the week. Its a circus. Not impossible, but there are better choices to be had.

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Looking at relocating to eastern CO for work, likely in the fort collins, loveland or greeley area..... what do the options look like in eastern CO for places to shoot long range? Are there some long ranges in the area?

I see there is tons of BLM and forest service ground to the west of denver. Is this ground reasonably accessible for target shooting?
That's not really Eastern Colorado...

Eastern slope maybe. Pawnee is your best bet in that area, hook up with the Mile High crew

I was gonna say Aurora……🤣

Pawnee is the place in that area.
Either the range or free land and brings targets.

Plenty of other places, but those are your closest.

But skip CO if you can. Full of commies and housing is flat retarded nowadays.

Reactions: Keel Haul
Another vote for the Colorado Rifle Club ranged near Byers. 1000 yard benchrest and F-Class matches held frequently. You can really test your wind call skills there.

There is no wind in CO.

Only gentle breezes. 🤣🤣🤣

I know a guy who used to shoot Palma at Byers.

Was a solid national guy.
Top in the wind of course!!!

Appreciate the replies in here! I'm thinking if I could get hooked up at pawnee, otto road or colorado rifle club that would get me squared away for most of the shooting I would want to do.

Then on the occasion I want to stretch out further, I see tons of BLM public ground a couple hours up into WY or over on the west side of CO I could hit up.

The Colorado Rifle Club has a 20 position 1K range with a concrete pit operation. At the 1K benchrest matches, you get assigned to a shooting relay, and pull pit duty when not shooting.

Attachments

• 929B600E-0AC4-451D-AC07-39FEB901504F.jpeg
    929B600E-0AC4-451D-AC07-39FEB901504F.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 36
View inside the pit enclosure.

Attachments

• 3AAF1071-CC14-4EE1-B1EC-2DAAA86DAB36.jpeg
    3AAF1071-CC14-4EE1-B1EC-2DAAA86DAB36.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 37
My best 1K group: 4.79 inches.

Attachments

• 2E279407-F98D-49A1-AD49-6204DD3FBFB6.jpeg
    2E279407-F98D-49A1-AD49-6204DD3FBFB6.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 40
Otto Road Range near Cheyenne. There's a range in Laramie as well.

Pawnee Sportsman Center, Pawnee in general (But you're probably just better off going to an actual range.

Colorado Rod and Rifle Club North of Ft. Collins near LaPorte.

CRC (Colorado Rifle club) in Byers.

Liberty in Loveland. An indoor range with lanes out to 100 yards. TriggerTime outside Longmont as well has 100 yard indoor lanes.

Take a clinic with Frank at their range out in Ft. Morgan.

I've shot all of these and they are all gtg. Other than Frank/Ft. Morgan, they all host many matches with several going beyond 1000 yards.