• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rattler's swim from Parris Island to Hilton Head

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Story says the largest one the researchs have caught i 15 feet long. thats a lot of Diamondback. ive seen them around 7 feet, and thats spooky but 15'?

Hilton Head Island Packet

World’s biggest rattlesnakes can swim from Parris Island to Hilton Head​

Karl Puckett
    Sat, August 19, 2023 at 4:00 AM CDT·6 min read

On Oct. 28, 2017, a 5-foot-long, 6-pound male eastern diamondback rattlesnake was found dead on a road on Hilton Head Island. It had been run over by a car. But how did this snake, which originated on Parris Island, the location of the U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot, make it more than 5 miles across the salty waters of Port Royal Sound to Hilton Head?
    It turns out, researchers discovered later, that the plucky snake swam, undulating through the waves of the Broad River. It was the farthest migration of an eastern diamondback rattlesnake from its home range ever observed.
    “They are the ultimate underdog,” Jayme Waldron says of eastern diamondbacks, because “very few people like rattlesnakes.”
    Waldron, a professor of biological science at Marshall University in West Virginia and a snake expert, does. If you have eastern diamondbacks on your land, Waldron says, it shows you are managing the natural resources well, which she says should be taken as a badge of honor.
    But the apex predator is struggling to hang on in the longleaf pine forests and coastal lowlands of southeastern United States, primarily because of habitat loss. It’s venom is also in high demand for use in research labs. There are no legal protections for the snake, which Waldron says is as much a symbol of the Lowcountry as the Palmetto tree.
    “It’s sad,” Waldron says. “They should be way more widespread than they are.”
    Emily Gray attempts to coax an eastern diamondback rattlesnake into a plastic tube so it can be safely handled as measurements are taken. A microchip also was inserted in the snake so it can be tracked over time.

Emily Gray attempts to coax an eastern diamondback rattlesnake into a plastic tube so it can be safely handled as measurements are taken. A microchip also was inserted in the snake so it can be tracked over time.
    Waldron and the U.S. Marines are fighting to save eastern diamondbacks and their habitat by learning more about the mysterious creatures.

‘Shrimpers have caught them’​

John Holloway, the civilian natural resources manager at U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, and Waldron and have been tracking the wanderings of eastern diamondbacks on Parris Island — and off of it — since 2008 in what has become the longest-running tracking project of the largest and most venomous rattlesnake in the United States.
    The remarkable journey of the eastern diamondback to Hilton Head a few years ago is only known because of a microchip that was planted under its skin on Aug. 15, 2015 on Parris Island, two year’s prior to its death, as part of that study.
    “Shrimpers have caught them for years in their shrimp nets offshore,” Holloway said in reference to the long dispersal of the Hilton Head rattler.
    Still, while eastern diamondbacks are capable swimmers, the long excursion to Hilton Head was particularly notable because it was made over water — and by an older snake. It’s usually the younger ones that travel the farthest.
    Eastern diamondbacks, known for their distinctive diamond-shaped skin patterns and large triangular-shaped heads, can live more than 20 years but population growth is slow because they only produce eggs every two to four years. They can be brown, yellow or tan with distinct black, brown and cream diamonds on their back and blend in brilliantly in the Lowcountry. The best way to detect them, Waldron advises, is to look for changes in texture, not color.
    The oldest snake Parris Island researchers have captured is “Hussie,” so named because she “bred with a bunch of males,” Waldron says. The dame is older than most of the students who assist Waldron in the research. At the time of her capture 4 years ago, Hussie was over 15 feet long. Waldron calls her a “giant.”
    The largest snake caught to date is Elijah, who was 9.5 pounds at capture.
    Students prepare a captured eastern diamondback rattlesnake for tagging at U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Paris Island.

Students prepare a captured eastern diamondback rattlesnake for tagging at U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Paris Island.
    The eastern diamondback rattlesnake population at Parris Island, while not known, is consider healthy. That’s why it’s an ideal place to study them.
    Over 20-square-miles, the snakes ambush rats and rabbits and fox squirrels, injecting deadly venom through fangs up to three-fourths-of-an-inch-long. Home ranges are about 20 acres.
    “They have everything they need,” Holloway says.

Are protections coming?​

Occasionally, they put a scare into a Marine recruit training in the toolies, but they rarely bite people, preferring to flee if they can. “They are not a very bitey snake,” Waldron says.
    Over the 15 years of the study, Marine researchers and Marshall University students have captured more than 1,000 snakes and inserted microchips or attached transmitters to their rattles with glue and thread so they can track them.
    The study has two purposes: Limit conflicts between Marine recruits and rattlesnakes — more than 20,000 recruits are trained at Parris Island annually — while gathering information on the snakes and their habitat. The information could prove vital in saving the imperiled pit viper, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act. A decision from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service whether to protect it could come as soon as next year. In South Carolina, the eastern diamondback is listed only as a “species of concern,” which does not provide any legal protection.
    Habitat protections are critical to the snake’s long-term survival, Holloway says.
    “You can protect the animal,” says Holloway, “but really, you need to protect where it’s living.”
    Longleaf pine once dominated the coastal plain blanketing more than 90 million acres from Texas to Virginia, according to the Nature Conservancy. Today there are just 5.2 million acres, up from an historical low of 3.2 million acres two decades ago.
    Jayme Waldron and John Holloway search for an eastern diamondback rattlesnake at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island fitted with an electronic device that allows researchers to track its movements. The Marines and Marshall University are participating in tracking project of eastern diamondbacks to learn more about them and their habitat.

Jayme Waldron and John Holloway search for an eastern diamondback rattlesnake at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island fitted with an electronic device that allows researchers to track its movements. The Marines and Marshall University are participating in tracking project of eastern diamondbacks to learn more about them and their habitat.More
    Military bases that have not been as developed and have less public access can be a “last resort” for species that are in decline because of development pressures, Holloway says.
    The snakes not only keep rodent populations under control, Holloway says, but also reduce the numbers of ticks because they eat mammals that the blood suckers feed on.
    While most people try to avoid the snakes, Waldron and her students march through the marshlands and thick forests clogged with palmetto and pine trees at Parris Island looking for them in logs, under trees and in holes.

Interesting read ; my first encounter with Eastern diamondbacks was indeed on Paris Island.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    The 15’ is a misprint. In the very next sentence they say the biggest captured was 9.5lbs and also a different snake. Article almost reads like ChatGTP wrote it.

While swimming at HH I had sharks in mind guess I should have been thinking snakes…..

• Haha
    The 15’ is a misprint. In the very next sentence they say the biggest captured was 9.5lbs and also a different snake. Article almost reads like ChatGTP wrote it.
    Yep. I immediately said BS, but you might be right about a misprint. Either way, there’s no such thing as a 15’ rattler. I had to look it up, but the longest Eastern on record is just over 8’ (99 in). Anything over 5’ is “big”, and over 6’ is exceptional.
    Interesting article otherwise though.

Last edited:
    Yep. I immediately said BS, but you might be right about a misprint. Either way, there’s no such thing as a 15’ rattler. I had to look it up, but the longest Eastern on record is just over 8’ (99 in). Anything over 5’ is “big”, and over 6’ is exceptional.
    Yep, I've seen around 6' and my stomach still churns when I think about him. Ran into a 5+ foot copperhead in the mountains of Bedford Co. Virginia.

Reactions: Slash0311
    Biggest I've heard of was around 7'. Seems I remember being told the actual length was over 7' but several inches of the hide behind the head was too badly damaged to save.
    It was killed by a game warden named Freddie McCurly in Hampton county sometime in the 60's IIRC.
    The hide used to be on display in the SCDNR regional office in Barnwell S.C.
    It was stapled to a cypress board 16" wide and the hide lapped over and was stapled on the back side at the widest part.
    I sometimes wonder whatever became of it after the office was closed in the 90's due to budget cutbacks.

Reactions: JIMB3AM and Maggot
    Sizable rascal from a ranch at Zapata TX from a couple of yrs back snagged by a shipmate.

IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg

Reactions: JR_77
    So, so, much NOPE in this article…..hell no. I hate snakes.

Article says they can only lay eggs every two to four years.
    I should have been a writer. Corky from life goes on, could do better.
    Rattlesnake don't lay eggs every two to four years....they never lay eggs at all. No wonder they are endangered.
    I hate retards, writing retard shit.

Rattlesnake don't lay eggs every two to four years....they never lay eggs at all. No wonder they are endangered.
    My BS meter pegged at the 15 foot comment and exploded at " shrimpers have caught them" claim.
    Didn't bother to read any further.

Gatorland Zoo and Alligator Farm south of Orlando Florida used to have a $500 dollar reward for a 7 ft Eastern Diamondback back around 1980. We saw a couple that would probably be close but we never found one willing to be taken alive. As far as I know, they never paid the money.

So I'm going with bullshit for $500 Alex.

Sizable rascal from a ranch at Zapata TX from a couple of yrs back snagged by a shipmate.

View attachment 8209171View attachment 8209172

That’s a good sized western. A few years ago, I had a customer here in central Arizona that bagged one like that. The biggest I’ve dealt with on my property have been 18”-36” in length. Most have been very aggressive.

Reactions: SWgeezer
    That’s a good sized western. A few years ago, I had a customer here in central Arizona that bagged one like that. The biggest I’ve dealt with on my property have been 18”-36” in length. Most have been very aggressive.
    Never dealt with one, but the Westerns have a reputation for being more aggressive than our Timbers and Easterns. I'll take y'all's word for it. I'd be surprised though, if they could be as mean as a danged moccasin.

Last edited:
    Article isn't wrong, just not clear. It doesn't say "lay", it says "produce". Eastern Diamondbacks are ovoviviparous, meaning the female produces actual eggs and retains them in the body until after they hatch. You are correct that they don't lay eggs, and the young are "born" live. But they do produce eggs every 2-3 years, as the article said. You just never see them. The line between ovoviviparous and viviparous (true live birth, like mammals) is thin, but it's distinct - the main difference being that viviparous gestation involves a placenta, with nutrition and O2 being shared from the mother. Ovoviviparous eggs are essentially walled off from the mother, and the developing young get almost everything from the yolk sac within the egg.

Last edited:
    Never dealt with one, but the Westerns have a reputation for being more aggressive than our Timbers and Easterns. I'll take y'all's word for it. I'd be surprised though, if they could be as mean as a danged moccasin.
    This one crawled across the road under the 4x4 while spotlighting varmints. Feller holding it shot it mid section. It took off to the bar ditch, the chucklehead stepped on its tail to claim his prize and it reared back on him whereby he popped it in the head with a 9mm mid-'strike'. Youthful boldness vs grey-headed seasoning.

• Haha
    Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    While technically they dont 'lay' the eggs, they do produce them. and the article was correct in the timeline.

So, do Rattlesnakes lay eggs? Rattlesnakes do not lay eggs. While they produce eggs, female rattlesnakes will instead carry them inside for up to 90 days. These eggs will then hatch while still inside her, and she will give birth to live young. Rattlesnakes only reproduce once every 2-3 years.

While technically they dont 'lay' the eggs, they do produce them. and the article was correct in the timeline.

So, do Rattlesnakes lay eggs? Rattlesnakes do not lay eggs. While they produce eggs, female rattlesnakes will instead carry them inside for up to 90 days. These eggs will then hatch while still inside her, and she will give birth to live young. Rattlesnakes only reproduce once every 2-3 years.

I notice several here are quick to point out the genius of this article.

A little English comprehension lesson, thats what we are playing here.
    This article is a prime example of how our entire nation is becoming a gaggle of retards.

"Well technically. The article is correct. They PRODUCE eggs."
    Thats true, very true.

Yall should go into journalism.

• Haha
    Reactions: mewillis
    Yep, I've seen around 6' and my stomach still churns when I think about him. Ran into a 5+ foot copperhead in the mountains of Bedford Co. Virginia.
    That's what you get for being in Bedford Co.

• Haha
    Used to catch westerns in central Texas to sell... Biggest we caught was right at 6'... $5 a pound, delivered... Good beer money in the early-mid 80's...

I've killed many in S. Florida, there's nothing more scary than a 6ft.+ Eastern Dback except maybe a 16ft. Burmese and you try and catch it alone!!;)

Technically, human women produce eggs too.
    Nope. Ova (singular - ovum). "Egg" in human terms is a commonly-used misnomer. There is a distinct difference between an ovum and an egg.

But they try to mash your eggs if you tell them they don't have eggs. All part of that "most dangerous snake" part.

Truth...and anything else you try to tell them if they disagree.

• Haha
    I thought all the snakes had moved to DC.