• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Easy scope leveling fix

regency

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
www.patwar.com
Thought I would pass this along after struggling with bubble levels and trying to hang string from objects in the house for verification.
I have come across an easy way to level a scope on a rifle. It's called the Igaging Angle Cube. It's kinda like a micrometer, it will go down to .00 (1/100th) degree can't readings. They are usually about $30

I set it on top of the gun's rail (or scope mounting rail for bolt guns) first to get the rifle level. Then I place the cube on top of the elevation dial and make it level. I will tighten down the scope rings with the cube on it and am surprised with home much a scope can twist while tightening! Even when tightening in a star pattern.

I'm also a huge Spuhr fan and use their mounts. The key that comes with the mounts get the scope close to level but the cube really gets it dialed in. I'm not affiliated with the manufacture but it's made my life so stress free now with scope mounting, I just couldn't hold me enthusiasm with it.

Reactions: RNWRKNP and JayB
I agree they're great! I use mine with a carpenter's vice to hold the rifle. I get the rifle level and then I mount the scope and use a string and plumb bob hanging off a 6 ft step ladder 25 m away

Ed

Reactions: JayB
Looks neat and probably easier to use than the bubble levels.

Have you seen this Arisaka Optic Leveler?

You’re making the assumption the top of the elevation dial is parallel with the scope base...which isn’t the case a lot of times.

Reactions: hk dave
I normally just use a flashlight and a plumb line on the wall behind the rifle about 6 feet or so. Makes mounting at home a lot easier.
Shine the flashlight through the objective lens, adjust the diopter until the reticle is crisp on the wall, and then rotate the scope until the main vertical stadia is parallel with the plumb line. For my guns with non-adjustable buttstocks I'll cant the rifle so it fits my shoulder pocket how I like, then lock the bipod down and after leveling the reticle mount my bubble level on the scope tube.

Reactions: Bulldog10
9006FB2E-911E-498A-B3E0-9E04F7BF045C.jpeg

Just sayin.....

Sometimes after you put the scope in place you are not left with a good flat spot to put a level on the rifle for this reason I like the Wheeler scope mounting kit. It has a level that attaches to the barrel that can be fine tuned with another level before you put the scope in the way on the rifle. So now even if you happen to move the rifle as long as you haven’t touched the level on the barrel you can easily just relevel it.

Reactions: Fig
Interesting, how accurate are these?
And while I’m on the subject, what’s the easiest way to mount and level a scope?

I tried to stick a little scope level on my XTR II cap and it slid right off, went to Harbor Freight, took home the $11.99 72" level and planted it out in the range on the side a little where I probably won't shoot it. Might do some permanent mil or MOA markings who knows. Got the idea basically from the scope setup stuff Frank talks about on the podcast, which is some good stuff to know if you haven't done it seventeen times with 6 other sweet scopes before. Where I grew up, center-fire isn't used for hunting so we always messed with non-scoped or rimfire which has left me with a lot to learn for sure, just look at my dipshit post from the other day...

This is slick! What is it and wher donyou get one?

I have one of these I use for work all the time. Not sure what brand that is but I have a Bosch 5-Point Self Leveling Cross Line laser. Ive never used it for installing a scope though. I recently bought the Arisaka optic Leveler and installed a few scopes with it recently. Its legit and super fast. Well worth the $12

Use a feeler gauge. It costs what $5 and stores easy without losing any small parts or jacking with a level. Been using it for years and it is foolproof.

GL
DT

Use a feeler gauge. It costs what $5 and stores easy without losing any small parts or jacking with a level. Been using it for years and it is foolproof.

GL
DT

DT, How does the feeler gauge process go?

I use a light and plumb line like 10APOKS described above. I do that while using levels on the barrel, mount and scope cap. My scope cap level is a
circular "bullseye" level and I like it to be exactly in the center while everything else lines up.

I'd like to find a quicker way if possible.

GL
DT
Typically for the feeler guage to work it has to be so tight that once you tighten the rings down you can't get the gauge out from below the scope (between scope and mount/rail)

Just a word of warning on these, don’t let the wife know you have one. All the sudden you will find yourself hanging multiple picture frames all over the house at the exact same level.

Brother that is a fact!??? Pictures, shelves, tv and flooring??

How would you use one of these to level your scope? I must be missing something obvious to everyone else.

Yes, I am a beginner.

DT, How does the feeler gauge process go?

There are 2 ways.
Get the feeler gauge, and take out thickness spacers until the exact thickness of the stack of gauges is between the bottom of scope and top of rail. This force the scope to be parallel to the base which is perfectly plumb if the scope is of decent quality. Even cheap scopes it will be so close that you wont be able to tell the difference.

Second way is you just get the thickest feeler, and as the flat edge is touching the base, rotate it up till the other sharp edge forces the scope to be parallel again to the base. Its harder than I thought to explain it in words, I can take a pic tonight.

In both instances make sure the rings are semi tight allowing for the scope to rotate with resistance.

Typically for the feeler guage to work it has to be so tight that once you tighten the rings down you can't get the gauge out from below the scope (between scope and mount/rail)

If it is too tight to get the gauge out, you didn't measure correctly and have too many feelers in the stack and you also put them in before you put any tension on the rings. Take some out, tighten rings a bit and do it correctly. It really only needs very little resistance to get it perfect, it does not need to be tight sandwich to be perfect.

The feeler method is the quickest, easiest and with the least amt of tools method that I have used.

Good luck!
DT

How would you use one of these to level your scope? I must be missing something obvious to everyone else.

Yes, I am a beginner.

Level the rifle, put the laser grid on a wall or target and level you scope cross hairs to the laser.