• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Dragonfly pack

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm thinking of buying an Eberlestodck Dragonfly pack for hunting.

Anyone here own one? Are you satisfied with how it functions overall and specifically with a rifle in the pack's "rifle sock"?

Re: Eberlestock Dragondly pack

There are two Eberlestock Dragonfly models, the J107H and the J107M. While the two models are nearly identical, there are some differences, in both structure and cosmetic layout. From Eberlestock's website:

<span style="font-style: italic">"The main differences between the J107M and the J107H hunting pack are that the 'M' has a solid-nylon front when expanded (instead of the H's mesh panel), and the use of Cordura instead of our NT1 hunting fabric. In addition, the "Big Mouth" J107M has a wider scabbard, for over-sized sniper rifles, and an interior radio pocket with antenna portals."</span>

As is mentioned above, the main difference has to do with the rifle scabbard's design. The "H" version is much more narrow & won't accomodate most of the tactical/benchrest rifle rigs, while the "M" version incorporates the "Wide Mouth" scabbard, which is wider & has no issues with the large cross section that is common on rifles using match type stocks and large optics. This may or may not be a big deal, but if you're going to be carrying a "tactical" type weapon rig, the J107H is pretty much out of the picture.

From a weight perspective, both packs are going to run between 8-9 pounds empty and both can be laid out based on your intended needs. Which pack is best for you is going to come down to your needs, applications, and personal preference. Without knowing what you're going to be doing with the pack, these are tough questions to answer. If you could go into a little more detail, it would be helpful.

Based on your sig line, it appears that you're pretty well experienced with a number of different pack brands, designs, etc. Any info you can share regarding your previous experience (and likes/dislikes) with this kind of gear would also be helpful in getting you some "food for thought."

Best of luck!
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

I used to use a pack from REI for hunting. It fit me better than any other pack i have owned. It could be adjusted so that the lower back pad would sit on the lowest portion of my lower back. I could load it with all my gear and a deboned animal and it made my spine feel more rigid like i was carrying the weight on my hips.

I have since switched to the Dragonfly pack because it had all the features i was after like the Scabbard. However my biggest beef with it is that maxxed out on the length setting the lower back pad sits too high on my back. This isn't a problem with just my gear in the pack but with an animal on my back it pulls me backwards pivoting on my lower back straining my back. I have to muscle my weight forward to counter the pull backward instead of the pack doing its job. I'm 6'-2" I wish their packs fit bigger guys like me better. The Operator pack seems to have a little more length adjustment.

Ceylon-> I guess I'd go for the J107M model with Cordura and a wider rifle sock. But BOY! 8 to 9 lbs empty is a lot of weight for an unloaded pack. My big Dana Designs Terraplane winter backpack, of Cordura and at 7,000 cu. in. weighs only 7.5 lbs. I'll be sure to get my pack from you with that discount for SH members. I'll have to wait a bit for the purchase due to a back patio cover I built. The loan for that cover is paid this summer and THEN I can buy more toys. :eek:)

As for my opinions on packs I can say that "frameless" packs are only for small daypacks and Ultra Light backpacking fanatics carrying less that 20 lbs. total. Otherwise TEST the pack(s)you plan to buy for 30 minutes with a full load. Every <span style="font-weight: bold">body</span> is different and no one pack works for all, as in Jesse's case. Generally these days exterior frame packs are for monster loads over 50 lbs. and bulky loads, like elk quarters.

Jesse-> I'm 5'10 so I think the M version would fit me. Besides I drag my field dressed deer out on a plastic, roll-up "Deersleigher" sled. But I do like the add-on ability of a bag for packing out quartered meat.

I like the Eberlestock Dragonfly pack because I sometimes ski in and out of a hunting area with my backcountry skis and climbing skins and the pack allows me to carry the rifle biathalon style so I can use my ski poles. (I've actually competed in biathalons years ago.)

I had a dragon fly pack and used for about 1 year. Great pack put too heavy after filling with all my gear and walking all day it just got too be too much. Sold it. Bought another ebrerlestock pack that weighted about 5 lbs. Easy to day for day trips. Bought for the main reason to carry my gun on my back.